PDA

View Full Version : Leet Prot DPS!

Crimsonstorm
04-11-2008, 10:54 PM
So you're doing gorefiend, or whatever other one tank boss, and youre not the tank. You dont have to be a feral druid to still do good dps! You just need good gear, focused on heavy Str (for vitality), Armor Penetration (I had 1001 + executioner), 9% hit for the cap on specials, and a 12/5/44 spec for 9 rage heroics and 9 rage executes for your dps.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/ppfg2r5e6hmtc?s=16455-16621&m)

1327 dps on gorefiend as prot, without consumables or flask.
1264 and 1191 on the other two attempts where I didnt use a recklessness.

Your rage cost is much lower than with fury so you can use even more heroic strikes, and heroic is cheaper as well. In 3 attempts I did 104 heroic strikes, out of 127 MH swings. Prot dps is especially good in these situations with some splash damage where it lets you heroic strike even more, heroic strike is key!!

So get that fury gear. You can do dps as prot when you arent tanking, just like a Feral druid can!

Nuberino
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't suppose you have a list of the gear/crit/ap at the time? I haven't ever had the chance to really be just dps on a good fight to see where my fury gear actually measures up as prot dps -- would be interesting to see if I could pass my slacker dpsers :D I plan on respecing to a similar threat spec soon, just haven't gotten around to it.

Crimsonstorm
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Gear was:
S3 helm with 3% crit dmg metagem
Choker of Serrated Blades*
Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate
Dory's Embrace
S3 Chest
Bladespire Warbands*
Gauntlets of Martial Perfection*
Red Belt of Battle
S3 Legs
Warboots of Obliteration*
Angelista's Revenge
S3 Ring
Shard of Contempt
Bloodlust Brooch
Dragonstrike w/Executioner
Talon of Azshara*
Ancient Amani Longbow*

All correct enchants. All rare gems or gems from heroics or quests (Nightbane quest, MrT Kael quest).
* = Raid drop. (Of which two are T4 level and 3 are T5 level. Only Choker is from Hyjal/BT and its dropped liek 5 times for us already). Most of the gear is PvP or badges or crafted.

I had about 2k base AP unbuffed, (counting Vitality talent), about 28% crit unbuffed in Zerker, about 100 hit rating, 1001 armor penetration plus executioner, 0 haste except for Dragonstrike proc. Only consumable was Str food, no pots or flask or sharpening stones. Had a non-enhance shaman and feral druid in grp.

Got about 1k dps on Najentus last night (he is much worse for dps and the rage doesnt flow like it does on gorefiend), also using only food as a buff, and in a similar group (just feral and non-enhance shammy).

Amount of heroic strikes you get to use is a huge factor in your dps (just as with fury). So is boss armor.

ebs2002
04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
While I don't have gear like that, I had a hunch that Heroic Striking more would be better for me, I just didn't realize it would be this much. I'm going to have to redo my keybindings for prot dps so I can HS easier.

It all makes perfect sense to me, too, since my white damage is severely gimped with only 9% +hit. Heroic Strikes would never miss!

Leeroi
04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Thank you, Crimsonstorm!

I was just searching the site for what I can/should do when I am soloing at a Prot. Warrior. Your post gives me hope, even though at lvl 65 I obviously have nothing like your gear. If you don't mind, please help me max DPS for when I am not tanking. I love to tank, but some times to level, you have to go out at smack some things around rather than just piss them off....

(1) Gear. You state go (1) Strength, (2) Armor Penetration, and (3) 9% hit cap. Any more advice on which ones first, what level to hit first before looking for others, etc.? I am looking for advice along the lines of "Get 490 Def before you do anything if you want to tank Kara, then get more +Hit".

(2) Tactics. While farming for firewing signets, I was fighting a lot of pretty consistent mobs so I started focusing on what put them down the fastest and /or what killed them with the least amount of damage to me - when I got it right I could go through 3 and even sometimes 4 mobs w/o having to heal/bandage/eat. I have a family and full time job, so I haven't done the math for the theorycraft, and just relied on a general sense of "gee, that went faster..." or "Hey, I have more health this time!" The jury is still out on Defensive board & sword. It was great on the casters and Spell Reflect did its job, but Battle/Berzerk seemed to get it done faster.

My tactics were, with dual wield weapons:
(a) (Battle Stance) Charge, Demoralizing Shout,
(b) (Berserker Stance), Berserker Rage, Bloodrage, and then
(c) spam Heroic Strike and Devastate.

