PDA

View Full Version : New Tank in need of Eval

weebob
04-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Hiya all,

Im a relativley new tank and would be really interested in some pointers on my gear. Im looking to start trying to tanks some heroics but to be honest Im a little worried my Gear is not up to the task and I will get people wiped.

Would it be possible for you guys to take a look and give me some useful tips please.

My armoury link is The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Weebob)

Thanks in advance
Weebob.

PS. great site :)

Squeegiemama
04-22-2008, 03:49 AM
It looks like you have a good start.

I would suggest following some of the gear guides posted on the site. Both Polar's pre-Kara and Berg's guide are great resources.

The easiest things for you to grab is the reputation items. Grind out Aldor rep for a new chest and Cenarion Expedition rep Strength of the Untamed. If you spend enough time doing SteamVault you'll end up with the Devilshark Cape.

It looks like you are getting into Kara now, so either wait for the belt off Moroes or do the questline to get the Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard

Dabiri's Enigma is an easy to get trinket to replace one of yours.

Stamina enchants on your gear (shield and legs) would increase your health pool, as well as Solid Star of Elune in your gem slots.

Thats my thoughts...I'm sure more opinions will follow.

weebob
04-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the advice Squeegiemam. Its really appeciated .

Yup, been to Kara once and Moroes boss wiped us several times. Its clear that Im not up to that task yet :(

Cheers,
Weebob

dlongest
04-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Squeegie gave you solid advice. I would throw in the following:

- Do PvP until you can buy the S1 gladiator's shield (or do arena til you can get the s2 one). I had almost exactly the same gear as you when I wanted to begin heroics. I got the shield as my first epic and it was definitely worth it. You will lose the +def, but the resilience keeps you still uncrittable. And the stam and armor on it is great for the time investment.
- Do the quest chain in Shadowmoon to get Grom'tor's Charge. This will replace the Kopesh and will last you as a tank weapon a good long time (til Sun Eater falls from heroic Mech, which took me about 60 runs, or King's Defender from Chess in Kara, or you decide to craft Blazefury using your Blacksmithing skills).
- You can get rings fairly easily. Some of the good ones include: Shadowmoon quest, Mech (normal or heroic), Arc (normal or heroic). Don't throw any of them out.
- Run Durn or BM until you're revered with KoT and you can buy the great tank head glyph. Also you would have the option to buy Timewarden's Leggings to replace Felsteel.
- Work on buying or having crafted the Khorium Destroyer. Top stamina weapon.

Soon as you get your HP over 12K, I think you'll start to breath a little easier.

Daniel

Dunmail
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Main ones are covered with CoT for the legs and enchanting them & your shield. The Ogrila Shield isn't bad and easy rep to get, and cheap (don't bother with the badge shield) if you don't pvp. New SSO rep is easy to get (exaulted will take awhile), even off the dailies and that would also provide a very nice neck & Shield.

Decent enchants will make a difference and many are quite cheap, and give you and your healers a buffer. Even a cheap leg patch will also provide a massive stam boost, either to what you have, or something like the CoT legs if/when you get it.

The axe is also a cracking weapon until you can snaffle a kings defender from chess. I'd also recommend farming heroic bot as thats 5 badges, pretty easy run if you can take the damage from boss 3 and with a decent group an easy hours work.

Ceravantes
04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
You are better off going for exalted SSO sheild/tanking weapon than S1/Gromtors, the quest belt mentioned above would be a great upgrade, I tanked Kara in its entirety in gear very similar to yours, only picking up Maidens gloves and Moroes's Belt and trinket before Tanking my first prince Kill.

weebob
04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Guys,

Many many thanks for all your help. Im gonna work hard and get the gear :) I was asked by a group last night to go to Heroic SL, again, we didnt have a good time. I really struggle with Multi Mobs :(

I'll get there thought

Thanks again
Weebob

drake
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
As far as multi tanking goes I find that popping bloodrage -> shield slam primary-> thunderclap -> demo -> devastate the other 2-3 once -> taunt the primary off the rogue/enhance shammie and go to town with your threat skills following kill order.

