View Full Version : Armor and Armor Penetration Scaling

Voltaik
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Why is it that we generally accept the claim that

1) Armor doesn't suffer from diminishing returns

with regard to tank gearing, while also claiming that

2) Armor penetration scales with itself

when speaking of fury warrior gearing?

I suspect the answer lies in that (1) is supported by the notion that tanks are trying to maximize the time it takes for a boss to kill them, while (2) is being considered with the idea of maximizing personal damage per second. Perhaps fury warriors should be considering the boss's time to death instead of dps as a benchmark?

Corbusier
04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Armor does not suffer diminishing returns. Mitigation % from armor does.

Crimsonstorm
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Each 100 points of armor you add increases your time to live by X seconds against a given level of incoming damage. (For some value of X based on various things, like your hp)

Each 100 points of armor penetration you add decreases the time to kill the mob by X seconds (for some value of X based on your ap, crit, haste, hit, etc, and the boss's hp).

Its the same principle. Of course, that also means that adding 100 Armor penetration repeatedly will yield larger and larger dps increases (until you are capped), because to keep decreasing the time to kill the mob by X seconds requires larger and larger increases in dps.

Ciderhelm
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Armor does not suffer diminishing returns. Mitigation % from armor does.

Correct.

To expand on this, a quick and dirty (and slightly inaccurate) illustration can be made:

If you're fighting a Druid with 35,000 Armor, decreasing their Armor by 1,000 will increase your DPS on them by a half percent.

If you're fighting a Mage with 1,000 Armor, decreasing their Armor by 1,000 will increase your DPS on them by ten percent.

The above percentages are made up, but basically Armor Penetration (and Sunders, etc) combine for a very potent effect, especially on targets with less than 10k base Armor. To my knowledge, this includes every raid boss.

shiz98
04-30-2008, 12:09 AM
So what follows is that a linear increase in raid DPS does not coincide with linear decrease in the time it takes to kill the mob.

Example
Mob HP: 1000
Raid DPS: 100
Time to kill: 10s

Raid DPS: 110
Time to kill: 9.1s

More drastic example
Raid DPS: 200
Time to kill: 5s

Notice that even though the raid's DPS increased by 10%, it doesn't take 10% less time to kill the mob. In the first case there was a slight difference which I don't care to calculate. In the second example, a 200% increase in DPS lead to the kill time being halved.

Simply put, boss time to live behaves similar to mitigation from armor; the first initial points of DPS are more valuable than the later points. I made a graph, but it's not very interesting. I can attach it if you'd like.