If Victory Rush was up, I did that first after the charge.

Would it be better to hit Victory Rush after Berserker for the extra damage bonus? Nothing shows the timer on Victory Rush and I hate losing it because I was too slow finding the next mob, so I hit that as soon as I can.

Also, I found Thunderclap is great when there are more than 2 mobs, and can be good if there are 2 mobs, but is not worth the rage & cooldown timer for a single mob - is that correct?

And last silly question: I seem to see a lot of other warriors NOT charge in. They hit Bloodrage first, then run up to the mob and start swinging. That seems bizarre to me - why would you not get the stun, the instant rage, and use Bloodrage to get group agro? (I realize Bloodrage does not give you a lot of agro, but it does agro everything nearby, and every bit helps in those first few seconds if you healer jumps the gun). If you need to pull to avoid agroing more than you can handle, fine - I use my ranged weapon and Bloodrage when the mobs get close. But when you are attacking the mobs and there is no fear of pulling others from nearby, why would you not use Charge? Are they stupid or am I missing something (of course, I couldn't be the stupid one...)?

Bottom line - how do I crank out max DPS while keeping my Prot. spec? I am trying (now...) to gather a better DPS set of gear to switch into when not tanking, but what am I looking for in order of priority (gear stats) and is there a "best" ability rotation or "smart things to do" that will help? I was surprised to realize how much DPS Devastate did for me - I always thought of that as a renewing Sunder Armor and never considered the damage it did as well....

Futeko in another thread on the same topic said:
"I've gathered some information about DPSing with a protection warrior, although I've found no "full" guide on the topic. Since this place is the best source of tanking knowledge I know, I'd like to hear your opinion about what I've gathered so far.

- Weapons : Two slow weapons ; preferably two of the same speed, if not then put the slowest in MH.
- Hit : At least 143 hit rating (+9%) in order not to miss any yellow attack
- Gemming/Enchant/Gear : +Str > +AP > +Crit ; Executioner on MH, Potency on OH
- DPS Cycle : Spam Devastate, use Heroic Strike if more than 20-30 rage, use Bloodrage whenever it is available, use but Execute when available.

Thank you in advance for your feedback "

Thanks in advance - and thanks for posting the 1K+ DPS results. It gives me hope.

Leeroi
"At least I'm not chicken!"

Galushi
04-18-2008, 04:24 PM
You state 100 hit rating for your dps gear, yet you need 142 hit to get the 9% hit minimum for specials not missing. You might even pull out more dps if you drop some of your ap or pen for hit to get to that minimum.

As far as people choosing heroic strikes over other attacks, for prot dps you should always be using your GCD first before using heroic strike. I believe the *best* rotation is 6 dev/1 ww, then dumping rage with heroic strike as necesary when rage gets high.

I'm also one of the 1k+ dps prot warriors, as i've sustained it on a couple of fights. I really enjoy dpsing as prot cause i can usually keep up with our other raiders which makes me feel I am worth my raid spot even when im not tanking, as a prot warrior.

My stats run around 1850ap, 147 hit, 34.9% zerker crit (yes i love crit as a dmg source and some extra rage being i have 'low' hit), 140 armor pen, and Claw of Molten Fury and Talon of Azshara

Crimsonstorm
04-21-2008, 02:34 PM
You state 100 hit rating for your dps gear, yet you need 142 hit to get the 9% hit minimum for specials not missing. You might even pull out more dps if you drop some of your ap or pen for hit to get to that minimum.

I actually had a Moonkin Druid in the raid for +3% hit from Imp Faerie Fire :p
So in that raid I only needed 95.

I'm currently at 115 hit rating now in my normal gear. Got a Dreadboots of the Legion now. Generally I make one item swap to something a bit worse but with hit, to increase hit rating, if I didnt have a moonkin druid. As fury or with the moonkin I dont need to.

As far as people choosing heroic strikes over other attacks, for prot dps you should always be using your GCD first before using heroic strike. I believe the *best* rotation is 6 dev/1 ww, then dumping rage with heroic strike as necesary when rage gets high.

You never use heroic strike over using a Devastate or WW. You use it only when you have enough rage to devastate and Heroic strike. I just use the heroic when over 50 rage or so. I just hit two buttons at a time, 2 is heroic and 3 is devastate, so I just hit both at once when I have enough rage, or only 3 if I dont have enough.

byechee
04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
beating others on a fair fight while dps-ing as prot is a good way to weed out bad players.

