PDA

View Full Version : I've tanked Prince, people still doubt me?

Scyli
05-13-2008, 01:05 AM
I've successfully tanked all of KZ (save for Nightbane) yet some pugs turn me down (Heroic MGT).

Look over me and give me a few pointers?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Scyli)

Thanks.

Squeegiemama
05-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks

Clifford
05-13-2008, 01:56 AM
It is true that your gear level and unbuffed health is fairly low. Pugging is a desperate business and heroic MgT brings out the worst of them :)

Bonerot
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Pugs suck but your gear isn't great either. 15k/15k for the back half of Kara is more ideal. You stack too much def for my taste and it's certainly not going to help vs casters.

MgT is a fairly difficult instance though so they may be turning you down just on your lack of experience tanking.

Tatt
05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
People who pug are usually looking for easy runs...when I tank a pug everyone gets excited when they see 16 or 17k hp, doesn't mean I can tank worth a crap, but too many people see numbers and think that is all that matters. Just keep a list of people who liked how you tanked other heroics for them, and go to them first when you want to do MgT.

Rabidwombat
05-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Gear-wise:
Your gear looks good for early kara, but you would need a strong group behind you to get through late kara. I am guessing your healers/dps were compensating when you tanked prince. Ask them what it was like versus other tanks. You've been through kara, so you must have some badges lying around. Grab some new bracers and enchant them with stamina, or a new cloak and give it an armor enchant. Look into the badge or SSO neck pieces.

Game-wise:
Echoing Tattman here...keep a list of people that like to heal/dps for you. Prove your mettle in an easier heroic and go from there. People are using your gear as a general indication of your experience/aptitude, show them what's up!

Letheria
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
As you gear through Kara, you can start trading out +defense for +stam and +hit. At the Kara stage, anything above 491 really isn't helping you in there, and you're sacrificing a bit of variability for that hit number. Just wait for the drops in Kara and you should be fine.

Kazeyonoma
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Most kara gear will come heavy in avoidance, you can gem for stam to make up for the lack of HP from there. But 490 defense isn't a cap, any additional defense you get just helps you get more avoidance/shield block rating. But if you already have 490 defense, and you have GEMS (not gear!) that are socketed for defense, you should probably regem them for stam.

madocks
05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Your hit is low, so is your expertise - which then means your TPS will be low too

Your trinkets aren't very good and solely provide hp, without these trinkets i guess you will be around 13k hp.

I cant see any major problem with u tanking M-MGT however, if I am tanking I would refuse to go with a dps class who wears have blues. The problem you face is that there are many tanks out the (many wont pug M-MGT) and the group organizer is picking who will best suit his team.

Kerchunk
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Your health is great for Karazhan. Your Armor is horrid.

Your big weak points: Shield, Ring, Trinkets.

Destroy the SSO dailies and run Normal MrT until you get the Dawnforged Defender.

Start running Heroic MrT for the Commendation of Kael'thas and Shard of Contempt (which you will need later once you have enough avoidance to sacrifice a trinket slot for threat).

Buy the 2.4 badge ring if you aren't getting lucky on Shade of Aran.

Keep running Karazhan (Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch, Barbed Choker of Discipline, etc.).

Harkor
05-14-2008, 02:20 AM
For my experience Heroic Magister's is more gear intensive than kara. Not to mention it is not a particularly warrior tank friendly instance in quite a few different areas. I tank BT/Hyjal and I don't go in there w/out people I trust. Hell I don't even go in there period now that I have my commendation.

Just because you CAN tank an instance doesn't mean that you're going to be a groups first choice.