PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Illidan Undergeared

Invisniper
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Our MT for our Illidan kills has to work this thursday so I'm getting bumped up into MT position for our second Illidan kill. This will be my first time MT'ing the fight, but our second time downing him. I know the basics; Shield Block right before Shear, move him out of Flame Crash, don't let anyone in front of him, etc... Are there any little tips or tricks that would make this job a little easier?

Normal MT's Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Dirkalba)

My Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Invisniper)

I logged in the gear I want to tank him in, but I just have a few questions. Since it is a melee damage only fight (For the MT), would it be more wise to use an Elixir of Major Defense (+550 Armor) and an Elixir of Mastery (+15 all stats) over a Flask of Fort?

Worldie
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I progression tanked him months ago for us, and i was VERY undergeared.
Quite worse than you, i had no t6 and only trashs shield and supremus shoulders as tanking loots from BT.

First suggestion i can give: avoidance trinket. 2x stam is never the right answer anyway. Popping a avoidance trinket at phase transition might be a quite good idea to give healers the time to start healing you. Expecially 2 min CD ones.
Second suggestion is, Armor. Priorize it. If you have items which give more armor than your ones, even if with some less avoidance, use them. You want to survive Enrages, and he hits HARD. Threat is also irrelevant, so go for more avoidance instead of more aggro if you can.

There's nothing much more to know about it, it's relatively simple to tank, just make sure you get no lolshears (it's extremely easy as warrior as long as you don't have 1500 ms latency) and have your hands on LS and SW for Enrages if traps are in a crap position (like, 99% of the times)

As for consumables... in theory best choice is Major Defense + Major Agility. Unless you plan to "wipe a lot", then go for the Flask.

Invisniper
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Pocket Watch good enough?

Worldie
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
That was what i used.

Actually, i went for watch+scarab of displacement for the first time, then switched to watch+stam trinket later.

Jericho
05-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Gearing for avoidance also can work wonders... By the looks of it you pretty much have the Armor thing covered with your 2.4 Badge gear...

Like Worldie said, an avoidance trinket is great. I know, I for one usually miss 1 shear a kill. Popping Moroes and good healing is what keeps you alive. As well as popping it between P2 and P3 will help you stay alive and keep going. Your gear is not bad. I did not have much better gear than you when first starting the encounter. I would however suggest a few tweaks to grab a little more avoidance. Boots of Elusion in my mind are still a whole heck of a lot better than red havoc. All in all you are geared just fine. The encounter is not all that difficult for the MT. Its a whole lot more intensive for the FR tanks.

Blindlabel
05-09-2008, 02:21 AM
You gear is fine for Illidan. Somethings that would help are Ironshield Potions and Nightmare Seeds, especially for Phase 3 and beyond. I recommend using Nightmare Vines on the Enrage if the trap is in a retarded location. Most importantly, don't get gibbed after Maiev releases you from the bubble, be ready to use cooldowns if your healers are slacking.

Also if you're trying to keep the Flame Crashes in a very tight area, you can move slightly <--- to have him drop the Flame Crash further away from where your Warlock will be tanking. He drops the Flame Crash where you're standing at the end of the cast. Just be careful to not take any fire damage.

PS: /wave

-Blindlabel