Crimsonstorm
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
@Leeroi:

Gear: At low gear levels you really need to boost AP most of all (Str is 2.2 AP with Vitality, 2.42 with Vitality and Kings). Str/AP is the thing to stack at low gear levels, preferably well itemized pieces with Str/Crit/Hit or AP/Crit/Hit. (If they have only a couple stats they pay more per stat so you get less dps overall).

For your hit rating, hit rating under 142 should be considered very good for you. Over that not as much. But at very low gear levels you probably wont reach that much hit. Just focus on the Str first, if you dont have much AP then nothing else matters all that much.

Tactics:

For grinding, I do: Stay in Battle Stance.
Charge, Spam Devastate. Use Overpower when it is up. Heroic Strike if lots of rage. Use victory rush after several devastates are up, but before you lose the chance for it. (Definitely dont let it expire). I use Natur enemy cast bars to see how long I have on victory rush.
If you get an +AP proc off some item, or something like that, definitely use Victory rush before it goes away.

I stay in battle stance because it saves rage, which means more heroics.

I dont use Tclap or Demo Shout because mobs die way too fast. If the fights take you a long time you could use them to save downtime, however it is extending the battle because you arent getting as many devastates up fast. imo you should only use Tclap or Demo shout if you happen to pull more than one mob at a time.

I never charge in while tanking because there is no need.
What are you going to do with the charge rage? Hit something with a threat attack in battle stance with a .8 threat multiplier instead of 1.49? Switch to defensive and go down to 10 rage, and not be able to SS yet?

Charge -> Defensive Stance -> Bloodrage -> Shield Slam is much slower than
Bloodrage -> Pull -> Shield Slam

Plus it doesnt get you much of anything, puts you in more danger, and means that you are fighting mobs in an area that might be relatively close to others, instead of safely pulling them all the way back to the group.

Voltaik
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Please please

Pull -> Bloodrage -> Shield Slam

Bloodrage generates threat on all engaged targets! Please use after the pull for extra threat on everyone.

Crimsonstorm
04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
1379 dps as prot on Archimonde kill:
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/fcvcyhcgkxzlw?s=1251-1638)

Finally had an enhance shaman :)

(Then had to go tank on BT trash & Council so my dps for the rest of the WWS sucks) :P
Nothing hurts your damage more than being on Lady Malande, lol. She's immune for like, the whole fight.

Galushi
05-01-2008, 04:00 AM
As i posted in my blog, 1248 dps is my new record so far, not counting gimmick fights. (this one was on anetheron)

mictavis
05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
900+ DPS in 25 mans with 12/5/44 spec without windfury. I WW everycooldown, spam devastate, and heroic strike when enough rage is there

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drenden&n=Mictavis)

MasterWolf
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
AP? Weapons? Some more info for those who are trying to duplicate would be nice :)

Kavtor
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Kavtor - WWS (http://wowwebstats.com/tnf666sqiynd3?s=6134-6330&a=3#summary)

Got to DPS Terron for the first time. Bad idea.
1556 DPS. Should have gotten salv. Tank ran our of rage when Terron turned to me, and then he got double crushed.

Can't wait to try it again though. Mostly S3 PVP and badge gear.

Graul
05-23-2008, 05:04 AM
1869 Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/6j1kpxb1wj35a?s=5572-5785)

Crimsonstorm
05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
1532 DPS on gorefiend as Prot. :)

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/xsqmkpaiiivr3?s=8393-8660)

Crimsonstorm
05-24-2008, 02:56 PM
1869 Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/6j1kpxb1wj35a?s=5572-5785)

OMG! Beasted. 1800+ as prot!

Kazeyonoma
05-24-2008, 05:12 PM
that's sick.

Graul
05-25-2008, 09:05 AM
If you compare the two, Crimson essentially did the same overall. It's just a gear, buff and healer issue. We had the same placement and the same contribution from Devastate. His kill time took a minute longer and the overall raid DPS was lower. I'm not sure if they had some new healers or they normally run BT with that many, but 7 is what we use since it's on farm, most use 8 before that, but 10 just seems like major overkill.

Crimsonstorm
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
We dont normally run with that many healers, it was kindof a wierd night.

Also: 1731 dps as Prot woo!!
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/f6oghtk1zvass?m&s=12972-13205)

THis time with enhance shammy. :) Freaking huge difference.

