PDA

View Full Version : First Kara run this weekend...

hitmanwa
05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello all,

This weekend our guild may be attempting it's first Kara run. Currently we have 2 Tanks, linked below. The first is better geared than I am. The rest of the week he will probably focus on getting The Sun Eater or Inuuro's Blade. He is SSO Exalted. So, he has a few upgrades he can get rather quickly I think. Anyhow, I was wondering what you thought of him as the MT. He has high armor but could stand to get his def and stam up which I don't think will be a problem before the weekend. He has 38 avoidance...am I calculating that right?

The other things I see, and I don't always know what I'm talking abt, is he could gem a bit better. He could also get Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve and Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer, correct?

Him-
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Velen&n=Dawgmann)

Anyhow, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mistabones
05-13-2008, 01:23 PM
hey, Ya for sure get def up to 490 so you don't get crited on.

hitmanwa
05-13-2008, 01:57 PM
His 171 Resil + the Def makes him uncrittable, correct? 3.92+4.34 is greater than the 5.6% needed to be uncrittable, or am I completely wrong? Granted, the resil isn't optimal as he doesn't get the avoidance bonus to get to 45% but for the time being he is uncrittable, correct?

dlongest
05-13-2008, 02:17 PM
You're right that he is uncrittable (resil + def). You're wrong about his avoidance though, it's 9.35% + 14.05% + 3.92% = 27.32%. Block is not avoidance. His armor is decent for that point, HP is lower than I'd prefer. However, his dodge is ridiculously low. My concern is he is going to get lit up. He should remove the +strength and +agi gems and put in either +def or +stam (my preference). And he needs to get his defense higher. This is not because of the uncrittable, but because it adds to parry/dodge/block/miss. Some tank trinkets would be a good idea and very beneficial at addressing some of the above points.

You definitely need to replace your greens.

Daniel

Tatt
05-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes he is uncrittable. I think the two of you would be fine for lower level kara, depending on the rest of your raid composition. Curious as to why you have a hunter weapon in your range slot. Go for either a big stam weapon like the khorium destroyer, or something with hit or expertise like the throwing knives from Magister's regular instance. Both of your avoidance seem fine for starting kara. Once oyu get going between drops and badge purchases you should start gearing up very quickly.

hitmanwa
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys.

On the avoidance I wasn't including block but I thought you added a base miss% of 5 so that's where my error was. We are tying to help him get the +dodge +stam and the +def +stam gems. I think that will help a lot. And yes replacing his greens is a top priority.

Thanks so much guys, I'll probably repost here when we get the upgrades and get some feedback if that's ok.

Really appreciate it,
Hit

dlongest
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Definitely have a good time in there. I only do 10 mans (Kara, ZA) because the size of my playgroup is small. They're a blast to do though, much different tone from 5-mans. Look at wipes as a learning experience if and when they happen and focus on solutions, not blame.

Definitely keep us updated as things go.

Daniel

Kagere
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
There are a couple of easy quests he should do to get some good rings and trinkets etc. If he hasn't already done them.

The first is to get Wind Trader's Band. The quest is solo-able and dont be mislead by the color of this ring. Its an excellent tanking ring i wore well into kara and still have in my bag.

If he doesn't get either of the two swords I would encourage him to do the cipher of damnation quests for Grom'tor's Charge

Also do the quest chain How to break into the arcatraz for the belt reward Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard

I guess if he does these, he will feel like he is going backwards in terms of HP, but his avoidance and EH will go up leaps and bounds. Basically the idea is to replace that resilience with defense for the avoidance boost. He has to think more like a tank and less like a dps'r or pvp'r I guess.

Once he gets the defence up a little, he can stop gemming, and switch out his +str, +def gems for solid stars if he can afford them, or the +9 sta variety, and this should bring him back up to where he was previously with HP, but with way more avoidance.

Other good pieces to consider can be found at Polar's guide:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/31940-polar-s-easy-pre-karazhan-tank-gear-list.html

Hope this helps a bit.

dlongest
05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Grom'tor's Charge is definitely a solid weapon, I used it until I got Sun Eater. However, the Cipher of Damnation quest line took me about 6 hours to complete (and I had a hunter with me the entire time). Fortunately it's guaranteed (unlike Sun Eater, which requried 44 runs of Heroic Mech).

Daniel

hitmanwa
05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes, it helps a ton. I really appreciate all the info.

practice
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
So, I also had my first night in kara..... as a tank.. kinda.. LOL

My main is a 70 hunter, my guild is into hyjal and trying bt a little. I got bored and lvled a warrior, he hit 70 just other night, no tank gear, went all fury gear. got sent 50g to respec to prot and used the remainder to buy some greens and felsteel set. our guild sent me bout 8 gems of 4def-6stam. im at around 450 def and I ot'ed up to curator before it got late.

it was a alt run basically, everyone but the mt undergeared. he let me MT everything until he saw me strugglin or the healers workin overtime then he would take over on hard hitting mobs.

felt good to do so well, one death to be being stupid on tankin one mob. lol. cant wait until I can get some gear to drop tho!