PDA

View Full Version : Having a tough time on illidan

BiGjD
05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
As the topic suggests I am having troubles.

Having joined a new guild that has cleared BT and MH I was looking forward to improving my game and seeing something new. Now I managed to impress my new guildies by main tanking RoS and Bloodboil successfully on my first ever night in BT and I was looking forward to seeing illidan.

Now at the moment I am farming my fire res stuff to tank the embers but when our MT was unable to arrive on time lastnight for the illidan kill they asked me to step in and tank.

What happened next made my jaw quite literally drop and seriously made me rethink my approach to the entire fight. My gear is lacking abit for this level however it will improve dramatically very quickly but I have 1 peice of T6 with the gun from gorefiend and the cloak from the trash mobs. The remainder of my gear is mostly T5 level with the odd T4 bit dotted around (helm).

When I engaged him I was literally dead in 2 seconds flat. After looking through the combat logs to my dismay I noticed he parried 2 of my attacks in rapid succession and thus ending my attempt very quickly.

So should I try get some more expertise on my gear? Was it bad luck or is my gear just not nearly good enough for the encounter?

byechee
05-21-2008, 11:38 AM
what shield are you using? your gear is a little subpar, but you won't get flat-out owned like that every single time. Healers will simply need to spam you harder.

BiGjD
05-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Well in all fairness the healers could have not kept me up like that haha. He parried me twice so I took insane burst damage right from the word go. I am using the shield from zul'aman.

Actually an armory link would probably be better.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodfeather&n=Jd)

Now bare in mind I have various replacement items I use for certain fights and situations like any good tank should have so what I am using it there is not what I use every fight but for the majority of them. I think I was using the dodge trinket for moroes on that illidan attempts and not the parry trinket from zul'jin.

Also if at the time of checking I happen to be wearing some wierd DPS gear it's for farming purposes as duel wield devastate spam is so nice haha

Worldie
05-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Istagib on Illidan "can" happen in case of big unluck.

Last time we did it at some point during p1 i just died. Took a 34k spike (MH+OH twice) in like 1 second, due to parryes while he turned for parasites, and i'm 6/8 T6.

Don't worry, not your fault tbh, i've tanked Illidan with worse stats.

BiGjD
05-22-2008, 01:49 AM
So it was just me being very unlucky? haha well I feel abit better now but I doubt the guild will allow me to tank illidan himself untill I have some better gear. I plan to stack some expertise for that fight to try reduce his parry chance anyway because it was so embarrassing :mad:

Worldie
05-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Tbh that won't do much, the burst usually comes when he turns to use Parasite/Agonizing Flames and so all the melees will get parries, so don't bother too much

BiGjD
05-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Ah well this wasn't on a parasite or anything I don't think, it literally happened the moment I engaged him. I smacked him twice he turns to me I go to move him abit and BANG I am dead so fast I was sat there in shock haha

Nez
05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
The start and phase changes can be dangerous, takes a few secs for the healers to get heals landing if they aren't on the ball. I would guess most Illface tanks have been the victim of that at one time or another. Sounds like a little bad luck with a parry and slow heals and you got fragged. I like to Ironshield pot right before he goes live to help with that.

If you have hunters in the raid, they can misdirect to you and that lets the healers unload on you at the pull without fear of getting aggro. They healers may of been slacking a bit at the start if they are used to healing a very well geared tank on that fight. so don't worry about it, it happens. I was still wearing my pan'zar BP when I tanked him the first time. hehe.

Thorik
05-27-2008, 11:06 AM
As others have said, it's not your gear. In BT, gear helps, but largely isn't required. (Sunwell is an entirely different story)
This sounds a bit like my guild's first attempt at Ill. We initiated the fight for the first time, and Illidan hit me 5 straight times and I was toast. For most tanks, this is a fairly rare occurance given decent levels of avoidance, but it does and will happen. I'd double check that you have everything you can on you that won't make the healers get initial agro: prayer of mending, earth shield, etc. After that, you just have to trust your healers!

Indris
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Tell your DPS warrior to TC / Demo shout him the moment you engage, 20% slower attack rate and the AP reduction makes a tremendous difference. Apart from that, meh. You should be able to tank him in T5 stuff NP really, harder on healers but he doesn't hit hard enough for instagibs to be a common occurence whatsoever.