PDA

View Full Version : Help with dps without respeccing

Tatt
05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
To start off I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but wasn't sure if this was a "I tank and need help when I dps" question, or "I want to increase my dps but still be able to tank" question.

I am an OT in a 3/5 SSC progressed guild (thanks Nub!). I am very interested in dps'ing as a fury warrior, but obviously at our stage of gear and progression fury warriors are not super valuable. There have been some times when I have been asked to throw on my dps gear when we are heavy a tank or two, which I love to do and think I put out pretty decent dps. What I am looking for is if anyone has any ideas on a hybrid dps/prot build that will still allow me to OT T5 and ZA content, but will help increase my dps when the situation calls for it. I have been toying with the idea of 17/10/34 or 9/11/41, but not sure how vital devastate is if I am only tanking trash and not bosses.

Any advice or criticism would be welcome and listened to :)

Corbusier
05-10-2008, 12:56 PM
You could try something like 0/44/17:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVx0VxxRVuqo0Edoh)

You lose Impale, Imp. TC, Deflection, and Imp HS but gain prot talents up to Last Stand and defiance. The DPS loss isn't that great compared to a 17/44 spec, and the loss of the early ams talents as an OT aren't too bad. Your biggest challenge as an OT will be generating threat without being beaten on so you have less rage to work with. Defiance helps cover the gap.

I have a feeling I'll be flamed for this build, but I've used it in the past with good results.

Alternatively, you could spec full fury (17/44) and just accept the fact that you'll be handicapped where threat is concerned.

Tatt
05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey, I have been bouncing ideas off of Corb and Kryax and tried out 17/3/41. Full tanking tree with deep wounds and impale for extra dps and improved SS burst damage. Anyone have any pro's or cons on this build, or experience with it?

Nicki
05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
wow closed mindedness thinking fury warriors arent valueble..

Battleshout is enough to get a raid spot from any decent raid leader as dps. And mid hyjal/BT you can dps as good as rogues..I think this shifts later but aslong as you gear up to decent stats youd be fine..) Though I realise the problem would be losing a tank.

Tatt
05-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I wish more raids found fury warriors valuable! I have begged and begged for months to find a permanent spot as fury. Maybe I phrased it badly, fury warriors are not as valuable as good tanks, and only because of how many mroe dps classes there are compared to tanking classes. Ask to switch from tanking to dps'ing and I usually get told we are short of tanks, with three hunters, 4 rogues, and a mage or lock on a waiting list to pew pew :(

Anglachel
05-10-2008, 06:31 PM
you could spec 33/28 and tell your raid leader about Blood Frenzy.... there may be other DPS classes, but you will be the only one who can increase all physical dmg against the boss by 4%

Galushi
05-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey, I have been bouncing ideas off of Corb and Kryax and tried out 17/3/41. Full tanking tree with deep wounds and impale for extra dps and improved SS burst damage. Anyone have any pro's or cons on this build, or experience with it?

I'm going to try this the next time i spec back from 33/28. I was considering it. I don't know how the deep wounds factors in for DW dps, but impale was a very slight dps gain over losing 2% crit.

Also the way i have my talents now (11/5/45) i have to lose SBV talent and another random point in prot, and give up 2% crit, to get the deep wounds and impale. For an OT that seems semi viable but i likes my SBV...

Arrivan
05-10-2008, 10:47 PM
You could try something like 0/44/17:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LZVx0VxxRVuqo0Edoh)

You lose Impale, Imp. TC, Deflection, and Imp HS but gain prot talents up to Last Stand and defiance. The DPS loss isn't that great compared to a 17/44 spec, and the loss of the early ams talents as an OT aren't too bad. Your biggest challenge as an OT will be generating threat without being beaten on so you have less rage to work with. Defiance helps cover the gap.

I have a feeling I'll be flamed for this build, but I've used it in the past with good results.

Alternatively, you could spec full fury (17/44) and just accept the fact that you'll be handicapped where threat is concerned.

I've always been partial to Fury/Prot hybrid specs. I used one for a while after hitting 70 and again for my guild's first ZA run (although I haven't used it since then). It might be cool on the WoW forums to bash them because they rightly say you won't be the best at either, but you will be much more comfortable OTing and be somewhat useful when you don't need to tank. However, if or when your guild can spare a tank you should go for a full 17/44 build.

Half of the points taken in Arms most standard 17/44 builds don't help your DPS at all (Deflection, Imp. TC in my usual build, and you could make a case for Deep Wounds having a minimal benefit), so you only really lose Imp. Heroic Strike, Anger Management and Impale. If you're OTing a lot, losing those for valuable points low in the Prot tree won't hurt you much.

Kavtor
05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Even a standard prot build can do some pretty ridiculous damage. I really don't see much value in not either going full DPS, or a standard tank spec. Devastate DPS with decent gear is really ridiculous.

Obviously, you should have a blood frenzy warrior with imp. battleshout, but after that, I can't see too many advantages of a hybrid build over a standard protection build.