Urhan
05-30-2008, 03:16 AM
1350 on Gorefiend tonight with my still-working-on-it dps set: WWS (http://wowwebstats.com/uqgy3sxxzsk1e?s=3400-3638)

(didn't get salv and the threat-capping screwed with my rotation a bit, and then pulled aggro at the end with execute spam, whoops :o)

I think I may have pushed my crit up a little too high at the expense of other stuff. I was working on the theory that the bonus rage from crits could be converted into more HS's, but completely forgot about the vitality bonus to strength. Going to gem for +str the rest of the way and hope I haven't unbalanced things too much.

MasterWolf
05-30-2008, 07:11 AM
So... how come no one is sharing their gear/stats and instead just try to brag? Is this a competition?

Kazeyonoma
05-30-2008, 09:00 AM
So... how come no one is sharing their gear/stats and instead just try to brag? Is this a competition?

well DUH.

no wws, but i broke 850dps against magtheridon as prot:

s3 helm, legs, chest, gloves, s2 shoulders
s3 neck, bracers, belt
dory's embrace
MH: Breeching Comet, OH: SpiteBlade, Range: Shuriken from SSC
MagT Kael's Leather Boots
Ring of 1k Marks, and s3 ring
Romulo's vial (i know i know, but i wanted to break 142 hit =( )
BM Trinket

MasterWolf
05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
well DUH.

Yes, but my point is this is a site where people come to learn and theorize, not listen to epeen stroking. We have WoW Forums for that...

Kaz: Were you in the melee group or just using your own buffs for the most part? Do you Devx5 --> WW --> Devx3 ?? What's the rotation?

Kazeyonoma
05-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I was in a melee group, enh shaman, bm hunter, feral druid, rogue, me.

I know Mwolf, but this isn't about trying to one up each other, it's more of just showing what we can do, to get a general idea of what we can put out as prot dps. Think of it as an alternative to the gorefiend threat parse thread.

And i would just mash ww whenever it hit up, and just smash the crap out of dev, and queue up heroic strikes whenever my rage was over 40.

Urhan
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM

WWS's are being posted, which should provide plenty of information for anyone who wants to dig further into what people are doing. The ones Graul and Crimson have put up has been very useful to me.

Anyhow, unbuffed and in zerker: 1900 AP, 165 hit, 32.2 crit, 6 expertise (i.e., just the talent bonus, that needs fixing, no luck getting the MgT one to drop.) Just over half of the gear is what I'd consider maxed pre-Sunwell stuff, the rest still needs work. Syphon of the Nathzerim (w/Exec) and the slow badge offhand (w/Mongoose) for weapons.

I didn't really start accumulating DPS stuff until we were nearly done with T5 content, so I'd be curious to see how much the prot dps increases are benefiting tanks in, say, Kara gear and below.

Crimsonstorm
05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Urhan those #s sound good,

I'm somewhere around (as prot)
1900-2000 AP unbuffed (no bshout)
136 hit
29% crit
17 expertise (MgT trinket + Defiance)
1036 Armor Penetration
~80 average passive haste (50-60ish from Dragonstrike, 23 from Badge OH).

What is your ArP? I find it a huge help to have it pretty high.

Cambras
06-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Working on my 3rd warrior currently, (have a 70 troll and 70 orc, this one is human).

Leveled up using the old cookie cutter DW fury level build, but then I started reading this thread and thought why not try out doing the prot dps build as I level.

Currently lvl 61 and I am noticing using Zerker stance, 6 devs, ww, heroic strike when rage is available, I'm fairly close dps wise to where I was with fury dw.

The rage is a bit lower, but the damage is there for sure.

The nice thing about leveling with this is that I can swap in tank gear and easily tank an instance, and then switch back to dps gear and continue my speedy soloing and questing.

I didn't really start accumulating DPS stuff until we were nearly done with T5 content, so I'd be curious to see how much the prot dps increases are benefiting tanks in, say, Kara gear and below.

As I near Kara levels I will try to keep this updated with my experiences, tho I can tell already that I think it will be quite competitive when played properly and with enough hit gear to offset dw's miss chance.

Crimsonstorm
06-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I wouldnt level as prot unless you are doing a lot of tanking while you level.

Fury is faster, and also has a lot less downtime (at least after level 40), because you regenerate life with bloodthirst.

Urhan
06-01-2008, 06:12 PM
What is your ArP? I find it a huge help to have it pretty high.

Only 112 ArP, 61 haste. We're almost to the point where T6 will be available to people for off-spec stuff, so I should be able to pile on some armor penetration on then.

