PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Game Latency on DPS

Beaucat
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a dual wield fury warrior that is very well geared, everything is enchanted and gemmed properly, etc. but I am not achieving the dps that I should. I do have poor game latency - so I was just wondering how much of an effect that could have on my dps. (i.e. does it delay each swing, etc)

Thanks for any input.

Corbusier
05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
It makes a difference. How much latency are we talking?

Beaucat
05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Since I play on a satellite connection, the best I can achieve is 700 ms. It varies up to 800 or 900. Not good, I know.

Arrivan
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
As a bit of background, I play with an average latency of between 300ms and 400ms, so I think I'm qualified to answer this thread.

The first thing you will have noticed is that your Bloodthirst and Whirlwind cooldowns will always clash at some point in your cycle. I've done some playing around on paper and in game with a rotation with 0/2, 1/2 and 2/2 Imp. WW and with 500ms latency (I chose that for the sake of ease) you will always see a clash in cooldowns. This means you have to prioritise BT over WW when this happens and use WW on the next global cooldown. You will lose DPS because of this.

Apart from that though, Fury warriors are lucky in that we only have a handful of buttons to press while DPSing, and our two mainstay instant attacks have cooldowns. You won't be hurt as badly as you would be playing a rogue though. A rogue with 500ms latency would lose an about 1 Sinister Strike per three seconds compared to a rogue with negligible latency, which adds up fast. Your shouts and Rampage will be a bit delayed, but compared to some other classes we hold up fairly well with higher latencies. As for your white attacks, they will be unaffected because once you start attacking the server does all the calculations on its end and reports them back to the client. You may see a delay in white attacks, but that's just on your end; the server will not "lose" any of your white attacks. The net effect of having a higher latency is that you will not be able to use skills as soon as the GCD is finished server-side, there will be a delay which is the time it takes for the client to receive notification that it has finished.

I haven't got hard numbers on the effect of high latency on DPS because I don't know any other Fury warriors with equivalent gear to me and I honestly don't know what level of progression I should look at to find such warriors to compare myself to.

Corbusier
05-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Wow, 700-900 is quite a lot. You'll suffer noticeably compared to someone with low latency, but less than you would as arms or like Arrivan said, a rogue that has a much tighter rotation. Luckily fury is much more forgiving.

Beaucat
05-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I appreciate the responses guys. It sounds like I need to pay more attention to my rotation and cooldowns. I will try to work on that more.

Thanks again.

GarrettJaxx
05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi - I had about 300-350 consistently and had the same issue. I hotfixed a bit and saw a noticeable improvement in my rotation management, despite still having about 150-200 ms (sometimes 250 in raids on busy nights when the server is taxed heavily).

I'd suggest you do the following, if you haven't already:
1) Look up this fix: (note my post with the video in it) (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/user-interface-addons-macros/36692-latency-reduction-regedit-video.html)
2) For Vista users find the hotfix in the same thread of mine.
3) Also set the timing method for your game to either 1 or 2 (see which works best for reducing latency. If neither do, you can reset it to the default value of '0'). You set this by typing in-game, in chat:

/console set timingmethod 1
Then logout and back in. Then wait and see the impact. (replace '2' for 1, and '0' for 1, respectively).

Honestly these adjustments kicked ass for me. You may also want to consider, if you use a router, enabling 'Port Triggering' to 3724 (which is what WoW uses for gameplay), and Port Forwarding to the same.

These fixes all work to reduce the delays that Windows generates in network data sending. The registry fix (the first one listed above) may seem scary to folks. Trust me it's not, if you follow the directions, it's harmless. You can always delete the Registry component (DWORD) that you create. Just don't forget it's location!

Good luck man!

Beaucat
05-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks all for the advice.

I was able to set the console timing method to 1 and reduce my latency by 140 ms. Every bit helps.

Alchamire
05-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I have the same issue. I am currently deployed in Iraq and have satellite internet as well. At best I have 900-950 ms on a GOOD day. Most of the time I am playing with about 1-2k ms though. One thing that I find helps is hitting the esc key every time one of your attacks gets lagged or "frozen" on your action bars. This will allow you to que up your next attack, even if you get a full screen freeze. One time I had no feed back from the server for about 10-15 seconds, so I just kept doing my DPS cycle. When I finally stopped lagging for the moment I just sayw a huge flash of numbers across my screen and all my qued attacks had landed. So if your connection is reliable and you know you won't DC, just keep doing your rotations during lag spikes. When the spike is over you won't have lost that much DPS. Believe me, my laggy ass has pulled 1,600 dps on Gorefiend :).

chops
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah as someone with perennial high latency of >800ms or so (I play on US servers from Asia), Fury is def more forgiving than Slam spec'd arms or other classes would be.

I find myself button spamming my BT/WW to minimise lossof efficiency in the rotation & do my best to keep BS & Rampage, & Zerker rage up as much as poss when BT/WW are on CD's & a HS would leave me rage starved for my next BT/WW.

Cheers!

Korlong
08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't know how you people can do it. I'm away from home at the moment, and have 500ms ping where I'm staying, so I've just told my guild that I won't raid and be a third wheel for 2 weeks because of it.

Beaucat
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I think you learn to somehow compensate for the delays you experience with poor latency. I have recently been assigned to a new satellite, Spaceway 3, and my latency now spikes between 900-1500. It's up and down like a yo-yo. Since I am frequently the only warrior on our raids, I feel I contribute enough with my shouts and what little damage I can do. Obviously I don't attempt anything beyond Karazhan and I wouldn't want to put my guild in the position of wiping because of me. I keep working on keeping my character geared up in hopes that I will get a better connection some day.

Chosenx
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I sit at probably around 400ms playing in australia, and don't seem to have many lag problems but every now and then my rotations will clash with each other.

What is a normal latency, and is 400ms high enough to cause lower dps than what i can be puttin out?

Arrivan
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I sit at probably around 400ms playing in australia, and don't seem to have many lag problems but every now and then my rotations will clash with each other.

What is a normal latency, and is 400ms high enough to cause lower dps than what i can be puttin out?

As I said earlier in this thread, you will do slightly less dps but Fury is fairly forgiving on latency so your dps will still be very close to that of someone with lower latency. Arms on the other hand, that kind of latency can cost you a LOT of damage, so much so that I personally wouldn't spec it for raiding (just my opinion though, I'm sure you'd still be taken for BF currently).