PDA

View Full Version : High King Maulgar Tanking

Juised
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
i got hit pretty hard when i went to tank hkm and in the end a druid ended up tanking hkm. i was told that im pretty much undergeared to tank hkm. just wanted a heads up if its true or not and would like any tips regarding any enchant changes and if i should gear for more avoidance than hp.

Kream
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
You are slightly undergeared for tanking him.

HKM is one of those fights where the random number generator can decide to hate you, I've taken 20K damage in 3 seconds and it resulted in my death. However all the other times I've done just fine.

You should be able to outperform the druid just because you have Thunderclap on your bar. HKM should always have Thunderclap and Demo Shout on him since threat isn't an issue.

Juised
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
hm is it worth trying to tank him again or do i have to wait to gear up a bit more ?

Tatt
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I think if you take the right consumables and buffs you should be able to tank him, keep the debuffs up, go buy some nightmare seeds and ironshield pots off the ah, keep your oh shit buttons ready.

Nuberino
05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
You have similar gear to what I had when I first tanked him.

As Tattman said, make sure you have the right consumables. Get a Flask of Fortitude, some spicy crawdads, ensure that you have a improved Fort and Blessing of Kings. If you have a spare lock have him throw an imp next to you (first imp should go to the mage tank which should be no where near you). And have ironshields ready to go. At your gear level you need to pull all the stops to push you over the EH minimum.

1. Prioritize shield block over everything else. You should have 2-3 minutes (or more if you dps is about the same gear level as you) of lead agro time.
2. Thunderclap always up.
3. Demo shout always up.
4. Chain pop ironshield pots if you feel like you are still "on the verge".
5. Hit that moroes trinket as soon as you have debuffed him and solidified agro on yourself.
6. Keep Last Stand up for when you get a nasty hit combo.
7. It is the first minute of the fight that is critical (e.g. once adds start dropping more healers should transition to you) - hit shield wall if your health is not getting back up to full after each hit about 30 seconds into the fight (e.g. the pull went well, now you just need to survive till more healers can move to you).

Dismember
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Looking at your Armory link I don't see anything that makes me think you wouldn't be able to tank HKM. You're certainly not overgeared for the encounter, but your gear should be sufficient. If you are taking an inordinate amount of damage, I'd suspect skill usage and rotation more than equipment.

Regardless of that, if there is a tank in the raid who is better suited to tank HKM than you are (due to gear or ability), than they should definitely be tanking HKM. After all, it's a tank-rich encounter, so it's not like you'll have to sit in the corner or anything. At this point in your progression you may be better off on the Priest.

Jorar
06-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Ok im going into Gruuls lair for the first time with my guild. I am going to be main tanking HKM ive been reading up the fight and know it but im trying to make sure i hav the gear for it.

Here is my armory link.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=Jorar)

Squeegiemama
06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok im going into Gruuls lair for the first time with my guild. I am going to be main tanking HKM ive been reading up the fight and know it but im trying to make sure i hav the gear for it.

Here is my armory link.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=Jorar)

Of course you are...have faith in your equipment...if you have any badge gear you are pretty much starting to be overgeared for it.

Jorar
06-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok thank you. Just wanted to make sure. Well wish me luck. And GL to all u first timers.

Armstrong
06-06-2008, 11:13 PM
hm is it worth trying to tank him again or do i have to wait to gear up a bit more ?

You easily out-gear Maulgar. You gear is on par for MTing Tier5 content and could comfortably handle off-tanking early Tier6.