The nice thing about leveling with this is that I can swap in tank gear and easily tank an instance, and then switch back to dps gear and continue my speedy soloing and questing.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines for 71-80 when the time comes. I did 61-70 as prot, but after levelling fast in instances in the early going I wound up going solo for most of the second half of that, and it was painful at times. Doesn't look like that'll be a problem this time around.

Myzery
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
1669 prot dps! Too bad it's on Shade of Aran. =(

I didn't expect to do 1600+ dps but then I started to think about the mechanics of this fight and realized that I could actually do a lot more in my current gear.

Shade of Aran:
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/5a5uohmmpb5nw?s=7909-8054)

Some notes:

Armor Penetration rocks for this guy. I'm pretty sure I must be hitting the ArP cap with executioner up. I think Aran has ~3500 armor but I haven't done the math to figure it out. I sit at ~637 ArP and we had had Faire Fire (the feral version) and 5xSA up. I'm curious how much ArP I could swap out and still get his armor to zero.

Another thing to note is that he's casting ~95% of the time so you will land nearly all your attacks. I probably should have swapped out the Shard of Contempt for more AP (although the proc is nice). I missed 8 attacks the whole fight, zero dodges or parries. Oddly, two of the misses were pummels. 126 hit in DW dps gear.

I had so much rage that I tried to heroic strike every attack until execute range. Rotation was WW > devdevdevdev

My dps gear is mostly S3, some Gruul's, and Shoulders/neck from MH. I dual wield the Dragonstrike and the badge off-hand fist.

Enjoy ripping this guy a new one, even as prot! With some tweaks to my gearing, haste potions, and WF, I think I can break 2k.

Crimsonstorm
06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Only 112 ArP, 61 haste. We're almost to the point where T6 will be available to people for off-spec stuff, so I should be able to pile on some armor penetration on then.

That ArP could use improvement, its REALLY good :)

Non raid stuff to get:
Arena Helm, Chest, Legs. (At this point, save points for S4). 84x3 ArP
Dory's Embrace (60 badges). Unless you have Vengeance wrap already, everything else is worse than those two, except the gorefiend cloak which you wont be getting. 112 ArP
Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate. Unless you have a Hyjal/BT/Sunwell raid drop its the best you can get. 154ArP
Angelista's Revenge (60 badges, and insanely good). 126 ArP
PvP Ring 54 ArP

Also, the hyjal trash necklace should drop enough for people to get it for offspec.

Total ArP without raid drops other than Hyjal neck =
84x3 = 252
+154
+112
+126
+54
+175

= 873

Thats a great start. And those pieces are all solid on other stuff as well.

I'm guessing you have Dory's and its your 112.

chuglur
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Well I had a stacked melee group taking the place of a rogue since we bring about the same amount of synergy and did 2160 dps. This was when I had 2 piece t6 and mostly t5 level items, no epic gems in a spec tailored for off-tanking namely 0/20/41.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/cduc5iteq4hli?s=169472-183146)

Crimsonstorm
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow.

Kazeyonoma
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
that's pretty sick man... O_o

but 1 parry?!?!?! bad dps... bad!!!! tsk tsk tsk lol.

tehrad
06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
hey guys, lots of good stuff here which has become relevant to me as i need to gather some gear to start doing some dps when i'm not tanking.

what i really need advice on is beginner gear to start increasing DPS. i only started playing in January and have been solely focused on levelling and aquiring tank gear, as you can see here: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz%27goroth&n=Tehrad)

(yes i will reach exalted with SSO this week and replace the shield!)

what would you recommend for an ABSOLUTE beginner to start at least contributing to DPS. bear in mind that i am at the stage where i need my badges to buy tanking upgrades, so this may not be an option for me just yet.

i was thinking the savage plate battlegear would be a place to start as i can purchase it outright. also have access to ragesteel helm/shoulders if this would be better? what about weapons/rings/trinkets?
oh and i don't PVP at all, should i respec and go do this for a while?

thanks in advance :)

Kream
06-19-2008, 02:10 AM
what would you recommend for an ABSOLUTE beginner to start at least contributing to DPS. bear in mind that i am at the stage where i need my badges to buy tanking upgrades, so this may not be an option for me just yet.

Step 1: Get your hit rating up to 142 (use +hit rating food if you need to)
Step 2: Build Str to raise your AP (Str > AP > Crit > Hit past 142). Str will give you your biggest initial gains, but crit and hit rating are both important to your DPS.

