PDA

View Full Version : Shield enchants

Mornak
04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I have three shields I currently carry in my bags. I have the Bulwark of Amani Empire from ZA, which is my main tanking shield, the Dawnforged Defender which I just picked up, and still the Shield of Impenetrable Darkness from Kara. I have +18 stam on all three right now, but want to mix it up a bit. I'll keep +18 stam on the ZA shield, but wonder about using a Felsteel Spike or +18 SBV/Tough Shield enchant. I'm looking at the Dawnforged Defender as the next in line, and plan to use it as a threat shield and for trash mobs. Would it be better putting the Felsteel Spike or the +18 SBV enchant on it to use it as a threat piece?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kilrogg&n=Mornak

Armstrong
04-20-2008, 11:42 AM
A shield spike will generate more threat than +18 SBV in situations where you already have aggro and are blocking most attacks that you aren't avoiding altogether. This is the case the majority of the time.

+18 SBV is the enchant you want on a shield you use when you need to build threat but are not being hit / don't have aggro. This is most "secondary threat" off-tanking scenarios, such as Moroes, Gruul and Void Reaver. A shield with Hit Rating is probably your best choice for this particular application. The extra SBV is also nice if you grind or PvP with a shield.

Mornak
04-20-2008, 01:11 PM
So maybe the +18 SBV on the Dawnforged Defender and Felsteel Spike on the Shield of Impenetrable Darkness?

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
04-22-2008, 01:54 AM
I have exactly the same shields. I put a Felsteel Spike on the Dawnforged, it is awesome. My multi-mob aggro has dramatically increased. I use it with my trash mob set, with few advoidance and high block rating, the result is surprising. (although the damage range seems ridiculous at a glance)

As Armstrong said, for Offtanking situations, 18SBV is better since you won't block anything if you don't have aggro :p

Mornak
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Well I ended up putting the shield spike on the Nightbane shield and put +18 SBV on the SSO rep shield. Hopefully it works out. ;)

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
04-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Why not, but this doesn't seem coherent to me. (it depends on your template stuff etc, no offense)

Nightbane Shield is roughly the same than the SSO gear but:

Nightbane Shield has defense and no hit, it's rather a defense shield
SSO has no defense but has hit, so it's rather an aggro shield

So that's why I have put the Spike on SSO Shield(hit+spike=better aggro than def+spike)
On the other hand, Nightbane SHield with its defense is a good protection shield, so I run with a 18sta on it.

What about this?

ebs2002
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
There was another thread where we did the math, and the rule was:

If you have 3/3 shield mastery, the 10% metagem, 9% hit, and 6% crit, you need physically block an attack every 7.25seconds for them to be equal. If you block one in 8secs, the +18sbv is better. If you block one every 7secs, the spike is better.

This means that you need to factor in the mob's hit rate and your block chance. If you assume the average boss hits once every two seconds, you would need more than 27.6% block chance to make the threat better. A higher crit chance decreases the time you'd need to block by a small amount. A lower hit chance increases the time you'd need to block by a fair amount. If you are tanking more than one mob at a time, the shield spike is undoubtedly better.

As to the original question, Nightbane shield gives a higher block chance, and would probably best be used when tanking multiple mobs at once. I'd put a shield spike on that.

SSO Shield has more hit and is great for single-target threat generation. I'd put 18sbv on that.

ZA shield is your main EH tanking shield; keep the 18sta.

loquatious
04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I put a shield spike on my blue sporregar shield - I figure the proc + shield spike makes it better for group aggro.

Peegee
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I put a shield spike on my blue sporregar shield - I figure the proc + shield spike makes it better for group aggro.

Yes but as a weak(er) shield at level 70 it's better for solo aoe farming.

ebs2002
04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I use mine in H. MrT to hold threat. It breaks, but until it does I hold great threat. I haven't been to Kara since I did it, but I want to try it on the ballroom, and on the dragonhawk boss in ZA. I'll be depressed if it breaks too soon :(

Mornak
04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
As to the original question, Nightbane shield gives a higher block chance, and would probably best be used when tanking multiple mobs at once. I'd put a shield spike on that.

SSO Shield has more hit and is great for single-target threat generation. I'd put 18sbv on that.

ZA shield is your main EH tanking shield; keep the 18sta.

Good. This is exactly what I did. I also have the Sporeggar Petrified Lichen Guard with a Felsteel Spike that I use too.

Anglachel
04-25-2008, 08:51 AM

i did the exact same thing. After al, anytime you are tanking 3+ mobs, it's likely that they are soft hitters, and the lower mitigation on the sporegar shield means you will have A LOT of rage to use on TC and cleave...