PDA

View Full Version : Tanks ready to progress to ZA??

TJChap2840
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I am currently co-leading a casual raid group in our guild. We are doing very well in Karazhan (almost one night full clears; one-shotting most every boss). The other leader and I are both tanks and are currently battling for the MT spot. Both of us have discussed the possibility of moving onto ZA.

Now onto the questions:

Who should be the actual MT? According to tank spot, I have more EH then he does, but I know armor and avoidance plays a part in some boss fights.

Being that we are both warriors, he has made it known that both of us can't go into ZA together, and I agree to a point, but I know that I am getting screwed over in the process, because he has declared he is tanking.

I also would like to know what minute upgrades I should get (currently working on getting the belt and legs from Kara or 2.4 badge gear) and I'd like an opinion on my sockets and enchants.

Here are the tank's armorys:

Mine: [With the correct trinket on and without buffs, I have 15964 HP and a few more percentage points in parry and dodge.]

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Galilei)

The other tank: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Nodozuh)

I also forgot to mention that I have close to 41,000 EH and he has close to 39,000 EH.

Silthias
05-17-2008, 12:48 AM
I can't see your armoury for some reason, btut he other ones looks fine to start in there tbh, though I am not keen on seeing Atk power gems and things like that, better that he gems for Stam, imo. As for who should MT, well It is more than possible for both of you to do it from the sounds of things, one run one does it, and the next the other does it. That way you both are keeping it fair. Try to avoid having one MT and OT's, rather have a team of Tanks, who all MT at times. As for the gauntlet, if u have a holy pally int he raid, they can tank the birds meaning you dont need to have a prot pally and can run with 2 Warriors, Its all about adapting.

Regards,

Silthias

Dismember
05-17-2008, 06:59 PM
There's no reason to shy away from bringing two warrior tanks into ZA.

If you can't run the gauntlet without a pally, then you won't get very far into ZA regardless. A pally just trivializes it. Same goes for Dragonhawk.

Run with your best geared, most competent tanks, regardless of class.

Paramount
05-17-2008, 09:29 PM
There's an interesting little fact about the guantlet that I learned from a friend tank of mine:

nevermind doesn't work anymore :\

Kerchunk
05-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, for him to "declare" he's Tanking and not to have suggested that perhaps a rotation is in order (especially considering ZA's 3-day timer) seems a little ludicrous to me. I would "declare" he needs to stow the declarations and think about what makes the most sense for fair and even progression. That said it's also a mistake to assume you can't both go in at once. A Ret. or Holy Paladin is perfectly capable of stepping in where necessary to hold the Birds/Dragonhawks. Neither hit incredibly hard. Lastly, get the Badge Leggings and Belt. They are enormous upgrades for you.

TJChap2840
05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm currently working on farming the badges. I'm just a little burnt out b/c I replaced all my blues (except the ones I have left of course) in a span of about 1.5 - 2 weeks. I don't mind sitting back, but I started the raiding group in our guild and then passed it off to him during the time I had college finals. I just want to be there as the guild progresses and don't want to take a back seat, and I feel that is the direction it is going right now.

When it comes to gems, I've been told to socket avoidance gems, but I see no point. People that I have seen that have avoidance gems don't have much more avoidance than me and I feel that I can gain that avoidance with avoidance gear that I am waiting on looting. Either way, I have a decent amount of EH and I parry and dodge plenty of attacks. I'll get the avoidance as it comes to me :D

Once
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
There are fights that are good to have high avoidance and fights where having anything but sta socketed is just making things harder on yourself.

In general avoidance is great in Bt and Sunwell. Starting out in kara, t4 and t5 strait HP is the way to go. There is a lot more discussion on that on EJ but thats what it boils down to.

Syana
05-22-2008, 05:30 PM
I hear warriors can do pretty good DPS.

Don't quote me on that though. ;)

Nuberino
05-23-2008, 07:35 AM
ZA is fine with 2 warriors, your raid group will be all the more experienced if you can get the strats down with the 2 of you. It isn't optimal in some areas with 2 warriors, but it is by no means impossible it only really comes down to the skill of your tanks and the rest of the raid.

mustangofold
06-06-2008, 06:47 AM
No reason you shouldn't be able to run 2 Prot Warriors.
Rotate who is the MT each time you run it, or each boss. The other warrior wears a set of PVP/DPS gear.

