PDA

View Full Version : Tank shoulders - T5 vs Pauldrons of Stone Resolve

Mornak
04-18-2008, 09:48 AM
I continue to pass on T5 shoulders so druids and priests can get them. I have to wonder at what point I should finally roll "Need" on them and look at using them over my ZA shoulders. It's possible that I could get other T5 pieces and get a set bonus. Are these two comparable enough or should I look at getting them soon for my warrior?

Thanks -

Kazeyonoma
04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd say they are pretty comparable, as stated by veneretio, the real shining star of it is if you grab the 2 set bonus. 100sbv free is pretty sexy.

veneretio
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
100sbv free is pretty sexy.
:)

Nuberino
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
you are trading block rating for more armor, stam, threat and avoidance.

I think it is actually a pretty decent upgrade. Not to mention the T5 set bonus.

Crimsonstorm
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah theyre about even, except for the set bonus. The set bonus is great, so it depends on your gear plan and what T5 you want to be wearing in the end.

IN generaly though your plan of letting others get T5 in this case is probably good, at least for the first few drops.

Kahmal
04-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I currently have the ZA shoulders also but I do plan on passing on the ones from VR a couple times. The Tier 5 shoulders are better no doubt and if there is the set bonus involved there should be no question about it.

mcfuzz
04-19-2008, 04:02 AM
whats the difference?
Za shoulders have block rating as opposed to stats.

block rating is essentially useless unless you are going for uncrushability. I use the ZA shoulders for unrushability in conjunction with t6 over t5 which i also have. without uncrushability, the only returns you will see from block rating are after 2 shield block charges have been eaten, you then have a chance to avoid/mitigate a hit to prevent the crushing. while it is true block rating is a cheap stat in that you recieve high block percents from little block rating, you will see no benefit from it whatsoever unless you are in that situation where youre 2 block charges are eaten up and there is time left on your sheild block cooldown. this makes it less valuable as a stat than other avoidance stats.

the 13 agility on tier 5 is ~.4 dodge. this dodge chance, (while 10 times less than the ~4 percent chance to block you would get from the block rating on Za), is preventative. if you dodge an attack early in youre 5 second cooldown, you save those charges for later attacks. you want to be somewhere with your hard avoidance that you do not have to rely on avoidance+block after already having had your shield charges removed.

this is a case of planning for the best or the worst, and forcing either outcome. I recommend planning for the best with T5. especially since it offers almost 100 more armor(dodge included) and better threat. when you factor in the set bonuses, its a hands down victory.

only use za shoulders, or block rating for that matter, for crush immunity.