PDA

View Full Version : Spellreflect fun in 5mans

Morgo
04-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey,

i decided to write this up since listening to the podcast on tankingtips about heroics and MGT:

I personally love spellreflect, because it can make 5mans a lot easier if used at the right time, so I thought about getting a list started when to pop it and why.

First off some things about spellreflect: Normally it will only spellreflect one direct damage spell, but there are two exceptions to this:

1. Several spells land at the same time. All of those will be be reflected, but sometimes only one will do reflected damage if they are slightly out of sync.

2. "burning ground" stuff that ticks for xxx damage every second. You will spellreflect the ticks without using up the charge, so you can get around 4 ticks out of your one spellreflect if timed right.

SR is also not modified by def stance, so the number you see is the exact amount of threat you just produced.

Now, the list! It is far from complete, I will probably edit it as soon as I remember more.

Mechanar:
Spellreflect if a charged fist from a destroyer gets trough. It will only reflect the additional arcane damage, but again no charges are used, so you can reflect several attacks. Better be quick with shield bash ;)

Try to save spellreflect For the Astromancer's Solarburn that trows you in the air. Eat the scorches and shield bash the 2nd mob's Solarburn if not cc'ed.

Both Engineers's rays can be reflected, but it's much more fun to hit spellreflect before braking cc on them, because they probably will use the instant-cast shrink ray first, and now YOU are the big guy! <3

Botanica:
Keep spellreflect on cooldown while tanking the Greenkeepers.

Arcatraz:
i'm not sure if you can SR the void zones summoned by the first boss. Have to check.

Slave Pens:
Spellreflect the fear by the Nether Rays around the 2nd boss. Works best if you are the only melee since they will always target you.

Underbog:
SR the Cripple done by Collaborateurs (spelled right?).
Keep on cooldown while fighting the wasp-something-thingies before the hunter boss(you can SR the Poison Spit)

Steamvaults:
You can spellreflect the fears for some fun, but make sure to pull way back.

Ramparts:
keep on cooldown when fighting casters, and always spellreflect right before being hit by the fire breath done by the dragon. you will only reflect the burning ground stuff, but if you got the timing down, you can stay in the fire for a moment more.

Shattered Halls:
<3 the void zones from first boss! keep spellreflect ready, and as soon as he summons a zone beneath you or anoter melee, SR, jump in and watch the numbers fly! just make sure you move out again before SR expires...
SR also helps with the casters in the later packs.

Sethekk halls:
see the guide on top of this page ;)
Also keep on cooldown when tanking the Lightning Serpents. You will either SR the chain lightning or the frostbolts.

Shadow Labs:
damn, basically keep on cooldown against any type of caster, haven't been there for a while.

Black Morass:
The Thunderclap done by the Melee type miniboss is reflectable and on a similar cooldown as spellreflect. Try to get in sync.
You can also reflect the "Curse of vulnerability" (spelling?) done by the warlock type right before a shadow bolt nova. Try to get lucky with good timing for 50&#37; more magical damage for your casters! If you missed the curse just SR the Shadow bolt nova.
On the mage type, you can SR all attacks, but they won't do reflect damage. Always SR the Pyroblast if it's targetted at you, otherwise SR right after a Frostbolt and hope you reflect a following blast wave.
SR the time stop done by the final boss, its cooldown is slightly longer than SR, just try and guess. Sadly it does not time stop him :-/

MGT:
Well, listen to the podcast! ;) Use SR to offtank a caster, just keep it on cooldown between shield bashs/kicks.

Hope this helps someone who's new to those instances/heroics. If you can think of any other examples where SR is nice to use, please respond! SR is one of the reasons I like my warroir better than my DROOD in 5mans(well maybe except in SH)

Arrivan
04-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I approve of this thread. Some of these are new to me (eg the void zones on the first boss in SH, I must try that) and I'm exalted with every 5 man instance faction (except SSO, but I will be once I reactivate my account).

Derrick
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
i always thought SR was just useless fun to play with when the DPS sucks and i have lots of rage to play with.... until Mount Hyjal! here it is nearly an absolute necessity for some of the pulls (first wave before azgalor!) suddenly i gained a whole new appreciation for SR and have gone back to other instances to look for uses beyond just having fun. MgT is filled with them of course.

lightpost
04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
i always get a kick using spell reflect on the last warlock+imp pull in heroic blood furnace... seeing the warlocks corruption and about 6 fireballs getting reflected is such a great feeling :)

Worldie
04-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Lol you can reflect the timestop from Aeonus?

I must absolutely go heroic BM with my war asap then.

Morgo
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Lol you can reflect the timestop from Aeonus?

I must absolutely go heroic BM with my war asap then.

Well, of course it does not freeze Aeonus :P but at least you can still hit him and avoid hits. Edited the first post accordingly.

Magnuss
05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
The most i use spell reflect is when i have a mutlimob pull where there are casters involved and melee. This is the case in ALOT of instances but typically heroic SP and SV have it alot. I will mark the casters as the initial kill targets and pull a melee with my gun. Then when the casters begin their initial cast you hit bloodrage and SR and you now have enough aggro on each of them to let your dps take them down without ever having to actually tank them. Depending on how quickly your DPS kills these targets and if they continue to cast after the SR, you can effectively tank quite a few guys without ever being near them

ceffo
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Its funny to see those spells bouncing off u like your superman and some pug dps noobs going waoh. :cool:

annerajb
06-24-2008, 05:52 AM
yeah SR is godly. in blackmorass i like to hit adds and run to the riftlords and one of the adds i hitted where casters so i just used SR always and you could see a Frost Bolt fly across the whole place and the healer wondering WTF was that.

