PDA

View Full Version : Creating an Avoidance set-- Gems and Enchants

taro
04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Okay-- so my guild is starting Sunwell very soon, and I've decided to create a solid avoidance set. Should avoidance only come from the gear w/ stam gems and enchants? or should I actually gem/enchant avoidance? For enchants, ie) 12 defense rating vs. 12 stam to bracers, 15 defense rating vs. 150 hp to chest.

Also if I were to gem avoidance, how relevant are socket bonuses? ie) blue + red socket w/ 3 dodge socket bonus -- 10 dodge gemsx2 vs. 10 dodge gem + 4 dodge 6 stam gem (regal nightseye)

Thanks.

Aelvain
04-24-2008, 12:00 AM
If gemming for avoidance you might as well get socket bonuses. The defense enchants are the way to go, and when you gem for avoidance go for the socket bonuses. For your example I wouldn't downgrade to a rare quality gem for the blue socket, but still probably use a 15 stamina gem or a 5 def/7 stam or 5 agi/7 stam.

ebs2002
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I think one of the podcasts talked about gearing for avoidance, which was essentially gearing for socket bonuses. 12/15sta in blue, 8 dodge or 5agi7sta in red, and 8def or 4def6sta in yellow (8 dodge and 8def are better avoidance, but you may not have enough HP this way. You don't want to put a multicolor gem in blue or your HP will really be hurting).

For enchants, defense on chest and cloak, the rest of your enchants shouldn't really change (maybe agi or cat's swiftness to boots, etc, but most of these aren't worth the HP hit you take)

Indris
04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
15 def on chest and 12 def on bracers vs 150 health / 12 stam are much better trade offs than gemming dodge / defense vs stam; how far you can go with gemming for avoidance really depends on your gear as you probably don't want your health to drop too low; but generally, socket bonuses are imo the way to go - 10 dodge for reds, 10 def for yellow or if you're getting low on health, 5def7stam - although remember that point for point, 5def7stam are a tiny bit worse than 10 defense gems.

taro
04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
that helps a lot, thanks guys.

but what is "low hp" in your opinion? now i sit at about 17.8k hp and 23k-ish fully raid buffed in my EH set. In my avoidance set I'm building, I have 15.4k unbuffed... :(

ebs2002
04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
"low hp" entirely depends on the fight. The general rule of thumb is, figure out the max damage you'd take per round (with your armor), and multiply that by 3 or 4 or 5 (those numbers depend on how fast the boss hits, how many healers are on you, etc), and make sure you have at least that.

For Nightbane, the most damage I can take if I'm not crushed (which i shouldn't be) is about 3500 in a hit. I multiply that by 4 (he gets two hits at a time on occasion, times two rounds because he hits slow), and make sure that I'm above 14k hp with whatever buffs I have. Of course, your numbers will be higher.