PDA

View Full Version : Help with WWS

Belak
06-06-2008, 09:14 AM
My guild wants to use WWS more to help us figure out where people are doing well, where they can use improvement, etc. It's a phenomenal tool, but it's also somewhat overwhelming and we want to make sure we're using it correctly.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to learn to read it? I looked around on the WWS forums but didn't see any guides. What should we be looking for? Are there any limitations that we need to know about before we call somebody out for something that the log doesn't record?

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, here is our report from last night's SSC run. Starts with Lurker and ends with Leo.

Crimson Fury vs. SSC (http://wowwebstats.com/fbnyky4g5myqm)

bludwork
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Usually helps comparing two players of the same spec, buffs they have and their spell rotations. Do not use it as a blame tool but rather as an improvement tool. E.g you spot someone doing low dps.. lets say Canthia. Very low dps across the two fights

Leo is not shadow priest fight so I'll skip that but he/she should be doing a lot more than less than 500 dps on lurker. So why the low dps?

-Low spell damage. Why is he stacking +crit? Shadow priest should be only stacking +damage throughout.
-375 tailoring and too lazy to complete the shadow weave set? Shadowweave robe is better than that thing from night bane
-Bad spec, like 3/5 shadow focus when he's not hit capped, it seems like he's specced to PVP (points in absolution, matyrdom, improved fear, silence, shadow resilience)
-Unenchanted gear, Main hand not enchanted, gloves, robe, helm, legs not enchanted.
-no effort to upgrade through badge gear

Put that all together and you have a Shadow priest doing 484 dps on lurker.

Shortypop
06-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Blud's done a good job with a specific case, I'll just skim through some more general things:

- hit/miss - both melee and spell - make sure you hit the "+" button to distinguish between miss, dodge and parry
- melee being parried - bad!
- any caster wanding - check their mana pot/gem usage under buffs and debuffs
- shammy totems - click on a shammy and then click on a totem will tell you how many times it was used (across the whole night, or across a single fight)
- buffs (castable, eatable and temporary weapon ones) are shown under buffs and debuffs, as are things like the debuff caused by leo's ww.

As to what are its limitations, basically everything it shows happens, however it doesnt necessarily show the whole story. A hunters dps much lower on leo for example, may be due to him getting demon'ed every time, tank dies on leo, might be because a healer was healing someone who got ww'ed, melee dps low on lurker - he mght have run out to avoid every whirl (unlike the others) or may have been threat-capped. Some of these you can investigate using wws, but take some looking others are not possible to fully explore.

I'd start with the more general things :)

Tobius
06-07-2008, 02:44 PM
There are two main things we use WWS for: Improving raid members perfomance and seeing where things went wrong on a fight.

Bludwork pointed out a good example of how you can check specific members you may have concerns about - particulary comparing WWS and Armoury. When we were first raiding with WWS it made it really clear to casters how much getting +hit mattered for e.g.

If things are going wrong on a fight - you can use WWS to make sure people were dpsing the right targets, healing the right tanks etc. and also you can tell exactly whats killing people and things like that.

phaze
06-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Anybody have any suggestions on how to learn to read it? I looked around on the WWS forums but didn't see any guides. What should we be looking for? Are there any limitations that we need to know about before we call somebody out for something that the log doesn't record?

Nicene's WWS Rundown (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2856017766)

It's a decent guide on how to use WWS. Some of the info is slightly dated (no extending the combat log post2.4, for example), and some of the links to other guides may not be working, but it's a good overview.