PDA

View Full Version : How acurate is MaxDPS.com

Superspy23
05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I've herd it said that the site is unreliable at the same time as the site is promoted as a good general guide. In what areas does it shine and where does it fail?

There are recent upgrades giving the ability to simply select the buffs that are applicable. With the recent changes the weapon values have totally changed in priority (which I had been hearing is one of the weak points) and I'm wondering if it has become further inaccurate or if the reliability has been improved.

If it's off then by how far?

Which portions are most/least reliable?

I really like how user friendly it is and that it ranks things clearly based on the stats on the items. I like how the values and item rankings are re calculated when personal stats change and I love the "extra stat contributions" column. But if it's all junk or simply close it would be good to know.

Edgar
05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I think i remember Ciderhelm saying something about that in a Podcast.

And if i remember correctly it wasn't good.

brain9h
05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
It is reliable. Our fury DPS mentioned it briefly the other day that maxDPS was showing estimates that were matching WWS reports with great accuracy.

Nuberino
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I would imagine as with any tool there will be a little variance and to at least a small degree all advice should be taken cautiously.

However, I imagine that it probably isn't that far off though there may be factors that change things around (e.g. race weapon bonuses) or minor inaccuracies but likely any piece that is clearly a better piece (more than a difference of a few points in dps) is likely pretty accurate at least to the point of judging if a piece is a solid upgrade when looking at your existing stats.

Gorgrim Warcry
05-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I predicts my raid dps fairly accurately.

Spaceknight
05-15-2008, 03:38 PM
It's good for generalization, but other then that it falls short to the spreadsheets by EJ. It's pretty good for ranking gear other then trinkets, but other then that it predicts your dps in a Infinite Rage Environment which you rarely have.

Crimsonstorm
05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
It is farily accurate.

The things where it is not very accurate are procs, like Dragonstrike, DST and other trinkets, and weapon dps. So dont use it for trinkets or weapons, but you can use it for everything else. It also isnt accurate with things like hit soft cap (always assumes youre over it), expertise cap.

Its comparisons of the dps difference between two items might be off by a couple dps from reality, but not more than that. If it says X item is 5 dps better than Y, then its better, maybe by 2, maybe by 8, but its better.

One thing Ive noted it that compared to the spreadsheet on EJ (which is more accurate, but doesnt give you direct item lists ranked form best to worst), it values things a little differently for me when I put in my stats/items.

With full raid buffs and stacked group,
EJ spreadsheet gives me values of (with Str = 1):
Expertise = 1.25
7 ArP = 1.05
Str = 1
2AP = .91
Crit = .80
Haste = .78
Hit = .61
Agi = .60

Maxdps.com gives (extrapolating from its 10Str = X, etc area)

Str = 1
7ArP = .94
2AP = .91
Crit = .86
Agi = .64
Haste = .57
Hit = .51

I think Maxdps.com is Overvaluing Str and Crit, undervaluing Armor Penetration, Haste, (and to a lesser extent Hit), I trust the EJ spreadsheet more becaue it tries to model rage, heroic strikes, procs, etc.

So if Maxdps.com has two items as about even, where one has more str/crit and the other has more ArP/Haste/Hit, go for the ArP/Haste/Hit one. But this will only be a change of a couple dps in reality. Basically, mentally bump up those Armor Penetration and Haste items slightly in the maxdps.com lists.

Voldar
05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I trust the EJ spreadsheet

I could never find this spreadsheet, any possibility of a link?

Ukyo
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Link to the Topic (http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t23083-warrior_fury_dps_spreadsheet_2_4_a/)

Direct Link to the Spreadsheet (http://files.filefront.com/FuryDPS1315aods/;10206794;/fileinfo.html)

Ukyo
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
- ups, double post -

Voldar
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you kindly

Xodiv
05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if the maxdps.com formulas take into account the (recent?) discovery that haste does not scale down rage generation?

Corbusier
05-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know if the maxdps.com formulas take into account the (recent?) discovery that haste does not scale down rage generation?
from what i can tell it doesn't calculate for rage at all and assumes an infinite rage scenario

Oda
05-16-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm also not sure it will model weapon procs (sword/poleaxe spec) appropriately.

It's definitely a good general guide, with some minor flaws.

Superspy23
05-16-2008, 10:58 AM
As far as I can tell MaxDPS doesn't consider any skill usage other than white hit, BT and WW into its DPS calculations (for fury). There is no consideration of using heroic strike, cleave, hamstring etc. If I'm only using that rotation I'll never run out of rage so excluding rage generation from the equations doesn't seem like it will throw off the numbers for that rotation. It seems that rage modeling makes a difference only in calculating how often you can throw out a HS. Rage modeling can be very skewed by the specifics of the encounter. In my opinion learning what the base damage of your standard rotation is key. Knowing what you can do additionally in different situations is up to you knowing your class.

Additionally MaxDPS doesn't do much by way of calculating the offhand optimally at all. That combined with bad proc modeling really shades the value of the information there.

Good replies so far.

Tatt
05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Not sure if it is possible, but I noticed that it does not consider set bonuses, like the ragesteel seet getting 20 hit, or a tier piece bonus. Some set bonuses suck, but some actually make quite a substantial difference in an item's value.

Curious as to how you were disappointed in the way it rates weapons and trinkets? Did not notice a problem, so surious as to what oyu found.

Graul
05-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I predicts my raid dps fairly accurately.

I don't really understand how it can do that when it doesn't seem to factor in CoR, SV Hunter, Ret Paladin, Bloodlust/Death Wish uptime (kill speed). I guess if you didn't run with those buffs it might be pseudo accurate, but it was off by 450 DPS at the low end, 1k at the high for me *as Arms*. Another thing that it, along with the EJ spreadsheet seem to not factor in correctly is rage generation. The EJ spreadsheet does it over an average, while I can't tell if Maxdps even factors it at all. Neither shows lulls and freak bursts (auto crit > WF > sword spec crit) that are going to give you over a full rage bar within a second.

One thing Ive noted it that compared to the spreadsheet on EJ (which is more accurate, but doesnt give you direct item lists ranked form best to worst), it values things a little differently for me when I put in my stats/items.The 2.3 general spreadsheet might not, but the 2.4 Fury specific version does this.

Gorgrim Warcry
05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Well I am arms maybe it isnt as accurate for fury I dont know. It seems to come with in 100dps. Thing we need to remember though the EJ or Max will never be dead on they are guides. I use Maxdps to determine my gear upgrades, and EJ to give me a baseline of the DPS i should be doing.