PDA

View Full Version : Kalecgos Tanking...

Jericho
05-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Alright my guild has been making attempts on Kalecgos for the last several weeks. We have been getting closer and closer to a breakthru. As an officer and main tank, I am still thinking that we are missing the elephant in the room. We are just missing something.

We are using a tank portal transition of 2-4-5. Letting Kalecgos (Human) tank for the first portal. We are not in full T6, but are all three well geared. We seem to be having more death's vs the demon than the dragon (although those do happen as well). Is there any tips on surviving Corrupting Strike other than having better healing? Free Action Pots, Medallions, Live Action Pots, these have all been bandied about as option. I am just not sold on "wasting" my pot cooldown on something other than an Ironshield, or dropping a stamina trinket for a PvP trinket.

Our setup is basically using 2 healers per group 2-5 and a "floater" healer. Using portals 2-4-5 has made the portal to portal transitions much smoother, however it leaves our first tank with 2 healers through a transition which is scary as hell. Inside Kal can tank during this time, but outside its scary.

Any tips?

Worldie
05-23-2008, 05:37 AM
You should absolutely not use FAPs, Ironshields are way better.

You should also not base tanks on portal numbers, but rather on the timer on the other tanks. The ideal transitions take the second tank entering when the first has 30 seconds left, and the third entering when the second has 30 seconds left, and then just entering whenever the debuff is over.

Also if possible, get "full t6", ask for some kind of loot prio if you don't have it on the next bt-mh clear, all the fights in Sunwell are based on tanks with that level of gear. Anywhere less means you are risking to die, and dead tank = wipe, while dead DPS might still lead to kills.
All the 3 tanks must aim for the best possible gear, there's no way to run from that.

Groundchuck
05-23-2008, 07:29 AM
You should absolutely not use FAPs, Ironshields are way better.

You should also not base tanks on portal numbers, but rather on the timer on the other tanks. The ideal transitions take the second tank entering when the first has 30 seconds left, and the third entering when the second has 30 seconds left, and then just entering whenever the debuff is over.

Also if possible, get "full t6", ask for some kind of loot prio if you don't have it on the next bt-mh clear, all the fights in Sunwell are based on tanks with that level of gear. Anywhere less means you are risking to die, and dead tank = wipe, while dead DPS might still lead to kills.
All the 3 tanks must aim for the best possible gear, there's no way to run from that.

Absolutely. The amount of tank damage (and raid damage) that goes on during this fight is substantially higher than any fight in BT or Hyjal. Compound this with the fact that your healers will be split up and constantly transitioning. The instance is tuned for guilds that have the highest levels of gear and it's pretty much necessary.

With that in mind this is how we ran our tanks:
3 tanks. 1 prot warrior 2 bears on our first kill.

Tank with the "worst" gear starts on the dragon.(bear1)
Tank with the best gear starts on the demon.(prot)
Tank 3 starts floating. (bear2)

Portals look like this:
P1: prot
P3: bear 1
P5: bear 2
P7: prot
etc...

When I enter the first portal I demo/clap/sunder and WAIT for 2 healers to be on the portal side before taunting the demon. Waiting and communicating is the most important part of this tanking IMO. Healers and the other tanks have to know what is going on. The spike potential on the demon is extremely high so you want healers prepared to heal the new tank.

I do it like this:
"Gc taunting demon in 5"
*heals prepare*
"Gc taunting demon"
*heals already landing by this point*
"Demon on Gc"
* heals are on track and it's a smooth transition*

If you just run in and taunt healers are playing catchup and that can get you owned during the stun.

byechee
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
if you have boss mods enabled, or if you're just savvy, you can wait until sathrovarr corrupting strikes on human kalecgos to taunt. then, when you tank sath, just keep up demo tclap and shield block while sundering. you can let human kalec tank for a bit if need be, to reduce the burden on your healers, and just wait till after a corrupting strike to taunt him back. obviously don't let kalec get too low tho, and make sure you tank sathrovarr full on once that enrage hits.

Jericho
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Well ... I came up with this portal idea based on a few other strategies out there. With the 2-4-5 tank portals it lets 2 tanks overlap a bit, but it also "forces" the first dragon tank to be the only person left to get the 5th portal. I do not know if this is the best, but its a good idea to do what you are saying so we will attempt to do just that.

As for "full t6"... Well, my guild gives zero tank loot priority and no matter how much coaxing and arguing about the need for it, it just is not going to happen. We have 1 tank with helm/gloves/pants/shoulders, one with chest/pants/shoulders/gloves and 1 using faceplate/enforcement/pants/shoulders. Unfortunately for the tanks our shaman are numerous and do not believe in passing the chests to the tanks. There is only 1 piece of BT/Hyjal tank loot that has not dropped for us and that is the insignia. Having just the chest piece on our last two tanks would increase our overall avoidance by a great deal.

byechee
05-23-2008, 02:39 PM
The tanks don't need all the "best" gear, as long as they and the healers are smart. For our kill last week we used our MS warrior who still has t4 helm/supremus shoulders/glory of the defender/enforcement/t6 pants.

with 3 tanks i think the best strategy is main tank on dragon first, then OT's take the first and third portals. You don't want the arcane debuff to stack too high on your MT, so you need the first OT to come out of the spectral realm as soon as possible. after that, tanks should taunt immediately when they come out and take ports whenever their debuff allows, or whenever the tank inside has around 20 seconds left.

Worldie
05-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I've always been against any kind of loot priority, but if Kalecgos can be forgiving as long as healers are good and smart (which is not always true), the two tanks WILL need the best gear available for Brutallus later.
So, better before than later...

I'd suggest the best geared tank on Kalecgos first, since being the one that will stay outside for more, he'll also get big burst damage due to the arcane pulse.

elio
05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
We have been trying Kalec for the past couple weeks with some good progress. I am one of the tanks and we keep getting killed during Demon phase tanking. Here is my armory- is my gear up to par. I think it is as the only upgrades left for me in BT is the Bulwark and the Shadowmoon Insignia.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Bulldozer)

What is you guys stratergy for demon tanking?

Marn
05-27-2008, 09:39 AM
The more often you can time the Corrupting Strike to land on human Kalecgos instead of you, the better. Now, that could be difficult given that it involves swapping aggro between yourself and him, but that's the answer you're going to get a lot of the time.

Make sure thunderclap and demo shout are always up, and you may want to be using some sort of armor potion, and make sure your healers are on point. Also, call out the Corrupting Strike on vent, I think most raid addons have a timer for that.

Rak
05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
None of our tanks have Shadowmoon Insignia, so you definitely don't need it. Use thunder clap and demo shout on the demon *before* you taunt him. Beyond that I'm not sure what other advice can be given.

Indris
05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
As all the people above said, the importance of having TC and demo shout up on the mobs, especially the demon, cannot be stressed enough. The incoming damage reduction from TC/demo is simply immense. Apart from that, you need to be smart around using your cooldowns and so should be your healers; there are usually some key points in the fight - when your tanks / groups are left with fewer healers / higher debuffs than usually and everyone should be ready to use all resources during that time, this includes dpsers bandanging up after shadowbolt volleys/arcane buffets, throwing around gifts of naaru and stuff like that. The fight is definitely doable without full T6 gear but you need for everyone to be very much awake and ready to think and act on the spot correctly for it to be possible.