PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a fresh fury spec'ed warrior ?

Futeko
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Hello there,

Let me explain the whole situation. I raid with my guild as a protection spec'ed warrior, usually as an off-tank, though I sometimes play as the main tank.
However, we have "too much" tanks in our guilds - we have 6 potential tanks : 2 feral druids, 3 warriors and 1 paladin. Usually it isn't a problem because most of the raids at least one tank is not available - we usually raid with an average of 4 tanks. And if there are too much tanks for a raid, one of the feral druids just goes full DPS.

The "problem" is that we're now dedicating full evenings to Vashj. We're trying to get her down, but our strategy only requires two tanks. Which means that most of the time, we end up with too much tanks and must make a choice.

One of those evenings, I respec'ed Fury in order to see how much DPS I could provide with the few DPS items I had the opportunity to collect during my heroic/raiding times. And the result was horrible - my average DPS was 450, which is half of what a DPS warrior should be providing at this state.

My two main problems are that I am very uncomfortable with a DPS spec, since I've been prot-spec'ed since day first. It was my first experience as a DW fury warrior, so I was feeling very uneasy, discovering the abilities and the rotations.

My other problem is that my gear is really lacking. I have a few good DPS items, but more than half of my equipment is made of blues. Be.imba.hu gives it a score of 154, which is way too low for the content I'd be raiding in.

I would like to be able to respec to a DPS build whenever we have too much tanks and that it is my turn to pass on the tank slot, but for that I have to be able to output a decent DPS.

More info on my rotation/gear :

I use Bloodthirst whenever it is up ; if it is on CD, I use WW ; if both are on CD, I refresh Battle Shout and/or Rampage if needed, else if I'm over 40-50 rage I throw an HS.

My gear : The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sargeras&n=C%C3%A9l%C3%A8ste)
There are a few problems with it, other than the overall quality : there are still a few green-quality gems, and since I'm over the hit cap, I should replace the few +hit gems I have with +Str ones.
Also, I'm using a fast MH. I use the Quickening Blade because it has better stat than the best slow MH I have, the S1 sword ; however, should I go for the S1 sword instead, preferring the speed to the stats ?

I know I must be doing something wrong, because today with the same gear, with a protection spec, I gave a 700DPS on the Shade of Aran. I thought that since killing the elementals on Vashj requires a lot of running around, I'd lose most of my DPS there, but I took a few glances at my DPS at the end of phase 1, and it was never above 500.

I have the two 2H-weapons that drop in Kara, Despair and Gorehowl. Should I go for an Arms spec instead, using one of those ?

As for my gear, I guess it lacks of AP a lot. I know I can get a better chest piece in Magister Terrace, and better legplates in the Mechanaar, but as for the rest I don't really know where to go ; the few advised gear lists I consulted showed that the PvP gear I could get (S2 and below) is not good for PvE.

I would be very thankful for any advice you could provide :)

Corbusier
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Step 1: read the 5th Edition DW Fury Guide at the top of this forum

Futeko
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
This is the first thing I did before my respec :/. If I was able to pull my build and my rotation out of nowhere then I don't think I would come here and seek advice. Thanks anyway for the heads up.

Kream
05-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Well I'm in a similar situation. After building an amazing tank set, I joined a guild and they had one too many tanks. So right now I'm raiding MH/BT with gear I've thrown together from drops no one wanted/crafted epics/honor rewards. And surprisingly enough, I'm showing up on the DPS charts. I did 1.2K DPS on Anetheron (stationary fight ftw) with no badge gear, no arena gear, and 3 crap drops from 25 mans. So I'll tell you what I've learned:

1) The #1 factor in how much damage you do is being at the right place at the right time. Read up on the boss fight on bosskillers, get your boots enchanted with agi/runspeed and be there 2 seconds before everyone else.
2) Put effort into your gear. Your worst piece may be with you for a very long time, so get it enchanted/gemmed properly.
3) Have options. Often a single upgrade will change what stats you need. Having quite a few options in the bank will help you maintain properly balanced stats.
4) You won't find a group as fury. Stay prot to farm your gear.
5) Don't be afraid to wear leather. Most leather items are itemized with agi/AP/crit/hit for better DPS gains than plate. The number of different stats on an item matters. The item with a wider spread of stats gets more bang for the buck. For instance Sunrage Treads > Sunstrider Warboots.
6) Develop a source of income. Buying (or buying the mats to craft) your gear will enable you to work on your gear even when you can't find a group.
7) If the item you have has a blue socket, socket a red gem. You'll lose DPS by matching the socket color (except for the 2 blue gems you will need for your meta)
8) If you are going to be wearing blues, wear 2 pieces of doomplate. The 2 pc bonus is amazing.

OK now looking at your armory, here is what I see as good easy upgrades.
Back - Cloak of Darkness (crafted)
Belt - Red Belt of Battle (crafted)
Chest - Netherforce Chestplate (H MgT)
Helm - Warbringer > Gladiator > Doomplate
Meta - Relentless Earthstorm Diamond - this is the meta you need
Shoulders - Ragesteel (crafted) or Doomplate (heroic) - if you are hitting the 2 pc
Gloves - Fel Leather Gloves (crafted)
Legs - Midnight Legguards (heroic) maybe even Fel Leather if you don't have the patience
Trinket - Shard of Contempt (heroic) - you must have this
Trinket2 - I have Hourglass of the Unraveler and Icon of Unyielding Courage. At your AP, the trinket you have will probably outperform them, but the hourglass will soon be a better choice than the AP trinket and the +hit trinket can help if an upgrade completely screws over your hit rating. It also makes a nice threat trinket for tanking.
Main hand - Breeching Comet

And finally my armory which for now has me in fury gear:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gul%27dan&n=Kream)

Edit: I just got an upgrade so my stats may be slightly odd as I work out the details of my +hit. Also, don't forget you can use +20 hit rating food to make up a hit rating gap without downgrading your gear.

Tatt
05-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I cannot see your armory from work, but in response to Kream's advice, if you are making the ragesteel shoulders go ragesteel gloves also, very nice hit rating bonus which I believe puts them ahead of the leather gloves. Unless you are having a hit rating problem, I would take the pants from h mech over the midnight ones.

Kream
05-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Even if you aren't having hit rating problems, the leather will probably still be better.

Midnight Legguards vs Vanquisher's Legplates

-15 AP (w/ kings)
+17 hit
+4 crit

Not a huge difference, I guess whatever drops first (so long as you aren't allergic to leather)

Korlong
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Even if you aren't having hit rating problems, the leather will probably still be better.

Midnight Legguards vs Vanquisher's Legplates

-15 AP (w/ kings)
+17 hit
+4 crit

Not a huge difference, I guess whatever drops first (so long as you aren't allergic to leather)

Fel Leather Leggings are better than both.

Futeko
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll work on getting those upgrades :).