PDA

View Full Version : Confused about EH and avoidance?

Dilly
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi guys,
Im starting to get pretty decent gear but i am lil confused at where my dodge and parry should be at. I think my parry rating is fine but i feel like my dodge rating might be a lil low. When should i stop gemming for EH and start throwing in some gems for dodge/avoidance?

Thank you very much for your help!

Link To Armory:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Dezel)

Ciderhelm
05-03-2008, 04:28 PM
1) Which content are you doing right now?

2) For most purposes, worrying about your Dodge and Parry separately is not worth the time. Consider them one and the same, and worry about your overall Avoidance (with Chance to be Missed increasing from Defense).

Dilly
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
My main focus right now is getting through za, have downed the bear and eagle boss thus far! Have done gruuls and hope to move on to ssc and tk soon. Up to this point i always have gemmed for EH!

Thanks for the replys!

Foolishness
05-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Your avoidance seems very low.

If you are worried about surviving, then you should think about changing out your threat stats for avoidance, rather than your EH. I would also suggest going for set bonuses. Using green and purple gems you can boost your avoidance, and get free stats, at very little cost to your EH. It makes little sense to me, that you have used blue and yellow gems, yet have not gone for set bonuses. If i were you i would keep the expertise items, but ditch the block value items.

Changing your chest enchant to 15 def, and your braces to 12 def, would be more of an efficient switch to avoidance (in terms of itemisation) rather than swapping stam gems for equivalent def or dodge gems. You also badly need a head enchant, which will raise your avoidance significantly. It can be obtained from keepers of time at revered rep.

I also see you are using a fort elixer. If you are using a fort elixer, make sure you use an agility elixer at the same time. You can have both at once.

Finally, you shouldn't be wearing DPS shoulders. If your threat is so much of an issue that you need to wear DPS shoulders, then you seriously need to review your threat generation skills. In the gear you are wearing, i'm sure i could generate 1.5 K TPS on stablehands in Karazhan. Its seriously overkill.

Davi
05-04-2008, 07:55 AM
With slightly less hit, I have trouble generating HALF of this "1.5k TPS," even on a boss with a solid rage feed. The only time I've even been close is when I'm multi-tanking and using Fel-Iron Bombs. Where is this number coming from?

Dilly
05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Your avoidance seems very low.

If you are worried about surviving, then you should think about changing out your threat stats for avoidance, rather than your EH. I would also suggest going for set bonuses. Using green and purple gems you can boost your avoidance, and get free stats, at very little cost to your EH. It makes little sense to me, that you have used blue and yellow gems, yet have not gone for set bonuses. If i were you i would keep the expertise items, but ditch the block value items.

Changing your chest enchant to 15 def, and your braces to 12 def, would be more of an efficient switch to avoidance (in terms of itemisation) rather than swapping stam gems for equivalent def or dodge gems. You also badly need a head enchant, which will raise your avoidance significantly. It can be obtained from keepers of time at revered rep.

I also see you are using a fort elixer. If you are using a fort elixer, make sure you use an agility elixer at the same time. You can have both at once.

Finally, you shouldn't be wearing DPS shoulders. If your threat is so much of an issue that you need to wear DPS shoulders, then you seriously need to review your threat generation skills. In the gear you are wearing, i'm sure i could generate 1.5 K TPS on stablehands in Karazhan. Its seriously overkill.

Thank you for the reply. The only reason i used yellow gems was to make sure my def was at 490. About to grap the new badge chest guard so should be able to replace them wit hthe extra defense rating on thechest. As for the shoulders the only reason i am wearing them is basically have not gotten anyting better yet. So you dont think i should gem for EH? After all the reading i have done on here that is what i thought woudl be best to do, thus all the +12 stam gems. Have to look into it more, thanks for your time!

Lionides
05-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi , If I may I would just ask a few questions regarding the some of the same concerns in this thread :)

Ok my gear is either T5 or equivalent and we are currently raiding SSC(allmost clear) TK same as SSC , ZA (last 2 bosses left) and moving into HS this week.

