PDA

View Full Version : Zul'Aman - Halazzi

Evelaula
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey,

I'm the maintank of our small guild. We only do 10 mans (All rerolled from alliance to horde having burnt out of 25 mans)

We have kara down to under 3 hours and are working on za. Last week we got the first 4 down, but this week we got stuck of halazzi. Had about 8-9 attempts on hi, some were failures due to totems and shocks and a couple were tank deaths.

A couple in particular where according to my combat log two saber lashes spread over 8 seconds but according to the healers it was almost instant.

Firstly, anyone got tips for the totems considering our group was very ranged dps intensive with on a rogue as melee dps

Secondly, just to check i am geared enough to tank this, and i didnt make any glaring play errors? (other than thunderclap not being up enough afaik)

I've included Armor and WWS for the instance.

Armory

WWS

kawika
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
can't open armory atm >.<

bigwings has annoucements for when the totems are being plopped (assume dbm would as well). targetting macros are key for this. casters can basically recycle their macro that they would have had for illhoof chains. should be something like:

/stopcast
/tar corrupted
/cast <whatever dmg spell you want>

once the OT has a hold of the lynx (or halazzi if you dps lynx and ot halazzi during split phase)....s/he can help dps the totems.

one comment on your raid make up...if i'm reading it right, you're using 4 healers? I think you should consider moving to 3 healers balance wise. Halazzi is an extreme fight on all fronts (tank mitigation, raid dps output, healer's HPS/mana efficiency).

any LW in the group? drums help if you have them (either haste or restoration works).

Evelaula
06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Yea we all use bigwigs and people have /tar corrup macros for hitting them down. Just seemed liek the ranged dps cant get it down until 2-3 lightening bolts have gone out.

I realise the groups not optional. Ones a prot pally who heals this fight but his gear unfortunatly doesnt let him tank it yet. Which when it does will allow us to switch the druid in to tank.

No mana issues however on the healers and with 4 healers people and tanks still dieing.

I dunno. We totally one shot him the week before with very similar group makeup, and the armoy works for me.

(http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34888)

Leytur
06-07-2008, 03:58 AM
I've only seen this guy once and we one shotted him. I'm scared about the second time. . . :O

kawika
06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
well i got armory to work for me again (was a browser issue) and i don't see any glaring issues with your gear. It's much better than what i had the first time i tanked him. We flipped flopped between myself and a better geared feral druid at the time and it seemed to work better with the druid on the boss and me picking up the lynx / killing totems.

try experimenting with player spacing to mitigate damage from the chain lightnings from the totems. i'm not 100% sure if this helps or not...but it may.

with your set up, it may be something you have to work on healing through. casters can have a hard time sustaining dps with target switching because of cast times.

If you have the moroes trinket, i wonder how that would do instead of the vengeance trinket....idea being to pop it when halazzi goes into his frenzy. I don't wear it myself as the group i run with has 2 hunters which can tranq shot it...but that's where the hurt from halazzi comes in tank wise.

Kelan
06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Not sure what your feral druids gear is like, but you might consider switching roles with him if tank death is still a problem once you work out slow totem killing problem.

Why is a druid better? Iirc, he does not crush...he hits pretty hard and he hits fast, and saber lash can be nasty. A druid would be a less spikey target to deal with, even if his gear is a bit behind yours.

Evelaula
06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback people, some decent ideas. I'll give the druid a shot tanking the main hits. Handnt considered that before. Her gears definitly good enough to tank him so we'll give that a crack next time.

Unfortunatly the Dodge trinket just refuses to drop for me off moroes.

Eve

Leytur
06-11-2008, 05:03 AM
OK I got my second kill on him last night and it wasn't a breeze.

Some things I noticed:

You MUST be stacked in his unified form. Saber Lash is an instakill. Even when stacked, it hit me for 10k. Make sure your healers know you've gotta be 70% or above the whole fight. If you keep 4 healers that shouldn't be hard.

Your DPS MUST have the macro mentioned above. Slow switching to the totems is a raid killer. They hit on cloth for quite a bit so having more than one bolt hit a clothy can be bad. Make sure healers know that during split phase raid healing is a priority. One healer should be able to keep up both tanks.

We keep DPS on Halazzi and just tank the Lynx til they combine. So make sure the tank on the Lynx picks it up immediately or it will go straight for a healer. Then pull Lynx back to Halazzi so you're quick to stack again on combine.

If you have a feral druid and have the option to NOT have them tank--do it. Rebirth may come in handy and if you have 2 other capable tanks they should do the tanking. Heck even have the druid off heal if that's what your pally was doing. Casting rebirth while tanking though is an instagib in the making.

That's what I learned from last night.

Bosk
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I've found there is little leeway when stacking for the Sabrelash - particularly with taurens.

You gotta look like you are riding that bear!

Zajik
06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Yup, just make sure all the ranged are spread out in a semi-circle around him. Keep stacked up for combined phase. We general don't spin him around until after the first split to avoid a full saberlash while positioning.

If you are having issues with stacking put marks on the two tanks, diamond and star work nicely, then look straight down on yourself when stacking and the marks will flatten out and just stack them perfectly and you will be set.

