PDA

View Full Version : First Experiences in Black Temple

Clifford
04-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Finally the Black Temple! A dream come true.

I thought that I had organised the raid to perfection (based on Bosskiller group setups and advice from a number of people). However, before the raid I had a lot of cancellations. One person had his car stolen, another was going on a date with 3 (!?) women etc etc. So in the end the raid looked quite different as I ended up taking 8 melee (4 rogues, 1 shaman and 3 warriors). I was expecting trouble.

High Warlord Naj'entus
I was worried about the close proximity of that many melee to me but it went fine, perhaps even easier due to the higher health of melee vs cloth ranged dps.

Wiped at 50% due to an overly enthusiastic raid member shattering his shield before the raid was healed. Second pull - dead.

Supremus
After an exceptionally long trash clear (wasn't sure what to clear in the training grounds so we cleared everything) we faced Supremus.

It was quite hectic as people learnt to kite him in phase 2 and we also had some unusual deaths in phase 1 with melee being one-shotted. In the end there were only 9 of us alive whilst I chased him around spamming "execute". I think we got him down with about 40 seconds left on his enrage.

Shade of Akama
By this stage people were getting tired and we had two wipes on the trash leading to the Shade of Akama. Once when a demon hunter mob backed up into another pack of adds (damn hunters!) and once when someone body-pulled a trash pack by accident.

We wiped twice whilst learning to handle the adds that stream through the left and right doors and in the end I added an extra dps to the add teams, which did the trick. He went down on the third pull.

Here I think the high number of melee worked well for us as I put all of them onto Channeller duty.

Summary
What a great instance! I love how you work your way through a crack in a wall of the Temple; up through the sewers to the training grounds; before actually entering the Temple. It has been a long time since I enjoyed exploring an instance like this, probably not since my first experiences in Karazhan.

After the disappointment of SSC and TK that felt no different to their 5 man equivalents this and Mount Hyjal are the real deal. Well done Blizzard!

Lobo
04-21-2008, 06:13 AM
It really just gets more fun from there.

Seems like you got Nej down. He's a joker if everyone knows what to do. Bring a frost cauldron and people can pop that pop right before a bubble to save the healers some mana.

Supremus is free loot. His hitbox is really, really big so people can get one shotted from his hateful strikes from a mile away if they aren't careful. Make sure healers know to keep the OT (or OTs) at full health at all times, otherwise he'll target someone else and kill them.

Shade shouldn't even be a boss. Sounds like you got him down, he'll only get easier. Frost traps, earthbind totems and prot pallies at the door and it's all win.

The next few bosses are really going to test you though. Gorefiend, Bloodboil and RoS are probably by three favorite boss fights.

There's a flash game floating around the internet that shows you how to play as a ghost in the Gorefiend fight. I would recommend finding that and having people practice. Also, have people MAKE SURE their UI will show a possessed bar. A lot of custom UIs don't show them and you end up with a ghost that can't see his abilities and a wipe. Your raid DPS needs to be really, really solid. I would recommend a bloodlust rotation on your melee group to maximize their damage.

Bloodboil takes great raid communication and healing. Have people practice running to an area and out of an area when you tell them (I'm kidding...but seriously make sure they know how to move). It also takes pin-point threat management from the tanks so they aren't overdoing it with his acid wounds. Rotate threat between three tanks.

RoS is great fun. Just rotate tanks as their health drops and rogues for the enrages. Phase 2 make sure you reflect the deadens. Fel puppies are great for instant removal of the Runeshield. I also try and time my shield slam for it, and knock it off. Phase 3, I'd recommend a prot pally. They are great on that phase.

Good luck! Sounds like you're on your way to Illybeans.

Clifford
04-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks.

The frost resistance potions will no doubt help as I truly felt sorry for the healer on Naj'entus. I posted the link to the Ghost Simulator on the guild forums ... now to make sure people test it out.

Personally I can't wait for Bloodboil. He looks like a real "tanking encounter"

Nez
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Fun HUH? =] Its really fun going through a new place and learning the fights. My favs are RoS, Mother Shazz trash, One-shot robots, Council and Ill'face himself.
:)

veneretio
04-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm still just really surprised how easy the trash in BT is. TK's was a whole lot harder imo.

Clifford
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm still just really surprised how easy the trash in BT is. TK's was a whole lot harder imo.
Very true (so far).

They trash looks exceptionally intimidating but aren't difficult to handle. For example I was really concerned when facing the room full of aqueous spawns leading to the training groups but it all worked out well. The trash after Supremus also looks horrendous until you realise that the packs aren't agro-linked :cool:

clavarnway
04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
We accidently pulled multiple groups of mobs in BT, wasn't sure we would do ok, but came out with a win :) In TK if you pull 2 groups it usually means you are dead unless you have like 10 mages.

Worldie
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
So you are 3/9 heh.

Soon you will understand why some guilds put as requirements "being a good Ghostbuster" then.

Hypatia
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm still bitter that there's no non-raid encounter where you have a chance to practice ghost skills. For people like me who are die-hard melee players, it's easy to remain uncertain about your ability to deal with the situation until you've experienced it.

(Then again, the most mind-boggling failure I've ever seen was... a frost mage.)

Minirage
04-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Just wanted to comment about what you say about the "exceptionally long trash clear".

After Naj, everything past [up to unlocking the door] is pretty nonissue. All that trash to supremus, bloodboil, teron...is nearly doable wihout even marking. As long as you have a skull on something you can pretty much just send 3 tanks in there going crazy and win.

Heh, the other night I turned on BT music for my first time I was shocked :)

But yeah I agree ssc, and to a lesser degree tk, made me feel like I was back in MC. BT is def an awsome design, but I kinda miss the trippy-ness of aq40 and naxx (which I have not finished yet qq me).

Clifford
04-28-2008, 01:26 AM
So you are 3/9 heh.

Soon you will understand why some guilds put as requirements "being a good Ghostbuster" then.
Went to BT for a second time last night, managing to one-shot our way to Teron Gorefiend.

The trash to Gorefiend looks horrendous but is easy to manage and then the fight itself. Many people were "not prepared" - despite asking people to play the ghost simulator. Four tries - four wipes :eek: The boss himself is easy enough, although he hits quick and hard. People not killing their ghosts is .... frustrating.

Next time he will die but it is MH for me next week as I would like to clear that place.

Worldie
04-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Only way to get gorefiend done is practice... and possibly not bringing people who cannot kill their ghosts (altho they are SO easy that i don't understand how can you possibly fail on it).

The simulator is relatively great, altho i menaged ghosts at first attempt, and nowadays don't even allow em to get downstairs, while i menaged only recently to clear the flash game.

This said... there's no way around, keep wiping until everyone will have understood it. We still menage to wipe there after like... 6 months? /facepalm

It's indeed a crap that there's no way at all to practice ghosts outside than the encounter itself. We still have raiders that never ever got ghosts, so they might possibly wipe us if they fail on their first attempt.

Things will be better after Teron however. He's also a good encounter to practice your threat generation, since as tank you have to care of exactly nothing other than holding aggro.

And yes, the music in BT is wonderful. I'd say the only place with cooler music is probably Naxxramas.

Clifford
04-28-2008, 07:57 AM
He was going down so quickly before we were overrun at 35%. I did notice once that I was double crushed for 2x9.5k *ouch*. Looking through the logs I blocked several attacks before that so either he ate through my shield or I failed to get block up again.

Clifford
05-12-2008, 04:46 AM
We got him down on our second time we went there. I had everyone practice using the ghost simulator, which is the best you can hope for outside of the instance.

Some people were really good and were able to help out others that were struggling to kill their ghosts.