PDA

View Full Version : TPS/DPS Comparison Charts

Lore
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
This is the culmination of the math frenzy in Shoutbox earlier. Big thanks to the guys who helped me out with the percentages; I am bad at math.

I got to thinking about aggro and specifically threat ceilings, so I thought I'd whip up a couple charts to help figure out how much DPS your threat per second is allowing. The thing about threat ceilings is each class has different threat modifiers, so there's no easy comparison; hence, the chart.

A few disclaimers, first.

1. These do not take aggro reduction abilities (such as Feign Death, Soulshatter, Feint, etc) into account. The numbers given are raw. This also means Shadow Priests are pretty inaccurate, since their AOE healing and mana return cause quite a bit of threat, which varies depending on a lot of different circumstances.

2. This also doesn't account for burst damage. Crit strings can easily cause someone to exceed their normal DPS for a moment or two, and if they're close to pulling aggro and threat does not increase to compensate, they will pull. This chart simply shows averages.

3. Modifiers are rounded to the nearest hundredth. This means there's a very slight margin of error. It's not big enough to worry about in any practical sense.

4. If you choose to include the range modifier (which you can leave out of the equation), the numbers returned will show at what point, all things being average, you will lose aggro. Due to #2, DPS'ers should never be doing that much DPS. Good DPS can exceed 100% of tank threat on most encounters as long as they're careful, but don't expect them to match the threat ceiling.

Alright, here's chart #1:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/devomorph/chart-tankvsdps.gif

This chart answers the question "How much DPS am I allowing my DPS'ers to do?" So, for example, if you average around 1200 TPS, you are allowing your Warlocks to do 1200 x 1.59 = 1908 DPS without passing you on the threat meter (as long as he has Salv). They will pull aggro at 1908 x 1.3 = ~2480 DPS. Anywhere between 1908 and 2480 they will be sitting above you on the threat meter, but not pull aggro.

(This also illustrates how skilled DPS'ers can pass the tank on threat meter without pulling aggro, and net a fair portion more DPS in the process)

Here's chart #2:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/devomorph/chart-dpsvstank.gif

This chart goes the opposite direction and answers "How much threat do I need to cause to keep aggro off my DPS?" So if you've got a Warlock capable of pushing out, lets say 2400 DPS, you would need to put out 2400 x 0.63 = 1512 TPS to keep him at #2 on the threat meter. You will lose aggro at 1512 ÷ 1.3 = 1163 TPS. As long as you're generating somewhere between 1163 and 1512 TPS, he will be above you on threat meter but you will hold aggro.

Keep in mind once again that this does NOT include threat reduction abilities, nor does it account for threat leads. If said Warlock gave you 10 seconds to build threat and then soulshattered the second he passed you, he would be able to do a significantly larger amount of damage before catching up with you.

Rak
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
So if you've got a Warlock capable of pushing out, lets say 2400 DPS, you would need to put out 2400 x 0.63 = 1512 TPS to keep him at #2 on the threat meter. You will lose aggro at 1512 ÷ 1.3 = 1163 TPS.
Looks like you messed up some numbers here. Should probably be 1512*1.3 = 1966 for when you lose aggro.

Lore
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Looks like you messed up some numbers here. Should probably be 1512*1.3 = 1966 for when you lose aggro.

I would not lose aggro by generating more threat ;)

the 1512 is the threat you're generating to keep aggro off of a 2400 DPS warlock. You will lose aggro by reducing that number.

Rak
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh, ok. Range thing. All the shoutbox talk with strictly no range modifiers allowed had my brain totally excluding that.

Lore
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah at that point I was just trying to figure out the modifiers without range, and adding range was just confusing me :P

dres
04-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I like these charts a lot. My guild regularly posts WWS reports of our raids so I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I can quickly see where my raid's DPS is at, my only problem is being to positively identify what my generated threat is, or what my TPS is.

Is there a way for me to definitively find out what my average TPS is without having to glance back and forth from my Omen meters? Or be able to view what my total "Threat Generated" was? The WWS pages have tabs for DPS and Healing, I'd like to see a TPS chart so I can gauge whether I'm holding back my guild's DPS or if I'm far enough ahead to perhaps gear a little differently. Or maybe there's some option in Omen I'm not aware of? How do other warriors know, with certainty, how much their TPS is and how much total threat they generate in any given encounter?

Taelas
04-15-2008, 04:08 AM
You can turn a WWS report into your sustained TPS.

Canadianpimp
05-18-2008, 04:47 PM
tagging this since I couldn't find it earlier. Thanks Lore.