The key is to make sure everyone in your group knows the kill order and follows it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a pause before a difficult pull to explain what you want to happen, 15 seconds of typing is better than wiping.

Hope that helps.

weebob
04-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Drake, thanks for the tip, I think part of my problem is my positioning and targetting also.

I tab target but sometime lose where I am. Also, I find sometime I need to miss the TC as my party CC has already sheeped or Frost trapped the mob before I can. Also, the hunters seem to send in their pets as soon as I pull and it stops the mobs getting to where I want them ?

I think Im just a bad tank to be honest ? The group always seem to suggest that anyway :)

Dunmail
04-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Nah if you were bad you'd still be doing things your way and not actively looking for improvement.

Bad CC is mainly the DPS's fault, as it is irritating to have sheep underfoot (if you have warned on a pull). But you may need to react fast and haul the main mass of mobs out of the way to give yourself working space. If people start smacking stuff out of order, then if not inconvenient let them die, or let them take a few hits while you get organised, end of the day that is what the kill order is for and they are stealing potential rage.

It also helps to know some of the class mechanics of others, as this will improve expectations and awareness in this area. If you know sheep has a cast time of say 6 seconds and you have pulled and started hitting mobs in 3 seconds, you should know you will have a sheep inbound. So you can either fire an immediate tc then back the mobs away as the sheep lands (in theory), or keep dragging the mobs and let the sheep peel off.

Sheeps can be reapplied so it isn't perhaps the best example, but use of timers and LOS pulls and just familiarity with the runs will make it easier. I found it an area I had to work on (and probably still do) and also why I'm breaking myself out of the clicking habit. I'd also rather have mobs hitting me than running around after dps/healers and I get more rage. Once I got above 14k hps & armour I found this alot easier (and healer stopped crying) as the mitigation made it viable to do.

Bollock the hunter then, you need to say what you want from them, and whether you want a sec or so for positioning. It will be their pet that dies if they jump things and increase their cost per run in pet food. I use a mark/pet attack macro on my hunter, but I tend to wait a sec or so for the tank to gather the mobs. If one did peel off then I may send the pet after it to buy time until collected by tank if trap was in use elsewhere. Does kind of work both ways hence mentioning other class mechanics.

weebob
04-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Dumail,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and the advice , it really helps. going through a wee bit of a confidence crisis at the moment.

Another quick question, if thats ok,. If a cc breaks, should I be going anywhere near it again or leave it to the assigned CC'er to get it back under control. I realise a SAP cant be reapplied in Combats so those I should grab.

At the moment, what i seem to be doing is if a frost trap comes undone, I try and gather it up again, but just as I grab the aggro with a hit, another frost trap goes up and I break it ? Is this something I should really be agreeing with the group before we start ?

Hope you dont mind all the questions, please let me know if Im hogging things here.

Many thanks
Weebob

Dreg
04-24-2008, 03:32 AM
for CC it really depends... its really nice to have the aggro of a sheeped mob go strait to the tank, frost trap i would not try and pickup till its time to kill it or possibly when its next to be killed ....

you'll get the hang of it tanking is easy once you get the hang of it, its really a battle of gear

weebob
05-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Hiya again guys,

Sorry to trouble you again but i was wondering if you could take another quick look at my gear. I think I have made a little progression. SSO Rep Shield, Blade and Neck. Im also just need a run through mech ot get the better belt also.

One thing that does seem to have changed for the worst is that since getting my SHield and Neck peice from the SS rep, I have needed to change back to the wind traders band to get my +def back up to 490?

Im still gathering the mats for the gyro rifle. Man, that does take time to farm the mats even with my DPS set on. Admittiedly, my DPS set aint the best going.

Anyway, hope you dont mind me asking again if Im going in the right direction

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eonar&n=Weebob)

Cheers,
Weebob