PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Guild Advice

weebob
06-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Guys,

Looking for some advice about starting to raid with our Social Guild if possible.

Myself and 4 other people formed a new guild after we left our old one, we started the guild as a social just to have a place called home. I've been made the GM, which is the first attempt for me. We have been up and running now for just about 2 months and now have over 210 members onboard and are quite stable (i hope).

We have been looking to start raiding in Kara but are having some dificulties getting a team together at the moment, we do have over 30 lvl70 in the guild, over 45 with alts but still we cant seem to get the right mix on all at the same time.

I now feel that I am starting to see some issues coming as we now have peeps Pug'ing Kara which just seems to make the whole issue worse.

Up until now I have tried to shy away from running Kara and filling all the spots we can from the Guild and pugging the vacant slots. My reasoning behind this is its not really a guild run then. Im begining to think that this is the wrong approach ?

Also, We have not really been actively recruiting for Lvl 70's to start raiding as I have known a lot of our current lvl 70's for some time and also a lot of the lvl 60+'s also. I feel as the GM I maybe letting them down a little if I just recruit and let brand new guildies take all the raid spots ? Man, Im so confussed what to do, and I think its affecting the guild a little ?

Any advice would be really gratefully welcomed.

Cheers,
Weebob

Clifford
06-09-2008, 05:23 AM
The best advice I can offer is to get a core raiding group together and supplement with less experienced guildies as well as pugs.

The core are those people that you trust and who will be around for a long time. Ideally your core should include a couple of healers and tanks.

Throng
06-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Advertise your planned raids in advance, either with the guild MOTD or Group Calendar then hopefully people won't PUG and will be online at the right time for you to pick a decent team.

weebob
06-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Guys,

THanks for the advice, its appreciated. We advertise the raids on our website and started to use Group calendar this weekend.

We have now also set standard raid evenings so its the same every week. I just keep my fingers cross that it all helps.

I hope we can get 10 people together to form a core. We have some great healers and tankage hopefully shouldnt be an issue. Time will tell. I hope I and the others can pull it all together, but its all pretty new to me.

Anyway, thanks for the advise again

Krashtork
06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I have been in nearly the exact situation as you are only i wasn't the GM, but one of the officers way back when in a past guild.

It is a very tough rut to work yourself out of without upsetting people. Many of those people cannot commit to raid days, but will feel left out if you raid without them. That cannot be something you allow yourself to be held back by.

You will start losing those people who are PuGing with others if you don't offer them the same thrill they are getting in Kara.

Start by making your intentions 100% clear. Let there be no suprises.

Come up with an attendance policy that affirms those that do come, and encourages people to raid on time.

Be clear and state that: If you don't sign up, you lose your right to complain about not getting a spot. If you want the spot sign up / show up. That way if you are forced to PuG, then it's not on your shoulders. Eventually you will start to see who shows up regularly and a core will develope. More and more people will want to come.

I imagine that eventually you will be turning people away saying that your raid is too full after awhile.

Best of luck!