PDA

View Full Version : Theorycraft this.

Krakbak
04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I understand that a lot of tanks like to have The Sun Eater (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29362) around as a avoidance weapon and use it in that sense, even in upper tier raids.

My question, and its basically math based (and since I suck at it) how does Blazefury (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28427) rate against it?

I finally made one and just haven't gotten Mongoose put on it yet. Not to mention I have yet to see the damn sun eater drop. Should I continue pushing for it, or just use Blazefury in its stead? Im wondering if the agility makes up for the loss of dodge rating. It does boost armor, although marginally and thats mitigation not avoidance.

Thoughts?

FYI, I have a King's Defender as my main tanking weapon right now.

Aughban
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I understand that a lot of tanks like to have The Sun Eater (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29362) around as a avoidance weapon and use it in that sense, even in upper tier raids.

My question, and its basically math based (and since I suck at it) how does Blazefury (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28427) rate against it?

I finally made one and just haven't gotten Mongoose put on it yet. Not to mention I have yet to see the damn sun eater drop. Should I continue pushing for it, or just use Blazefury in its stead? Im wondering if the agility makes up for the loss of dodge rating. It does boost armor, although marginally and thats mitigation not avoidance.

Thoughts?

FYI, I have a King's Defender as my main tanking weapon right now.

I'm not gonna run the math because im doing MH trash atm but we ave a prot paladin so i don't need 2 do much tbh. Anyway Blazefury is defiantly a weapon of choice i've personally never used the suneater as an avoidance weapon because i have a good avoidance set, i slapped a weapon chain on it and use it on mobs that disarm. Then again like everything in tanking you can use different sets for different encounters, if you get the suneater (which you should because mech is an easy set of badges if done properly) then go ahead get it enchanted with mongoose and use it as a mitigation weapon. I would get executioner on the blazeguard as its great for TPS.

The point of wat im saying is that your quest has the flaw that your looking for one better weapon, get both enchant them for different purposes and add them to your different sets of gear.

Radhja
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
KD = EH

BF = threat

SE = Avoidance

Discuss.

duvar
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I think SE has very limited utility in any situation once you get a King's Defender. The reason is that there are almost no fights in the game where you actually need to care too much about much mitigation/avoidance until you get into Hyjal and beyond, and by that time you'll have a superior mitigation weapon than Sun Eater anyway. I can't think of a fight in SSC, TK, or even Gruul's lair where you really just need avoidance. Use KD for everything until you get Mallet of the Tides, then use Mallet of the Tides for everything until you get Unbreakable Will or Cleaver of the Unforgiving. Then you'll be in a position where you might be doing fights that actually benefit from having a high avoidance weapon. Just my thoughts.

Trual
04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
To answer the question:

Blazefury brings 6 sta, 14 dps, 28 AC, 1.14% hit and ~.6% crit to the table and gives up ~.3% dodge.

The correct answer should become apparent at this point :)

Mallet and/or Cleaver (depending on race) are better than Blazefury though, so I'd definitely switch to one of those asap.

Crimsonstorm
04-16-2008, 12:34 PM
You should shard or vendor that Sun Eater. Blazefury is so much better. So is Kings Defender, Mallet of the Tides, the ZA tank Axe, or a lot of other stuff.

Krakbak
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay, cool. Then I guess only a small part of me will die when I let a rogue take it for fun over me. I just got Blazefure enchanted with Executioner to use for a threat set or for fun phases, like curators evocation phase. :)

Id love to get the Mallet or ZA tank axe but we are a uber casual guild and Kara is all I do really. Small forays into ZA. Never stepped foot in SSC, Hyjal, BT, etc. Im just waiting for that last 4% so I can get a new chest from badges.

dres
04-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Assuming you're a protection warrior:

30 Agility = 1% Dodge
2.4 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill
1 Defense Skill = .04% chance to be Missed by enemy of same level
1 Defense Skill = .04% chance to Dodge
1 Defense Skill = .04% chance to Parry
18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Dodge

Blazefury = 19 Agility = .633 Dodge

Suneater = 13 Defense Rating + 19 Dodge Rating = 5.4 Defense Skill + 19 Dodge Rating = .216 chance to be missed + .216 chance to dodge + .216 chance to parry + 1 Dodge = 1.65 Avoidance

so avoidance alone, you're looking at .633 from Blazefury in comparison to Suneater's 1.65

Splug
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM
If you're absolutely hellbent on maximizing your avoidance for a fight in which threat and health are both meaningless, then yes, the sun eater is better: you get 1% more avoidance for 6 stamina. But you lose ~15 weapon dps, which is a very sizable threat contribution, not to mention the hit and crit. I would not bother with a sun eater once you have blazefury; you sacrifice so much threat that its use is extremely situational, and the survivability gained is fairly low.

-Splug

veneretio
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Blazefury 99% of the time. Sun Eater for like High King... and... ya.