PDA

View Full Version : Member Management for Raiding Guilds

Indu.san
05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
This was prompted after reading the "Time Management for Raiding Guilds" simply because I thought it reflected everything I have found while raiding as a member as well as officer and was inspired to add the Member and Loot management to provide a more complete picture. All three aspects (time, members, loot)
EDIT: i was also going to post a loot article, but i believe Cinderhelm has covered that as well.
I am choosing to present independently for the sake of consistency. I apologize for any redundancy, I have not spent a lot of time on tank spot.

Members
Having Clearly Defined roles/ranks for different members is essential for establishing a happy and reliable membership. It allows members as well as organizers to know at a glance what to expect of others as well as themselves. For my purposes I am going to group possible ranks into two categories: officer, non-officer.

Officers: Officers are the group of people who set the goals for the guild. They are also those primarily responsible for doing all they can to make sure those goals are reached.

The Guild Manager: The GM is simply the person who has the final word, whether it be to settle a dispute or provide directives. They may encompass any, all, or none of the following officer positions. An effective GM will be in touch with each of the officers and their jobs and provide support or demand better performance as necessary.

The Bank Manager: This person manages the guild bank. Selling/managing BoE items that drop during raids, requisitioning/buying materials for pots/elixirs/flasks, resist gear, etc and getting them to the specialized crafters are the primary concern of the Bank Manager. This role may be as large or small as your guild desires. Bank Managers should have a workable knowledge of wow-economics and the auction house.

The Raid Leader: The Raid Leader is responsible for having everyone on the same page during a Raid encounter. Like a GM they may directly control everyone or delegate responsibilities throughout the raid. An effective raid leader will provide strategies on a website before raids and make adjustments for your own raids configuration. Raid leaders and Guild managers to work together to stick to an effective time management plan.

The Loot Master: Whatever loot system you use this person has the loot bag on their raid icon. This person should be familiar with your loot system and its intricacies (e.g. alt/off-specs). An effective loot master will get their job done as quickly as possible, and insist people continue pulling while loot is being distributed.

The Recruit Officer: WoW is a game. A strong online community, but people will stop playing for real life, or even gquit over disputes with other members. The Recruit Officer should work to ensure that come raid time 25 people are online and ready to go. That means some nights you may have too many people on but that will be the reality until you have 25 people who consistently are ready at raid time. It's also worth noting that having a few extra people can improve game play if people feel they are competing for raid spots, though they may also feel they should not have to compete for raid spots. It is also important for recruitment officers to understand what role people are seeking when they ask to join that of a raider or a member. Maintaining a balanced base of core raiders should be the goal of any good recruit officer.

Non-Officers:
Raiders: Raiders are the people consistently ready for raids (85%-100% ability to raid, consumable ready). They come knowing their basic role for any upcoming fight (hopefully from a strat/vid posted by Raid Leader), and can easily understand what a raid leader is attempting to get them to do. These are the people who will make or break your raid. They are the skilled workers of your society.

Member:Members at large are simply that. They raid when their schedule permits and understand that if they want to be given an unconditional raid spot when they are online they need to act as described above. Members may also be social friends in game who simply want a place to enjoy the game outside of a raid environment. The players who make up your general membership are a good indicator of what kind of guild you are. In a hardcore guild there would be no member rank, you would have 25-30 raiders.

There are other common ranks left undiscussed. I believe they are either unnecessary or more refined versions of the above. Members could be broken down into several groups, but the only real purpose of that would be social. Raiders could have a Class Leader rank also, but due to the viability of multiple class specs this becomes cumbersome. It is more effective to have the raid leader simply assign coordinators for different roles in raids (Melee, healers, casters)
The more ranks you have the more taxing it is on the officers to manage those groups and make sure everyone understands what they all mean.

Once officers in a guild understand what they are and are not responsible for, and the non-officers understand what their position is as a raider or member everyone will have an idea of what it is they are doing, and decide if yours is the right guild for them.

If you have any suggestions, edits, desired elaborations, or wish to simply discuss my contact is below.
indu.san@hotmail.com