PDA

View Full Version : Gemming gear properly for PvE arms/fury.

Robstar
04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm originally a tanker, I focused whatever knowledge I had with the game into tanking. But now that's all turned upside down since I've decided to go arms/fury and leave only one Prot warrior in the 25 mans. I chose the BF route.

The only problem, is that even after reading for about six hours now and having a grasp on how I should gear my warrior, I'm stuck on the gemming. Living ruby's are expensive as all hell these days and I don't want to waste 100g on a bad choice of a gem, especially since I'm concerned about my hit rating.

How am I supposed to be gearing myself, I'll try make the questions more specific.

Is it wise to stack +hit gems till I hit the 142 rating like everyone has been stating?

Is this bad if it literally leaves me with not many places for str + crit?

Does this become less of an issue as raiding progresses? For example, we're only at SSC/TK level, we will step into bt/mh soon, but not yet.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Robstar)

This is my armory, it hasn't updated yet unfortunately, I'm currently sitting at 75 hit rating with a couple of hit gems in the gear and I think I should drop by the cenarion guy and pick up a glyph of ferocity and I also believe I should throw a surefooted on the Sunstrider boots. But I'm still fairly unsure, someone perhaps enlighten me. Nagas. =]

Spaceknight
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Gemming for hit is not really advisable unless its absolutely neccessary. I can see a lot of your gear that can be easily replaced and be able to hit 142 hit rating. I would recommend you get the new 150 badge 2hander. Get the leather leggings from SP heroic or the 100 badge leather leggings. If you're still short on Hit, get the neck and xbow from Attumen. You can probably switch your bracers with the lurker ones, since you guys are downing him.

IF you're still short on hit there, gem for it.. but don't overdo it. Also, when gemming I believe it's mostly Str gems until MH/BT where its get to be kinda more into CRIT.

Robstar
04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Ah! That's good enough advice for me, cheers mate. :)

shiz98
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Getting to 142 hit rating should be your first priority, but as Spaceknight said, you can find good +hit items elsewhere, and avoid gemming for it. One of my favorite ranged pieces is Felsteel Whisper Knives, which will provide a nice boost to your hit that's hard to find elsewhere with a good balance of other stats. If you PvP, considerr picking up Gladiator's Greatsword, which provides a very nice hit boost, along with decent other stats (loses a bit of AP, however).

The choice between AP/Crit is largely personal, but you should try to aim for 33% crit or so before stacking AP. Flurry/Deep Wounds uptime is key.

This is a totally personal opinion, but I would recommend you don't use leather gear... the armor does have its uses. If you're going for the 100 badge pants, the BT level plate ones are actually quite decent for Arms PvE, and give a ton of hit.

Robstar
04-28-2008, 01:03 AM
In most situations I would hold out on leather stuff for plate stuff, but it seems just coincidence that any gear that was leather was going to get sharded, was also better than what I had in terms of DPS stuff. Thus the leather helm and what not.

On another note, I believe strongly that armor really is not that important in our 25 mans, no one ever dies, our healers are always on the ball and so are the melee, I too, feel confident in myself to get out when I need to, get in when I need to. But if it's something like Leo, I use a mix of DPS/Prot gear anyway. ATM I'm just aiming for the stats I need, no matter the type of gear it might be. ><

Gladiator's Greatsword does look like it does more damage than my Despair currently, perhaps a few AV games are in order. haha~

Arrivan
04-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Hey, another Aussie :D

I agree that armour isn't that important for DPSing. It's a shame that DPS plate is so poorly itemised (or non existant in some raids - Karazhan, I'm looking at you) until SSC/TK at the least. In the rare event I need armour for DPS, I swap in my S1 gloves and shoulders to replace my leather pieces.

And yes, S1 sword would be better than Despair :)

Ukyo
04-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Your gear isn't that bad, if you guys are farming 3 TK and 5 SSC, you should go try MH and Rage, those shoulders are pretty nice. Possible upgrades for you:

Warbringer Battle-Helm
Gladiator's Greatsword w/ Savagery or Mongoose if you can afford it
Vindicator's Band of Triumph
Battlemaster's Cruelty or Hourglass of the Unraveller
Shard of Contempt
Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece or Netherforce Chestplate

Priorities are Shard, and the ring. Then you can relax a little and start getting something else. Fel-steel Warhelm worked for me for a while too. You can wait for a few weeks and get Merciless Gladiator's Greatsword and then you should be set when you get every other upgrade.

Crimsonstorm
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
If you dont have another way to reach 142 hit rating, then you could gem it. However, the goal is to reach the hit rating without gemming, via well itemized pieces (Str/Crit/Hit for example), and then to gem:

Str in Red
Str/Crit in yellow
Str/Stam in blue. (You need 2 blues for Relentless earthstorm diamond). If you have more than 2 blue sockets, it might be better to gem extras with all Red instead of getting socket bonus, but this really depends on the specific pieces you have).

Spaceknight
04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
But it's so much better for him to get the badge weapon instead of the merciless glad sword. Hit rating is easily accessible through gear anyways. You should definitely switch out that chest for s3 or Netherforce breastplate and get a new ring.