Hope this helps (if you haven't already gotten it worked out that is :)

Raize
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Even though the fight is simple, he can put out a decent amount of damage to your tanks in a short amount of time.

The two biggest cause of wipes as i've seen it are :

1) Not having tanks stack immediately (during non-totem phase). I dis-agree completely with a previous post. There is little leeway with the sabre lash. An instant 17k+ hit on any tank is not something i would risk under any circumstance.

2) Flame Shock. If not dispelled, kills people very quickly.

Leytur
06-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Yes, Saber Lash happens early and often. You have to have the second tank riding jock.

Jodatee
07-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Hmmm. Ok. I might just be taking what you said the wrong way but if this is what your saying then maybe I can help.
About the saber lashes... They are absolutely devastating if both tanks aren't sharing the damage of the cleave and could definitely seem instant to the healers lol.
Have both the MT and OT head in at the same time and tank either stacked on top of one another or side-byside (so close that it looks like your holding hands out of fear lol) This will share the massive cleave and make healing managable for the healers.
When the Linx spawns up have the OT pick him up and keep him (or drag him back) so that. again. both tanks are snuggling. This assures that when the cat despawns, the tanks will immediately be close enough to share the cleave dmg when the cleaves begin again.
If you tank in this method, Halazzi should pretty much be a cake walk for the most part.
Just make sure the dps wstes no time on the totems and your set :)

Reod
07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Its also important to stress to your healers that the OT can take ~18k dmg in around 4 seconds. So when they see the OT's life go down they need to be on the ball atleast throwing one heal.

I'm undergeared but I noticed last night I got hit for 9.1k then 4 seconds later I got hit for 9.2k. The healers didn't give me a heal in that amount of time and I dropped like a rock.

Tedd
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Have 18k HP minimum?

I've solo'd the dude before when my bear friend went down due to the tuaren/undead clipping issue.

Shinpachi22
08-01-2008, 11:16 AM
My guild got him in two tries the first time I went along. This was the strategy we used the second time around:

Halazzi starts off being tanked by both tanks, just so they both have good amounts of agro if oe of them dies. the tanks MUST stack on top of each other in order to seperate the damage of his cleave-style move. if both tanks split the damage, you don't have as stressed a healing section.

Assign one of the tanks to take the cat when they split apart. Keep stacked even when they do this so that cleave, which does the most damage, is still split. Remember that they continue to come together and split 2 more times, so keep an eye out. That is what the tank needs to know.

DPS has to remember to keep focused. Focused Fire is the best way to take this guy down. When he is a single entity, attack him. when he splits apart, attack the Troll side of him (I think you can attack the cat and get the same results, but we did the troll so just to be safe...). When a totem pops up, put all the DPS on the totem, take it out FAST, that thing is a killer. The reason we wiped the first time is because we were trying to DPS the cat, troll, and totem at the same time. That's not gonna fly. Focus on the target at hand and you will be okay.

Special Hunter note: Halazzi enrages. I'm not sure if warrior's shield bash takes off this buff, but a hunter's tranquil(ity?) shot does. Have a hunter in your group and make sure he/she knows this.

In terms of healing, just make sure that they know their targets. I know I'm reiterating what others have already said, but I like to be thorough. After the first few times a totem comes out and after you get the lynx the first time, this becomes clockwork. Halazzi is easy if you know what to do. Heck, ANYTHING in this game is easy if you know what to do and you have the gear to back it up.

EDIT: Also, I have a question to those who have done the fight more. I stayed on top of the other tank the entire time, and the cleave was incosistant. I would block it and nobody would get damaged, or only one of us would get hit, or one of us would block and the other one woul take either half the blow or all the blow (this is while the oter tank had the agro all the time, I was on lynx duty). Any comments on that?

phaze
08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
the cleave was incosistant. I would block it and nobody would get damaged, or only one of us would get hit, or one of us would block and the other one woul take either half the blow

This is normal; it can be avoided.

or all the blow
This is the server thinking you are not standing at the same place as the other tank. ;)

Make sure your tanking location is not on a weird spot, such as a transition in the floor.

Andenthal
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
EDIT: Also, I have a question to those who have done the fight more. I stayed on top of the other tank the entire time, and the cleave was incosistant. I would block it and nobody would get damaged, or only one of us would get hit, or one of us would block and the other one woul take either half the blow or all the blow (this is while the oter tank had the agro all the time, I was on lynx duty). Any comments on that?

The Cleave will hit the current target (main tank)for about 15k damage. If there is another target in front of the boss in melee range, that target will split the damage with the tank. If there is no other targets within frontal melee range, the main tank gets the entire force of the blow.

The Cleave can be Dodged/Parried/Blocked just as normal abilites, which is likely why you thought it only hit 1 target, or no targets at all. I bet if you parsed your combat log you'd find that it was often Dodged or Parried.

Shinpachi22
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I bet if you parsed your combat log you'd find that it was often Dodged or Parried.

I do block/dodge/parry it about half the time, but the thing is that we would spit the damage or all the damage would hop onto one of us, eve if we were standing exactly togeher.

Of course, it would help to know if we are exactly 2gether if he was the same race as me... NE's have such a spread-out stance