PDA

View Full Version : The Lurker below (SSC - Tank POV)

Psysica
05-03-2008, 03:52 AM
This is still a rather new boss to me, as I have only visited him twice for the time being. First time a 2 attempts after our first Hydross kill, but not to much focus there. But this week have set our focus on SSC on our three 25 man raid nights. That have payed of, by our first Lurker kill this week. More precise 1st of may 2008. Screenshot here. (http://noncomposmentis-guild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802)

I was Mt'ing it, so this is about the info I can share for the MT at this point. As I see it there are two ways you can tank him, on the platform around him. I will call that metod 1. And in the water, just in front of him, metod 2.

Metod 1 :
At the start of the fight stand on the spot you want to tank him. If you look at your surroundings there is a rock piece coming up of the water just outside the round platform. Position yourself so your back are facing that piece of rock. But avoid standing in the water that runs over the platform close by. And then get your fishers to start fishing. The minut he jumps up from the water, target him and start hitting. You can actually get some hits on him in the air, a little threat always helps.. ;)

He will then dive and come up in the pool in the middle. He dosent hit very hard, so my advice is to have a bit of threat gear on as well. As your healers should have no problem holding you up. He have two main abilities. Spout and whirl. Spout being the worst of those two. His whirl makes a small knockback, which will hit you onto the back of the platform and out of melee range. Stand when you tank him so close to him as possible. To make sure the whirl only hits you back on the platform and not all into the water on the other side. When he does the whirl, just run back into melee range as fast as possible, and continue tanking him. You problaly think what can go wrong here. Well two things. He will knockback you all the way back into the water, which will make the time bigger to get back into melee range. Which you should minimize as much as possible. Second if a melee dps engage him before you are back, he will focus on them untill you are back into melee. Despite your threat level is higher.
Spout, the one too worry about. You will get a text on your screen. That he is taking a deep breath in, he is now about to spout. Now you have to act fast, the second you see the text. Jump into the water just infront of him. You dont have to dive under water, just stay in the surface. So you can see him in full still. Is requires a few try's to get it right. You just have to more or less, just walk out into the water. You are now out of harms way of the spout and can still tank him. Most times after a spout he will whirl. Stay in the water, the whirl will then just give you a small knockback back into your tank spot on the platform.
When you get into the add phase when the lurker dives. You should just stay at your tank spot. Grabbing him when he returns. Rinse, repeat and you got yourself a kill.

Method 2 :
The difference from method 1, is not much more than the place you tank him. You simply all through the fight tank him in the water. Same place as you go and hide from the spout in method 1. You will take a bit of dmg through out the whole fight, which aint very much. It can easyli being healed through. But you dont have to worry about the spout as you already are in the spot for it. And the whirl will give you a small knockback. Which you after just jump into the water again and tank him. Only thing you have to worry about is getting out of the water when he dives for the add phase. As it seems like he made a big knockback there. (Would be nice if someone could confirm this in anyway.)

Hope this can help any new tanks to this fight, to be more on top of it all. And get your guild a nice kill. Good luck in there.

Tobius
05-04-2008, 03:28 AM
I like to tank him on the platform, but jump into the water just before the whirl. Get it right and he just knocks you back to where you were tanking before you jumped in the wate, leaving you in melee range the whole time.

You have to keep an eye out for the whirl and spout but if you have boss mods that shouldnt be a problem.

Kamani
05-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Honestly, I suggest making this fight as hard as possible on yourself. As the MT, you should be a good bit more capable then everybody else around you. And this fight is incredibly easy and offers you many opportunities to practice movement and awareness. Not to mention moving around constantly and being forced to think and react is fun.

If you choose to just sit in the water the entire time then you don't enjoy the game enough to be a MT.

Psysica
05-05-2008, 04:49 AM
I agree with you Kamani. Reason why I do it like in method 1. I just thought it would be more covered if I took both of the options in the post.. :)

But as you say, one of the main reason is so fun to play as MT, is the challenge and the awareness you have to have and use.

phaze
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
For a guide, I like WowWiki's version (http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Lurker_Below).

As for 'stay on platform' vs. 'stay in water': The Water Spit is a random target, so you're adding a risk to the fight by staying on the platform. If you're ok with that, then that's fine. =)

Only thing you have to worry about is getting out of the water when he dives for the add phase. As it seems like he made a big knockback there. (Would be nice if someone could confirm this in anyway.)

The only timed knockback is Whirl. If he submerges at a different time than the Whirl timer, you'll have to get out the water the old-fashioned way. ;)

Throng
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
We had our first few attempts at Lurker last night. I wasn't MT but it was a lot of fun anyway; you really have to be on your toes, what with jumping in and out of the water, running back after a whirl, picking up the adds and positioning them without getting anybody cleaved.
Anyway, he was <30&#37; and I'm sure we'll get him down next time.

brain9h
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I prefer to tank him in the platform.

He is tauntable, I strongly suggest you open the fight with with a taut to avoid melee/offtanks stealing your agro the moment he flies out of the water.

Morgo
05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
One more thing: If you ever miss a spout and start flying, you CAN switch to zerker stance and intercept before being out of range, you just have to be really quick. But to be ready for this, you shouldn't get hit by spout in the first place ;) Sometimes happens to me due to lag though. Always fun to charge through the air =)

Lavache
05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
biggest issue i have with staying in the water is my camera does wonky things and i cant see whats going on around me. i have ended up on the other side of the platform because of this more than once...

otherwise its easymode to just stay in the water the whole time.