PDA

View Full Version : archimonde. who gets left behind?

uruloki
05-06-2008, 06:46 AM
after spending last week entirely on archimonde, and him not having gone down... im compelled to ask. at what point do u just stop inviting people that get the fire and die repeatedly? or with the decurser that fails... or the guy that cant use tears... i heard archimonde is the ultimate retard check. we seem to have many.

is there anything we missed when explaining the fight? anyone have any tips as to how to down him...? last night was 120g in repairs. it hurts baby jesus

Corbusier
05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Try to die to the doomfires, you won't take durability damage.

After many, many attempts with results similar to the ones you described, we established the "sandbox rule". Any player repeatedly dieing to circumstances under his control, sat away from the raid and watched. No DPSing, just watching. Eventually we had to sit a couple people entirely, but the nature of the fight makes this possible; it is easy to down him before the enrage timer, so maximizing DPS isn't a huge factor.

It also helps to zoom your camera all the way out, and there's a few addons and macros that allow the camera to be zoomed out about twice as far as the default setting.

uruloki
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
i did a couple times, die to the fire. mting though, not always possible. interesting though, did the sandboxing help at all?

Corbusier
05-06-2008, 07:52 AM
It is more difficult to die to the doomfire as MT, I admit.

Yes, the sandbox did help, eventually. Oh we also had one of the raid leaders stand pretty far back and just call out doomfire locations, curse, airbursts, etc. so EVERY person knew what was going on. That helped quite a bit.

Satrina
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Dry runs can definitely be helpful here. No DPS at all, just make people avoid fire until you can hit about 5 minutes without anyone dying. Take note of the first person to die each attempt. If someone is consistently dying first, replace them. We tend to have the fire dropped most often to the west of Archimonde during every fight. Keep track of people who are superstars at avoiding fire. If you can identify somewhere that he tends to put fire more than other places, put those people there.

Worldie
05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
We just wait until the people who always die die, heal through the soul charge (it's always hunters, guess why they call em Huntards...) then kill him.

Marn
05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
at what point do u just stop inviting people that get the fire and die repeatedly?
When you run out of replacements. :D

If you're a small guild though, you either have to just open recruitment back up and develop a sidebar, or hope your raiders learn.

Indris
05-10-2008, 07:30 PM
While this fight is indeed a big 'retard check', it's not as much of an individual test than a raid coordination fight. Sure, some people take fires more often than others, and some have a knack at staying OOR for decursing - but in the long run, it's the synergy of your entire raid that matters, sometimes fire can indeed be nigh impossible to avoid and then it becomes up to healers to keep it up, sometimes a healer has to run through a fire to reach the tank in time - and needs some heals from someone else in turn; sometimes someone with their PvP trink on cd gets feared towards a fire and the only thing to save them is a well timed dispel, etc.

There's a lot more to it than 'DONT STEP INTO THE FIRE', really - and if you're going to go ahead with some sort of punishments for dying on this fight, do try to be more objective than just 'first person to die gets a -50dkp' or whatever; sometimes it really isn't their fault.

Anyhow, the fight takes most guilds ~2-3 wipenights to learn, with 4-5 being not too uncommon - so unless you've spent 3 resets on him or something, might be too early to start worrying about stupidity of your raids.

mattdeeze
05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I know nothing about the Archimonde fight, but the addon that I use to increase camera distance is Improved Camera 2. A bit off the topic, but I did see it mentioned and it is very helpful in a lot of fights.

Clifford
05-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Had our first evening on him and managed to get most aspects under control. Decursing was working really well in the end and airbursts survived. What was not working was groups getting split or isolated by doomfires and also some unfortunate sequences of events; for example if someone was airbursted and cursed at the same time. Not sure if this is normal.

Managed to get him to around 50% several times but then an inevitable death would cause a chain reaction. A decurser dying was probably the worst. However, we managed to heal through one or two soul-charges if the dead people weren't vital to the raid.

Tanking him is a breeze once I realised that he couldn't crush and was able to devote more attention to handling his fear than keeping shield-block up when the cooldown for fear was up.

Nice fight with some annoying "features" like someone being feared behind an invisible wall :/

BoomBeef
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I would try to pretty much tank him where he stands, so have tank and everyone ride into position they need to be at. That should allow everyone plenty of room to run away from fire should it head to them. Do all the right things as far as instructing people to turn and run, not try to strafe the fire etc. Take a look at this pic for an idea:
http://archisucks.9thorder.com/archi1.jpg
Invisible walls will not be an issue with so much room, but do identify walls if they are a problem for any groups.

This fight is really about healing synergy too. As stated above healers have to scramble to get back to tank from running in and out of fires all the time. You need to have hot's up on tank all the time and often the healer way out of range may have to heal the healer in range of tank if near a fire. I healed on this fight on my Pally alt. the first time we killed him not too long ago and I used my pvp trinket and bubble to make sure the tank had heals the first 2 fears. Announcing incoming fears 5-7 secs before cool-down helps a lot too so people that do not have a fear totem, fear ward or pvp trinket due to all these fear breaks being on CD can get away from being feared into a fire.

Purification pots help in the situation where you get an unlucky Air Burst + Grip combo. We used five decursers, pretty much one per group and did fine. Melee is no longer safe from Doomfires ver2. either, have them use Vent to coordinate moving around or away from it. We do put at least two healers in melee, one decursing druid that also hot's the MT and one pally that can bubble and keep MT up in a problem situation.

Remind mages to blink to save some fall damage. Have people constantly check tears before attempts so they know they it will work when they need it to. Tell your ranged if they run into fires, they take away heals from the tank and melee which will need them a lot more. No reason any ranged people should be first to die.

Make a goal to last through a few fears, then 2 minutes, then maybe 5 and then to the enrage. You get to that point, DPS will be easy as also stated above. We got to enrage once on our practice night and then came back the next day and killed him. It really does come down to that. Practice a crap ton, and tell everyone, this is a survival fight.

This fight is not very forgiving of mistakes so make them all focus and try to get them to help each other out. Tremor totems, Imp. Concentration Aura, Fear wards on healers all help.

And when a wipe is called, run into the fire to save on repairs. Make everyone respect the fire!