PDA

View Full Version : Guild Relations 5

Ciderhelm
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
http://media.libsyn.com/media/ciderhelm/Guild_Relations_5.mp3

Podcast Information
This podcast answers member-submitted questions on guild management. Questions primarily revolve around addressing concerns with individuals in raids, as well as raising expectations across the guild.

Ciderhelm
06-04-2008, 01:52 AM
We are currently stuck on Bloodboil, having completed everything in MH and even up to Reliquary in BT. The problem that we are having is generally people die during the Fel Rage, meaning a tank has to pick him up for some or all of the Fel Rage, often resulting in one or more tanks dying, and thus wiping the raid.

The problem I have is that as a dpser and non-officer, I have been rebuffed or told not to comment on healing strategy by the healing officer. The healers are getting very touchy about any sort of criticism. I have thought about talking to the other officers or the GM, but I'm not sure how they would take my "interference." How do I best address this problem without offending people too much and also in a manner that will help the guild progress through this boss?

Recently my guild leader has contacted me to gauge my interest in being a part of the raid leading corps for the guild. I am hesitant to accept this position because:

1. It is difficult to be situationally aware of raid mistakes as a tank.
2. Getting stuck on a boss can hurt morale and cause drama, which is a SERIOUS weight upon the RL's shoulders.

What steps do you take to prepare for a progression fight? Do you make notes during your research, or just wing it with while looking at bosskillers? Do you post up the strat and hope most of the people will look at it ahead of time?

Also, In your podcast you mentioned not even stopping to mark, how do you handle this? I just don't think my guild can handle having nothing marked, is there some method you use to make people know what needs tanking (and by who) and what needs sheeping/ccing (and by who) and then the kill order?

My guilds karazhan run was posted on the guild calender for 7:30pm. I signed in at 7:20pm only to find that I had been declared "Late". I wouldve been fine with this but i had noticed that a warlocks alt tank was in the run.

You could hardly call 7:20 late as there was no mention of invites going out earlier. This has really changed the way i view my guild. Should alt running ever be allowed regardless of the circumstances?

I know I'm getting very frustrated by the slow pulling, I know at least a couple people in my guild feel like I do but not enough. People seem to feel they need every buff for every trash pull, or they need to drink and be at full mana between pulls. What I don't know that you covered very well in the podcast (at least not for me) is the HOW. How does one break people of this. As the tank I could just pull (and have once or twice) but it usually results in mass deaths and sometimes a wipe, people yelling or generally getting frustrated and seems to do more harm than good. I guess I could just keep doing it until people started playing better but I'm afraid people will just stop coming and then no one gets to raid.

Upon coming to Bloodboil it has become VERY apparant that [our Paladin tank's] understanding of how to tank is extremely sub par.

I feel that it is not my place to say anything as i only joined the guild 8 months ago, [so my] question is, how, as a guild officer, would you deal with this type of situation?

i cannot for the life of me get people to run ZA. there are 3 or 4 guild member planned karazhan runs a week and no amount of badgering or suggesting seems to get people away from that dump. if it was the occasional alt gearing run, or even the occasional run for badges to get over the hump i wouldnt mind so much - but these groups are heavily main raiders who admittedly run it because they can sleep through it and dont have to pay attention. it is to the point that our meager ZA groups suffer due to attrition to karazhan. with your podcasts on time management, mechanization and speed and efficiency how would you go about getting people away from the content they can sleep through and into content that actually requires effort, and subsequently better rewards.

Lavache
06-04-2008, 06:42 AM
im sure you are on top of it, but this isnt updating in itunes or in the RSS feed. otherwise im looking forward to it.

Edgar
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Shadowpriests! Shadowpriest that can play their class do not have to drink and will make casters not have to drink. I think they are a big bonus to a raid.

Ciderhelm
06-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Should work now Lavache.

Lavache
06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Should work now Lavache.

getting them now. thanks :)

Ciderhelm
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Edited in the questions I responded to; they are probably not in the exact order I responded to them.

Shortypop
06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
As far as ZA question goes. A lot of people really dislike the place, for one reason or another, with 3-4 kara runs a week, I'm guessing you have a fairly large guild, if you really want to run ZA, for whatever reason, I'd individually approach 9 others (nicely balanced group) and try and set up a consistent run, with a good group who outgear the place, after a little while its as quick as kara. If you cant find them in guild, look outside it, but for me ZA is all about a consistent core-group.

Set it up, so that people know you're going to run it on thursdays (for example) for the next three weeks, and will see how it goes after that. For me ZA can be complete hell or a really great place, I suspect a lot of people only know the "hell" side of ZA, you need to show them the fun and enjoyable side to it.

For a T6 guild, which I think I heard Cider say you are, I can't imagine ZA is much more difficult than Kara really, its just that everyone knows kara soooo well.

Magnusharkov
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey cider, I have a couple of questions for a future guild podcast.

1) Overall I'm really happy with the skill level in my guild, our DPS, Tanks and Healers all know what they are doing and they perform well for their gear level. However we do seem to have picked up quite a few healers and DPSers who pretty much suck at paying attention to whats around them when not healing and DPSing. How do you recommend dealing with people who are good at their primary job but really struggle on the less forgiving fights and often die/cause wipes on fights like Archimonde, Supremus, Gorefiend and Bloodboil.

2) How do you handle raid composition when going to Bloodboil and RoS? Both are progression content for us. For our guild it seems like we need 9 healers and 2 shadow priests while with RoS it is much more DPS heavy and you could maybe get away with 6 healers. How do you handle fairly rotating people in and out for these fights (and other situations like this) or do you typically try to make a raid setup which will be flexible enough to handle both fights.