Muggs
06-24-2008, 05:55 AM
You can SR the mind flay the spriests do in Slabs, on heroic it really messes them up.

Sickman
06-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Just adding to the topic, In Old Hillsbrad (normal mode), you can spell reflect the second boss's Hammer Of Justice. It does not stun him, but it does protect you from being stunned. I have not tried this on heroic yet.

.Sick

Sirq
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Slave pens:
several more; - the observers cast a immolate which is quite usefull for building threat without hitting it, also the mindsoothers/enchantresses(spellingplx?) use spells that are easily SR’d.

Underbog:
Try to time the 5stack disease on the underbog colossus, easily SR’d with some practise usually re-do SR when the dot runs out.
also those castermobs before the 2nd boss, they cast corruption, a 50% spelldmg increase debuff, and frost/fireballs I think.

Ramparts:
About those packs with that 1 melee mob and 3/4 casters surrounding him, Pop bloodrage, charge in, use SR, go def and run back, you’ll end up SR’ing all of em, make sure your CC does not interupt or CC atall :P. and just keep spamming SR when it’s ready, it basically will get them to 30ish% when the melee mob is down :>.

Shadow Labs:
damn, basically keep on cooldown against any type of caster, haven't been there for a while.
best one would be spellreflecting MindFlay on the shadowpriest :P. ticks for quit a load.

Black Morass:
On the mage type, you can SR all attacks, but they won't do reflect damage. I don’t know what spell you mean but frostbolts etc do spellreflect :O.

ed; MGT - those arcane protectors alike mechanicals, keep up spellreflect for that occasional lightning strike thingy

I guess that’s it, peace owt

Morgo
06-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Black Morass:
On the mage type, you can SR all attacks, but they won't do reflect damage. I donít know what spell you mean but frostbolts etc do spellreflect :O.

Yeah, I know they reflect, but AFAIK, you will get an "immune" message back from the boss instead of a number. Will check sometime.

Sirq
06-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I know they reflect, but AFAIK, you will get an "immune" message back from the boss instead of a number. Will check sometime.

Never gotten immune, you mean the riftlords right?

Saturday
07-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I know they reflect, but AFAIK, you will get an "immune" message back from the boss instead of a number. Will check sometime. They do damage, trust me. Spell reflect a pyroblast and you will see the pyro debuff on them and they will take damage for it. Same goes for all the elite caster spells.

There seems to be a problem with the combat log where if you spell reflect and it coincides roughly with a white/yellow attack, there's a chance it isn't processed. But I have seen the numbers output into Mik's Scrolling Battle Text which fetches directly from the combat log so there you go :D

The large Amani Beserkers in ZA [Amani'shi Berserker - NPC - World of Warcraft] (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=24374) do a Thunderclap which can be spell-reflected and do damage back to them (2000+ per TC). Very fun stuff and possibly saved me once or twice :D [Kind of out of place considering the topic title but I had to include it!]

I sadly haven't got around to doing as much old world content as I've wanted to, to test it out on old world bosses.

It's a great spell and one of the reasons I enjoy warrior tanking when I do. I do find it funny though that whenever I actually have the rage for it, my dps finally chooses to actually interrupt whereas for the 3-7 seconds prior they always forget they have a kick or counterspell button :mad:

SNB
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Breaking a sap from a caster mob with your gun, having spell reflect ready..
There casting and you are standing at range...
You active SR and then... the mage decides to Counter spell :(.

I really like ranged tanking those warlocks in MgT, sometimes they kill them self or are almost dead :) before your dps starts working on them.

Kittygrinda
08-19-2008, 10:07 PM
dunno if this has been mentioned already (didn't read the whole thread) but using spell reflect on the 1 warlock 6 imp pull in H BF is awesome.

Step out, shoot the warlock, waiting a second, spell reflect and BOOM! 1 shadowbolt, 6 fireballs.

I seriously run that instance for that pull alone.

protonly
09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
In Mana Tombs SR is great on the last boss when he freezes you in place to get range on you. Great way to avoid damage and it just looks effin cool :)

Driggan
09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
So, I had a more detailed post, but my computer sucks.

Long story short, reflected dots don't add threat, as proved in a H Blood Furnace run a couple weeks ago. One nuke it pulled right off, despite the dot having done somewhere over a quarter of the mob's life. The mob in question was the warlock and the dot was corruption.

Not sure if this applies to every dot, but I wouldn't be surprised.

clavarnway
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
The bugs in Underbog that do the poison DoT...I reflect-tank them quite a bit and DPS has a hell of a time pulling aggro on them. So not sure which DoT's it works on.

Muffin Man
09-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Some more for SP.

If you pull the slavemaster and the slaves that do magic. You can reflect the initial volley. Which should keep aggro on you and off the healer long enough to kill the slavemaster. After which they despawn.

The first boss also has a nice slow casting Lightning Bolt which can be reflected (can't be interrupted, so no rogue/mage/shamans spoiling your fun)