I have basically built up 2 sets of gear concerning max mitigation and then max tps .
My questions are concerning mitigation : What is too much dodge and where does the balance between 100% mit and block and armor lie? What is the minimum hit and xtise I must keep before I'm sacrificing to much for mitigation ?

Currently with my full mit gear on my stats look round about like this (all unbuffed) : 17900 armor , 15600 health , 515 def rat , 27.?? % dodge , 18.5% parry , 27.?? % block , expertise 20 , hit 53 . But as I said thats going FULL mitigation .

Any advice would really be greatly appreciated :)

Lionides ( Bloodhoof , Alliance )
(Sorty noob here don't know how to do linky thingy :P)

Dilly
05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Sheesh hi jacking my thread, honestly!

Lionides
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi Dilly

Imo the questions that I have asked was in the same line of the question you have asked and I thought that it might help you get some of the questions that you have answered . I allso thought it would be quite useless to open a new thread on a subject allready beeing discussed.

I apologize if I have intruded into your personal space and as looking special is clearly your bigger goal over gaining the knowledge that you need , I apologize for not knowing your true intention with this thread .

Lionides

Kazeyonoma
05-07-2008, 09:14 AM
your EH is pretty decent for your content, it's not terrible, but the shoulders definitely need to go, grab season 1 shoulders if you can they have a lot of armor and stamina and 2 slots to stick more stamina in. They aren't ideal tanking shoulders but they definitely fit the mold for EH and likewise the resilience from it will help you remain/reach uncrittability.

Your other pieces of gear could be upgraded of course so keep running karazhan, there's a few upgrades there for you still (namely the helm) but you should be able to take on the first half of ZA with that setup. Your avoidance isn't that bad, its higher than mine when I full cleared ZA.

Dilly
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Dilly

Imo the questions that I have asked was in the same line of the question you have asked and I thought that it might help you get some of the questions that you have answered . I allso thought it would be quite useless to open a new thread on a subject allready beeing discussed.

I apologize if I have intruded into your personal space and as looking special is clearly your bigger goal over gaining the knowledge that you need , I apologize for not knowing your true intention with this thread .

Lionides

Huh? Looking special?? hmm i dont get it. Anyways

Dilly
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
your EH is pretty decent for your content, it's not terrible, but the shoulders definitely need to go, grab season 1 shoulders if you can they have a lot of armor and stamina and 2 slots to stick more stamina in. They aren't ideal tanking shoulders but they definitely fit the mold for EH and likewise the resilience from it will help you remain/reach uncrittability.

Your other pieces of gear could be upgraded of course so keep running karazhan, there's a few upgrades there for you still (namely the helm) but you should be able to take on the first half of ZA with that setup. Your avoidance isn't that bad, its higher than mine when I full cleared ZA.

Thank you very much kaz, this post was very helpful. Shoulders do need to go for sure. Tmed loot on nalorrak is pretty easy so hopefull those shoulders drop asap. And as for kara, i definatley need couple more things from there. Mainly kings defender and as for my helm hopefully i can get some luck there soon as well. Thank you very very much for your reply, moocho appeciated!

Dilly

JayDee81
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't fully understand your gemming - yes, EH is good.

I just wouldn't pass on the +6 Stam socket bonus on the trousers if you can't put 3x+15 Stam in there. Instead of 3 x 12Stam (=36 Stam) you could go +12 Stam, +4 Dodge & + 6 Stam, +4 Def & + 6 Stam, trading 6 Stam vs. 4 Def & 4 Dodge.

Then you socket the Khorium Destroyer with +4 Dodge & +6 Stam, bypassing the +3 Stam socket bonus you would get with +4 Def & +6 Stam or +8 Hit.

Other than that your gear is probably better than mine and I have tanked void and most of ZA with Blue Gloves (Felsteel) and Ragesteel Shoulders :)

EDIT: Why don't you use the Kara Exalted Ring over Arans? I guess either because you are low on def, which could easily be solved with Gems/Enchants, or you are not Exalted, which can also easily be done.

Oh and on the shoulders, the Heroic Sethekk Halls Shoulders are decent and it's a very quick run. Allthough they never dropped for me on what must have been 50 runs.