That should get you started..
Basically you can follow the DW Fury DPS guide, while bearing in mind that crit rating gives you less benefit than a fury warrior since you won't have Flurry.

Note: Non raid boss mobs require less hit rating to soft cap (Lvl 70 = 5%, 71 = 5.5%, 72 = 6%) so tweaking your soloing gear to hit 142 rating will probably result in less DPS.

Urhan
06-19-2008, 04:15 AM
In addition to what Kream said, which was good advice: continue levelling your blacksmithing, specialize in axesmith or hammersmith (probably axe), and make yourself a pair of the epic weapons from that specialty. They'll be by far the best prot dps weapons you have early access to - the only comparable thing in pre-25-mans is the sword off Netherspite. (Resist the temptation to go swordsmith and make a tanking weapon - you can get the Sun Eater for that much more easily than you can find good, slow dps weapons.)

tehrad
06-19-2008, 06:57 AM
thanks for the tips and comments guys!

der silly me after i posted i read the "Casual Prot Warriors guide to DPS" which has some great beginner gear!! :rolleyes:

so i've decided to go with the entire ragesteel set as i have most of the mats. i have the tablet or precision and will be hitting exalted with SSO so i can grab the neck. the other bits i will grab what is available, as for weapons i will do some comparisons but i have KD with Mongoose, Malchazeen or Creepjacker atm to choose from.

anyways i shall update once i've got a beginners set as to how it goes :)

Ulantor
06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
For good prot DPS whats more important, Top end damage on off hand or ArP? Asking beause was using Fury. last night Dagger of bad mojo dropped. No one else needed, so I picked it up, it's same DPS as fist and gets me to 864 ArP. Should I use it?

Other stats, 144 Hit, without the hit from current fist, 1850-1900 AP 28-30% crit depending on trinkets.

We are at 3/5 Hyjal and 1/9 (/embarrased) BT. I have th badges for the offhand fist, but it aside from the DPS number it does not look like that big and upgrade over Fury

Of course its a stop gap untill I can get another drop and some S3/S4 gear, just started arena again after using my other warrior since S2 for pvp.

Kavtor
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
The only real difference on OH speed is OH WW damage, and OH WW damage is a pretty insignificant percentage of your DPS. A nice slow OH is technically better, but the difference isn't really large enough to worry about.

Crimsonstorm
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Just get the offhand fist. Its cheap and is a decent dps upgrade.

Prunetracy
06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Also consider that Bad Mojo is a dagger, and thus receives significantly less benefit from Attack Power than your fist would. I'd suspect Rage is the better overall weapon because of that, but it's probably really close anyway.

I'm not sure how much damage the offhand portion of your whirlwind does, but expect it to hit at 70% or so compared to the fist.

Kavel
07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
WWS for Kaz'Rogal (http://wowwebstats.com/auhy2lgk2phqa?s=232524-247730)

Had some fun in Hyjal after our first Bloodboil kill. 940 DPS as prot was a new high for me, I think - it's just a shame that Recklessness was on c/d! :(

Dragaan
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I just looked over that WWS of the prot warrior doing ~1900 dps on gorefiend... Looks like dude was EXTREMELY lucky with the RNG. How in the hell did he miss 8% of his ~45 devastates but only missed TWO percent of his ~85 regular melee swings?? Seems like a flook to me.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that those devastate "misses" were actually dodges/parries. I guess this guy was almost hit-capped while dua-wielding..... Never thought that would help ESP as prot (w/o dual wield spec). It seems to keep his DST buff up most of the time tho.

Dragaan
07-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Prot dps can be pretty darn high if you know what you're doing and gear correctly. I have done ~1500dps on gorefiend as prot quite a while back in not-so-great t5ish gear (posted wws on a similar thread somewhere on these forums). Now that I have gotten some nice upgrades and have better stats (~2150ap as prot, 31.5%crit, 160hit, 17expertise, 1100armorPen, 21haste) I am really hoping I can get to do that fight again sometime (our guild has stopped farming BT). I believe that I can reach 1800+ if I am given both an enhancement shammy and a feral druid in my group. Easily. I'll post it if I am lucky enough to do it again.

Edit: Main reason prot DPS can be so high - One-handed weapon spec.

Dragaan
07-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Graul, I just noticed that it was you who actually posted that WWS (no idea why I didnt notice that in the first place). I know this thread is old, but please get back over here and tell me how much hit you were using at the time lol.