PDA

View Full Version : how bad are slow weapons

oldmannus
05-02-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my tanking axe from the old starter standby Grom'tors Charge. As an orc, I would prefer to stick with axes, both for roleplaying reasons and for the expertise bonus. One weapon I could pick up reasonably easily is gladiator's cleaver - Thottbot: World of Warcraft (http://thottbot.com/?s=gladiator%27s+cleaver) . This would be an upgrade in dps, hit, ap, and crit. My one question is that the speed is a painfully slow 2.6. How much is that going to impact its use while tanking? I've read various threads saying that faster weapons are better for tanking, but I'm not sure just how big the practical difference is.

In short, if you were an orc tank, would you use Grom'tor or the cleaver?

Thanks!

< p.s. Yes, I'm still trying to get my Sun Eater, KD, and so forth. This is just an intermediate upgrade >

Kazeyonoma
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
if you can farm up the rep:
Warbringer is a great item tanking weapon for an orc exalted reputation with Thrallmar.

ebs2002
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm an orc, and I've passed on the suneater and kings defender to keep my warbringer for the extra 5 expertise on it (approx 20 expertise rating).

The slower your weapon is, the spikier your rage generation is from melee, and the less you can Heroic Strike over the course of a minute. Your devastate damage goes up with a slower weapon, but it's not nearly enough to make up for the threat you get when spamming HS

Brucimus
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I tried to off spec tank Heroic Black Morass last night with my newly acquired Talon of Azshara

It wasnt pretty

Just felt like i was waiting on every swing

Crimsonstorm
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Slow is better in low rage situations, its only worse when you have plenty of rage (25 man tanking mostly). When youre taking enough damage that you cna heroic strike most attacks with a 1.6 speed, fast is better. If you wouldnt be able to heroic strike more than every 2.7 seconds, you might as well use the 2.7 speed weapon to improve devastate threat.

ebs2002
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Slow is better in low rage situations, its only worse when you have plenty of rage (25 man tanking mostly). When youre taking enough damage that you cna heroic strike most attacks with a 1.6 speed, fast is better. If you wouldnt be able to heroic strike more than every 2.7 seconds, you might as well use the 2.7 speed weapon to improve devastate threat.

Well said. I'd just like to expand that most situations are not low-rage situations in 10mans either. The only time you're in a low-rage situation is when you've outgeared the content by a large amount (tanking 5mans in T6 gear), or when you're an offtank trying to be 2nd in threat on a target.

Ikoren
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Lemme just piggy back on this post to ask a related question.
I'm an Orc so I'd get the Expertise bonus by using Warbringer.
But I already have King's Defender and Sun Eater. Is it worth it to throw down the gold for the Warbringer + a new Mongoose enchant if I already have both swords?

Subquestion:
In terms of tanking weapons would these three be the only upgrades I could possibly get outside of Mallet of the Tides and Brutalizer (which I don't have access to)?