PDA

View Full Version : Cleaver VS Mallet

Jibou
05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd just like to hear some thoughts about the 2 weapons.
cleaver of the unforgiving
mallet of the tides

My armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kazzak&n=Jibou)
As you can see I'm way above the dodge cap, and am around the theoretical parry cap for avoidance (in fact, I very rarely see any parries now). This means that I could probably give up some expertise for some extra parry and HP (and don't forget the +hit from cleaver).

I'd like to hear some thoughts about it. I was thinking of putting a 12stam on the cleaver if I make it my usual weapon. Of course, if not, I'd just turn it into a high threat with 10hit rat gem and executionner, but I'd like to know wot you guys think and in what situations you would use which.

ebs2002
05-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Try searching, I'm pretty sure this has been dissected on a number of occasions.

You're above the expertise dodge cap, so 1exp rating = 1hit rating until you reach the hit cap. You're going to get more threat from the +2threat-rating on the mallet over the cleaver, but you lose 1.6dps and go down 0.1spd, and lose a small amount of threat from the increased parry chance. Since you're not a human, I'd say that the cleaver has slightly better threat (if you have unlimited rage, it's the clear favorite).

Looking at them from an avoidance perspective, the cleaver has ~0.04% more avoidance (marginal), but the mallet increases your expertise enough to knock out more parries.

My call is to put mongoose on the Mallet and use it for avoidance fights and anything you're really concerned about parry-gibs, and stick executioner and +10 hit in the cleaver and use it for threat.

Harkor
05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
As a dwarf I'd be tempted to throw a 15 sta in the cleaver and make it your EH weapon. But I'm pretty sure in the majority of situations the Mallet is superior if you're not an orc.

I'd just save my money and keep using the mallet while you wait to get to Supremus.

Jibou
05-02-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm really not concerned about parry-gibs anymore. I have 43 expertise and I very rarely see any parries, even without the mallet I'd be at 40 which would mean parries are still rare.

The way I see it is that I can spare the extra parry reduction, for an extra avoidance from the cleaver (very small), the threat is almost the same 12 hit / 14 expertise but the cleaver does more DPS, so it's equal there.
If you analyse it that way, it all comes down to the stam. With a 12stam gem on the cleaver I gain 9 stam, which would make the cleaver very slightly better in most occasions.

Thoughts?