PDA

View Full Version : al'ar

Dreg
05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
my guild killed al'ar for the first time last week, it is probably one of the most fun fights i have ever tanked (im not just standing there).

anyway, a few of our tanks had issues getting hit by quills even after they jumped off the platform, i my self got hit by a couple after i hit the ground and started moving back twards the ramp, any suggestions or is this just another blizz lag issue

phaze
05-08-2008, 09:16 AM
anyway, a few of our tanks had issues getting hit by quills

Get down faster. There's a good 4s window for you to realize that it's Quills instead of a regular transition. Also, you should already be standing on the lip of the ledge, for healing LoS. That makes it trivial to take a single step in order to drop down.

Be observant, and know visually what differentiates 'incoming Quills' from 'moving to next platform'. The only transition this is remotely hard to see, is the 'East Platform --> West Platform' switch; just watch for Al'ar to rise up, instead of flying level, and that's your cue to drop down.

Latency-wise, there's nothing special about the Al'ar encounter, compared to any other awareness fight. If you can react fine for other fights, then the same is true here.

Dreg
05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
its not that its hard to get off the lip, i do as soon as he starts to fly up instead of across, but it seems randomly ill get hit by a quill or 2 for some reason, after already being on the ground

Psysica
05-09-2008, 02:54 AM
As phaze says. Just be aware and jump down as fast as possible.

I have never had any issue with random quills. If you keep have some one not doing it fast enough. Have a person shout it out on TS, to wake the tanks up... :)

bosephus
05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
If they have both feet on the floor and are still getting hit by quills, it may be that they are too close to a wall. I'm pretty sure you can still be quilled if you're too close to a wall, and a quick check of the Al'ar entry on wowwiki.com confirms.

Flame Quills

Occasionally when leaving a platform, Al'ar will fly to the center of the room and begin spinning, which signals the upcoming Flame Quills. Every person in the raid needs to be aware and fall down from the upper platform, especially the tanks, since anyone left there will take 6-8k fire damage per second. People standing on the outside of the room on the floor (south near the entry door) are also susceptible.

Lavache
05-09-2008, 02:41 PM
If they have both feet on the floor and are still getting hit by quills, it may be that they are too close to a wall. I'm pretty sure you can still be quilled if you're too close to a wall, and a quick check of the Al'ar entry on wowwiki.com confirms.

yup. our add tank got eaten a couple times because of that. make sure everyone is away from the walls a good 10 feet or more. you can eat one as a tank, but its not generally a good idea.

Hypatia
05-10-2008, 04:27 AM
A specific problem area for quills is the area "between" the ledges. Specifically, the ledges are sort of like this:

________ ________
\ /
X \________/ X

SafeSpecifically: The areas to the "left" and "right" of the ledges are in the quill area—tanks are best served by running straight off the edge, then turning and running towards the ramp back up. If you try to cut corners by immediately running towards the ramp and jumping down off the side of the ledge, you will get hit by a quill.

Clifford
05-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I always watch for quills and call it out. A'lar flies up rather than down if he his going to quill. Then run in an arc ... i.e away from the way and back to the stairs to be safe.

Other than that, just do as people above said and keep away from the wall.

Sangi
05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Don't jump off the ledge, walk off the ledge. You will be in the air longer and I found I was getting hit by quills when I jumped. Then as every one has said, stay away from the walls.

Canadianpimp
05-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Don't jump off the ledge, walk off the ledge. You will be in the air longer and I found I was getting hit by quills when I jumped. Then as every one has said, stay away from the walls.

Exactly. I was having the same probably with the random quill until I started walking off.

loquatious
05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
We out gear Al'ar but I love it for the training effect;Stay out of the fire, start dps/stop dps on command/ work in teams/ high mobility / mentally engaging for every class. Just love it :)

In a decent attempt how many folks would you expect to lose during the fight?
We lost 9 - i think we need more practice

Devarin
05-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd say a decent attempt would be one that we lost less than 5. I agree that the encounter is a good training fight (though the flame patches aren't really all that tough compared to things like Zul'jin Phase 5). It's especially useful for training tanks in teamwork and communication in both phases. BTW, we made phase 1 much easier by putting totems and/or a stationary pet near the bottom of the ramp so warrior tanks can intervene them easily, then intercept A'lar... you can finish the flame quill process with no flame buffets.

Dev