View Full Version : Guild Growing Pains
Hey guys i would like some guild advice if you can spare it.
My guild is currently like 20ish active members. ATM we are a very casual guild. We are currently not setup as a hardcore guild.
We have Kara on farm and will be starting ZA in the next week or two, however we only raid 2 days a week currently.
About half of the members want to grow and move on to 25 man raids, and the other half want to stay a very private guild and not move past 10 mans.
The guild is split right down the middle with the guild leader being on the side of only 10 man content.
As an officer in this guild how do i solve this problem? I am mostly neutral, however after we either get stuck at ZA or finish it (not likely with Kara Gear) I can see myself losing interest in the same content over and over.
Since the current guild leader is against going into 25 mans, most of your choices will involve leaving the guild. By staying very private do you mean staying very small (20 people?) or would it be possible to add another 10-15 to the guild?
1) Determine if the half of the guild that really wants to do 25 mans is willing to split off and recruit enough others to do 25 mans.
2) Find a guild more suited to what you are trying to do and just leave your existing guild.
3) Find a guild thats close to being able to 25 man and simply add your 10 or so to it.
4) Suffer in silence in your existing guild.
5) At least for Gruul/Mag take the 10 or so that want to do 25 mans and pug the rest of the raid.
6) Recruit people that want to do 25 mans and simply do them w/out the guild leader and those that don't want to do them - dependent on members reaction to guild size, and your membership policies (if it's anyone can vote no for any reason, then those that are into a small guild would probably start voting no constantly after they figured out what was going on.)
Personally, I would probably do 1 or 2 (if you are all really tight then 1 could really cause things to explode if the guild cuts in half.) Those that were into the small raid thing may hold you responsible for the "breakup" of the guild. The outcome of 10 people leaving is probably mostly dependent on the classes, if you took all of the tanks and healers for instance.
thanks for the response. To answer your question the guild leader wants to invite no one outside known RL friends to one of the core members. 10-15 more people would be a stretch ...
05-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I can't see this guild, as you describe it, transitioning very well to 25-man content. You can't force people who want to play very casually, to be hardcore raiders. Support their choices, and ask them to support yours, whatever that may be. That's what friends do for each other, no?
All you can do is hope, when the time comes for people to move on, that your guildmates will place a higher value on friendship than on a guild tag, and let them go gracefully.
05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
My guild were in a similar situation, in that they had Kara cleared and only raid twice aweek and not atall hardcore, and we now currently are into SSC/TK in only a few months, however the main reason for this was we recruited people who shared our play style, adnt ehre seem to be alot out there that want to raid but not 4/5 days aweek. If your guild leader doesn't like the idea of 25 mans raids then you will ahve problems with recruitment. What I can offer though, is if you want i can have a word with them and explain how we did it without loosing our closenit feeling, and it may help.