PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with trash - Wave 5 Kaz'rogal

loquatious
05-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Had significant trouble last nigt with wave 5 of the Kaz'rogal trash.

4 Ghouls, 4 Shadowy Necromancers, 6 Abominations

Seems like more than 6 abominations :)

I think the tanks are out in front and get pwned by the Necromancers. We have decent gear and none of us cant tank 2 abombs.

But we keep losing tanks early in the fight from combined spell/abomb damage

Horacio
05-09-2008, 07:14 AM
This is the make/break of the trash, this wave. I actually got to tank last night (as opposed to healing). The first thing is to have dealt with the pervious waves efficiently and have the healers alert when the wave hits. What we do is try to spread the damage among the tanks. Both Necros can be sheeped. The pally tanks pick up what they can (we usually have 2 of them) and the other tanks peel off an Abom each and bonus points for snagging an odd ghoul or fiend.

But yeah...its a bitch and that's stopped many of our attempts cold.

loquatious
05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
So you have the tanks move up past the NPC's? I was thinking we hide behind them and let *them* eat a few shadowbolts :)

klor
05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
So you have the tanks move up past the NPC's? I was thinking we hide behind them and let *them* eat a few shadowbolts :)

You dont hide behind the NPCs until wave 6 of azgalor trash :-x

6 necros and 6 banshees...uuuuggghhh. All of our tanks got insta-gibbed so many times!

We let our melee deal with the necros. One hunter pulls an abom to the tauren hunters, the other pulls one to thrall, then the tanks pick up aboms that are left and the ghouls, while the melee charge in at th enecros. Its all about timing and getting the strat down.

sevve
05-09-2008, 09:31 AM
As for Abominations: mark a few up fast and have your hunters kite one each. Make sure your pally doesn't tank more than two in addition to the rest of the crap.

As for Necromancer/Banshee initial agro: 1 Grounding Totem tends to soak an entire round of bolts. Have your shammie(s) stomp them early so they can't be restomped fast. All warriors should be saving rage from previous wave to spell reflect aswell.

Derrick
05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
what i do is mark a couple necros for melee. mark aboms for tanking/kiting and let pally or druid tanks grab the unmarked aboms and mages the unmarked necros. i run up, shield reflect the moment i see them begin casting, stun my abom, tclap, running back a bit so i dont get destroyed by the 2nd shadowbolt volley, then pick up my target and take stock of all aboms to make sure they are secure. when done correctly i can get all 6 reflects on the first volley, which feels pretty sweet.

bludwork
05-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Rage potions + spell reflect.

The mobs will aggro on the person closest to them. You pop a rage potion, wait until you see the necros start casting, pop spell reflect and start heading towards thrall. You'll reflect a few bolts just in time for some cc to be applied, and by running away you prevent the double nuke since you'll be out of range and they will have to stop, follow you and recast.

Last week we took 3 shadow priests, a ret paly and MS warrior so it was much more difficult than normal. Always kill the necros first then call in the aoe bombs after tanks get aggro on the other mobs. A T5 geared prot paladin should be able to tank up to 4 aboms with 3 healers.

Clifford
05-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Yeah ... spell reflect > necromancers. Just make sure that your healers who that you are going to do it :)

Fayre
05-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Spell reflect is pretty godly. Have a warrior up front to eat the necromancers' bolts (buff him with shadow prot, might as well!), and then move back so tanks can split up the abominations and whatnot. If your hunters are up to it, it can be really useful to kite an abomination on these very heavy waves.

Another tip is to use Free Action Potions when tanking Abominations, as it will prevent the stun that often results in very heavy damage to tanks with initial aggro.

Joeker
05-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Here is how we do it in my guild. We have the two pally tanks and two warrior tanks get on their mounts along with any class that can AOE silence. The two pallies run in one bubbles just in front of the necros the second pally drops concecrate and at the same time the other pally drops his bubble and adds concecrate then me and the other warrior move in and pick up two abominations apiece while the Blood elves come in and use an AOE silence rotation so that we can keep them grouped up for AOE. We used this technique after numerous wipes on that specific wave by having the tanks insta gibbed when they were focus fired by the necros. Hope this helps.

loquatious
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the tips - i'm sure it will help a lot. Be back later when we have the tougher trash before Azgalor :-)

Exaarkun
05-23-2008, 05:59 AM
You guys are getting too complicated. Simple solution is have the pally tank group with 2 shamans in it. The pally, and the two shamans are a good 10meters ahead of anyone else. As soon as the wave starts both shamans drop Grounding totem. By the time the actual wave hits their CD on GT will be over. The first volley kills one totem, the second volley kills the second, as soon as the second volley is released both shamans drop another totem. This gives your CC enough time to pick up their mobs. And because the pally tank and the shamans are the closes to the necros, this ensures the totems eat the volleys.

Sarjin
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Can't really speak from experience of a tank (Tankspot being a place to browse for alt projects mostly - I normally play a Holy Priest), but since I have seen Kaz'rogal wave 5 often enough, some added thoughts:

*As mentioned, a totem forest to soak initial volleys from Necromancers/Banshees works pretty well. It's not quite as important here as on Azgalor wave 6, but might still help if they cause problems here. Necromancers should obviously be sheeped as soon as possible, Warlocks being able to help out with fears, and melee DPS (most notably rogues) being highly effective at shutting down Necromancers.

*Ghouls are normally not much of a concern, especially when you run with a Protection Paladin.

*The Abominations are obviously the most painful part of this pull, as they hurt and a tank with too many Abominations on him tends to die. Make sure tanks can mark quickly and are clear on which mob to pick up. Additionally, something which I didn't see yet in this thread but can help out in stabilizing the situation right after the pull: Abominations can be shackled. This should help out a lot in lowering initial burst damage. Just tell your Priests to shackle a couple of times in a row, even if the shackles are broken. After a couple of times it's pretty clear if the tank intends to tank the target or accidentally broke with Thunderclap/Consecrate/whatever; in the meantime it will lower incoming damage. Also of great help in controlling the Banshees on Azgalor wave 6.

*One thing which can work pretty well on Azgalor wave 6 and maybe Kaz'rogal wave 5 as well: Snake trap. Once they trigger, mobs may go after snakes individually, buying your tanks more time to pick stuff up. That said, it can be a double edged sword, since snakes applying Deadly Poison can screw up Polymorph/Shackle.

Overall with these things, and a raid aware that this is a key wave, things tend to go pretty smooth, aside from the occasional accident.

ttocs
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
We have 2-3 hunters in each raid, and they routinely kite the abominations around (they mark which ones they're kiting). I know they kite one to the group with thrall, and they kite one to the tauren warriors all the way in the back. They then kite back to the tanks, and call out when they need the abom taunted off. By the time they kite there and back, you usually have a couple mobs dead.

Necromancers are spell reflected off the bat (use rage potions at first, eventually you can eat 1-2 bolts and just start reflecting - have the healers be aware of it). They're then sheeped and stunlocked by the rogues/melee DPS, and then the tanks focus on the remaining ghouls and aboms.