When they are not Maintanking, to let other tanks learn the fights:
Paladin tanks bring Heal gear.
Druid tanks bring DPS and/or Heal Gear.
Warrior tanks bring DPS gear.

Grah
06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi guys, I want to know what all you people think about my gear and what I have to improve on. I have been running Kara every week getting all the way up to Curator. But the most recent run I got dc'ed when curator was at 12% and I wasn't able to loot it and guess what dropped... Wrynn Dynasty Leggings. I have MT and OT Kara many times and would like to know what I need to improve on to be able to progress into ZA.

Here is my armory link The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anetheron&n=Grahadrix)

-please give me feedback. thank you

Kothoga
06-19-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm gonna borrow this thread so we don't have to get a new "can I tank ZA" post

I was wondering what I would be needed to tank ZA? I got asked last night if I could tank ZA but a guildie said that I had too low dodge for it.

what do I need to tank ZA? I can tank Kara very well atm....only have had some problems with Bane last night though when I was in Kara

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Kimmie)

I'm working on to get the Chestplate of Stoicism - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34939) only 3-4 badges left on it.

any help would be appreciated

Leytur
06-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi guys, I want to know what all you people think about my gear and what I have to improve on. I have been running Kara every week getting all the way up to Curator. But the most recent run I got dc'ed when curator was at 12% and I wasn't able to loot it and guess what dropped... Wrynn Dynasty Leggings. I have MT and OT Kara many times and would like to know what I need to improve on to be able to progress into ZA.

Here is my armory link The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anetheron&n=Grahadrix)

-please give me feedback. thank you

What badge purchases have you made? The cloak and ring? How many do you have in the bank? I think the blues are some obvious upgrades. I would go badge chest or legs first and grind the honor for the PVP shoulders. One of the early Karazhan bosses drops hands that are a big upgrade so while you will want the badge hands eventually, I would wait for now. Your trinkets need some big time upgrades. Not sure why you logged in your insignia unless you have no other options. I would focus on those 5 slots--shoulder, chest, hands, legs, trinkets. Shoulders you can get in 1-3 days of BGs. The rest might take some time. :(

Leytur
06-19-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm gonna borrow this thread so we don't have to get a new "can I tank ZA" post

I was wondering what I would be needed to tank ZA? I got asked last night if I could tank ZA but a guildie said that I had too low dodge for it.

what do I need to tank ZA? I can tank Kara very well atm....only have had some problems with Bane last night though when I was in Kara

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Kimmie)

I'm working on to get the Chestplate of Stoicism - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34939) only 3-4 badges left on it.

any help would be appreciated

If you tank all of Karazhan fine then you're ready to start ZA. I'm in the same boat. ZA is definitely more progression based than Karazhan. So just see if you can get in and do 2 bosses or something. On a 3 day reset people should be more willing to go and not worry about waisting a save.

That said, I just looked at your armory. I think you need quite a few more upgrades before being able to MT ZA without making it a challenge. About half of your slots have Karazhan/BOJ upgrades waiting for you. Try and trim that down to 2-3 slots. Not saying you couldn't do it, just that it would be a challenge.

ZA, even as an OT, is tough. On Bear the OT takes just as many hits as the MT. It's possible the OT could just shoot for survival since he's taunting the threat off the MT. But surviving 8-10k in one hit is important.

Kothoga
06-19-2008, 06:06 AM
If you tank all of Karazhan fine then you're ready to start ZA. I'm in the same boat. ZA is definitely more progression based than Karazhan. So just see if you can get in and do 2 bosses or something. On a 3 day reset people should be more willing to go and not worry about waisting a save.

That said, I just looked at your armory. I think you need quite a few more upgrades before being able to MT ZA without making it a challenge. About half of your slots have Karazhan/BOJ upgrades waiting for you. Try and trim that down to 2-3 slots. Not saying you couldn't do it, just that it would be a challenge.

ZA, even as an OT, is tough. On Bear the OT takes just as many hits as the MT. It's possible the OT could just shoot for survival since he's taunting the threat off the MT. But surviving 8-10k in one hit is important.

thx for the gentle respone mate...I have currently played on my healer to get him some more epics but I think its time to let the warry back in the game now as we have now moved to ZA more often although we do Kara when we dont have enough peeps for either a 25man or ZA (not many tanks I think for ZA some times)