PDA

View Full Version : How do I "subscribe" to the Podcasts?

Armstrong
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I have an iPod Nano and run iTunes for Windows. Quite familiar with how to use those for music. Never dabbled in podcasts before though, and could use some pointers.

I thought that the idea behind podcasts was that you could somehow "subscribe" and have new "episodes" automatically downloaded when they became available. iTunes has an option to subscribe to a podcast, which requires you to enter a URL for the podcast. I've played around with that for a while trying to "subscribe" to the TS podcasts but can't figure it out.

Is there something I need to do on the download site? Does the site need to support subscriptions in the first place and perhaps doesn't? I have been able to manually download the individual files no problem, I'm just looking for the more "elegant" process.

Awesome job on the discussions so far by the way, and thanks in advance for the help with this. :)

Ciderhelm
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Lilie I believe is the one who first posted this was working. I don't use iTunes so I unfortunately don't know the process for subscribing, I just know it's enabled.

Lilie
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Yo. Yep, it's super simple. All you gotta do is go to the itunes music store and search under podcasts for "Tankspot." It should pop up for you and there should be a little "subscribe" link next to the name. Once you subscribe to it it should show up in your Itunes interface under podcasts. There you can refresh your subscription whenever new podcasts are posted.

Armstrong
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks, that worked like a charm! :)

In other news, the podcasts titled "Main Tanking" and "Measuring your Effectiveness" appear to be broken. The download is very small and only contains the first 15 seconds of the audio file. That was the case yesterday when I was still manually downloading files one by one, and is still the case today when downloading directly via iTunes.

Is anyone running into the same problem?

microbe
05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I am currently using a program called juice so that I can subscribe to podcasts using windows media player. It request a URL to fuction. Can you help me out?

PhoenixAshen
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Are the podcasts now defunct? I typically use Zune, but in a quest for the podcasts I loaded up iTunes only to discover that "tankspot" brings up nothing in the iTunes store :(

Ciderhelm
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The last ~2 podcasts have not been published to Itunes. They will be soon, as well as 2 more this week.

Nardonius
06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
For those of you using software other than iTunes (for example the person above asking about Juice) which require you to input a URL for the podcast feed, the following URL will work:

Ciderhelm (http://ciderhelm.libsyn.com/rss/)

I just tested this in Juice myself so it definitely works for that program, others I can't garauntee, but Hope this helps.

Hegas
06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Not sure what happened but I was in the process of downloading the podcasts and there were a bunch of them, then all of a sudden, when I finally had the option to subscribe, there was only one....any ideas?

Edit: Nm, figured it out :)

Edit 2: Ok, maybe I didn't. :/

I get an error that says "There was a problem downloading "Insert podcast here" You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. Please check that the URL is correct and the connection to the network is active and try again.

As far as I know this works. I was able to download on my laptop with no problems, just not on my PC. Any ideas?

Lightslayer
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi just checked today 8/27/2008 and there is no Tankspot podcast to download anywhere on iTunes. I hope it will be there soon as I'm sure others do too.

edit: its there its under Ciderhelm :) thanks for the podcast!

Turelliax
09-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Are the pdocasts still being updated on Itunes? I havent' gotten any new updaters in ages.

Petre
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
To manually add a podcast in iTunes (adding without going through the store) simply obtain the RSS feed link (right click the link in the previous post above and select 'copy link location).

Open iTunes. Select the Menu 'Advanced' > 'Subscribe to Podcast...'

Paste copied link into field.

Press 'Okay'.

This will get you the direct feed coming from Ciderhelm instead of going through the iTunes service, which means a usually more reliable feed. Try this option if you're having trouble getting recent episodes.

Bran
01-01-2009, 07:21 AM
To manually add a podcast in iTunes (adding without going through the store) simply obtain the RSS feed link (right click the link in the previous post above and select 'copy link location).

Open iTunes. Select the Menu 'Advanced' > 'Subscribe to Podcast...'

Paste copied link into field.

Press 'Okay'.

This will get you the direct feed coming from Ciderhelm instead of going through the iTunes service, which means a usually more reliable feed. Try this option if you're having trouble getting recent episodes.
This worked smashingly for the most recent Podcast (it was posted today and I decided to put it on my iPod this time since I'll be driving all day) but I see that there is a huge amount of older content that it doesn't seem to recognize.

Any idea what I could do short of downloading them individually?

Braux
01-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Any chance we'll see the Podcast on Zune Marketplace Officially soon?

Btw the method the above posters used for itunes also works for Zune Marketplace

just right click this link ----> Ciderhelm (http://ciderhelm.libsyn.com/rss/)
and "copy shortcut"
open Zune program
Select Collection-Podcasts
on the bottom left you will find the "add a podcast" button
Paste the URL into the new window.
Subscribe!

I mainly want it to be made official so I can get the tankspot picture to show on My Zune while I'm listening.

Ciderhelm
01-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Braux, I recall submitting a request for our podcast to be on Zune's official listing but it didn't go through. I would really, really like to see it listed there, as am an avid Zune lover myself.

Crakerjack
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello Ciderhelm, I wanted to ask you if youve ever considered putting up a video only pod cast that would show the boss fights just like you have posted them on youtube and the site. I think a lot of people would love to download the high rez versions then be able to watch them on the go via ipod iphone and the like. It sure whould be nice to catch up on boss strats when i have down time traveling for work. Thanks for any reply and keep up the good work man!

Krashtork
01-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Read the news and you'll find that they are in fact available for download to donors.

Biertank
02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Any chance we'll see the Podcast on Zune Marketplace Officially soon?

Btw the method the above posters used for itunes also works for Zune Marketplace

just right click this link ----> Ciderhelm (http://ciderhelm.libsyn.com/rss/)
and "copy shortcut"
open Zune program
Select Collection-Podcasts
on the bottom left you will find the "add a podcast" button
Paste the URL into the new window.
Subscribe!

I mainly want it to be made official so I can get the tankspot picture to show on My Zune while I'm listening.
beautifull

Khue
07-02-2009, 05:38 AM
For those of you with BlackBerrys, I recommend PodTrapper from VersatileMonkey.com. I am subscribed to the Tankspot (listed as Ciderhelm on the PodTrapper browser), The Instance, and a few NPR and IT related podcasts on it. I haven't actually used the iPod product but this one is super convenient and it makes it extremely easy to keep up with Tankspot podcasts.

(Sorry if this is posted in an inappropriate spot)

Liandrus
01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I subscribed to the podcasts and started listening but for some reason it seems that the podcasts will go normally for about 10-15 minutes then stop and jump to the next in the playlist, essentially cutting off the majority of the cast.

If anyone knows why please feel free to let me know. Subscribed to it using Amarok on a Kubuntu 9.10 installation

Frackd
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I am a donor and DL the videos - any tips for converting them to get them onto my iPhone? I assumed podcast ready file sizes would be there but they are all WMV. I can use FLV to convert them down to... what? 640x440? What bitrate?

Mmiz
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
just use HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to convert whatever you want.

Silenius
05-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Is/are there m3u playlists for the podcasts of lore?
or could you be bothered to make and update one?
Sadly, this is the only way my hardware internet radio supports podcasts..

many thanks in advance.

ps: i noticed i cant even find the xmls for pst and weekly marmot.

Warheart
07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Appears the podcasts are no longer being hosted, are they mirrored somewhere?

I liked listening to the guild related ones :(