PDA

View Full Version : Enchants and Gems?

Bodasafa
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok as far as I can see there are really 3 options for enchants when it comes to shields as a warrior tank.

1) +18 Stam
2) +18 SBV
3) Shield Spike

I am unbuffed around 15k and max raid buffed at a little over 20k w/commanding shout. Currently tanking early T5 instances and Mag.

I belive I am in the realm of ok for current bosses.

Heres my armory:The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&n=Bodasafa)

I was wondering if losing 180 hp is worth having that extra threat from the shield spike or the +18 SBV. If so which one and why?

Thoughts?

Im also wondering if I should make some adjustments in the gemming of my peices and how big of a differance that would make.

Basically Im allways looking to improve even if its small tweaks here and there and was looking for some outside prospective.

Im hoping to obtain the Shield from Gruul himself tonight (plz. drop:)) and picking up the new Chest from 2.4 badges and possibly the Gloves form 2.3 badges. Though I really am having a hard time finding a decint Glove upgrade.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
TY-Boda

ebs2002
04-24-2008, 10:29 AM
If your block chance is less than 27'ish percent when using a shield, use SBV for threat against single targets, and a shield spike for tanking multiple mobs. If your block chance is over 27%, use the shield spike for both circumstances.

Losing 180hp is definitely worth increasing your threat if you need more threat for a fight (ie, farm content, burn fights). The only reason I *wouldn't* do it is if it's progression content and wipe reasons are due to healer mana or me dying. Well, that, or if I only had one wearable shield.

Have more than one shield, and use them for different purposes. For me, I have the Sporeggar shield with a shield spike and use it in a 35% block rating set for AOE pulls. I have the nightbane shield with +18sta for progression fights. I have the SSO rep shield with +18SBV for single-target threat fights. I haven't bothered with getting a fourth shield for multi-mob tanking that requires a good shield (Sha'tar rep or Ogri'la, most likely), but that's my next step.

Haam
04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
It isn't 180 health, it is 180 * 1.05 * 1.1 = 207.9 because of talents and kings. The 18 SBV becomes 23.4 if you don't have meta, but if you have the meta then it is 25.2. That much health is better than 25.2 SBV unless it is specifically for a threat set or something.

Kamani
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
For your best shield always use 18 stam. Your primary goal as a tank is to survive. If you find yourself in a fight where you don't need that extra 18 stam but you do need threat then enchant an old shield with 18 BV and use it.