PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 Badge gear Vs. 2.4 Badge gear

Myzery
04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
So, you are wearing all the 2.3 badge gear already. That damn anvil is almost complete. What do you upgrade first?

I consulted Veneretio's list at:
The Badge Pick Order: 2.4 Edition - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/04/09/the-badge-pick-order-24-edition/)
This is an awesome resource. However, this list is for those without previous badge rewards. I wanted to do my own research based on already owning the existing badge gear.

I'm assuming +12stam gems everywhere, because they have been easily accessible for awhile.

Chest
Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian
Chestplate of Stoicism

Net Survival
+158armor
-6 stamina
+29 Defense
-4 Dodge

Net threat
+39 BV

Notes
+1.26 net avoidance. Tons of defense really frees up other slots in which to stack threat (or stam). For example, swapping this piece could let you use Shard of Contempt over Adamantine Figurine.

Girdle
Iron-tusk Girdle
Girdle of the Fearless
Net survival
+89 armor
+1 stamina
+13 Defense
-33 dodge

Net threat
+23 hit
+22 expertise

Notes
-1.09% avoidance. Slight EH upgrade. TONS of threat.

Ring
Going to compare to Shermanar, because it's what I would upgrade. Ring of Unyielding Force is almost identical to Shermanar EH-wise/avoidance-wise so comparison works for that too.
Shermanar great-ring
Ring of the Stalwart Protector

Net Survival
+169 armor
+9 stamina
-23 defense
+28 dodge

Notes
Net +0.31% avoidance. Some really nice EH gains. Could drop below 490 Defense. Of these four, this is the one item that really isn't making any sacrifices.

Pantalones
Unwavering Legguards
Sunguard Legplates

Net survival
+138armor
-8stamina
+21 defense
+35 dodge
-30 Block Rating

Net Threat
-59 Block Value
+23 expertise

Notes
+ 2.92% net avoidance. Orginally, I thought this was the most lateral move of these four, but after breaking it down, its actually a decent upgrade. Most expensive to gem/enchant.

Totals
Upgrading all four pieces will yield (no talents factored in):
+554armor
-4 stamina
+40 defense rating (17 skill)
+44 dodge rating
-30 block rating

-20 BV
+23 hit
+45 expertise

Value

Avoidance rank:
1. Pants
2. Chest
3. Ring
4. Girdle (Avoidance downgrade)

EH rank:
1. Ring
2. Girdle
3. Chest
4. Pants (slight EH downgrade)

Threat rank:
*assumes expertise > 23
1. Girdle
2. Pants
3. Chest
4. Ring (zero net gain)

Conclusion
I have no idea which piece to upgrade first. I'm leaning towards Chest, Ring, Belt, then Pants personally. Pants will probably be last because it is an EH downgrade, and I'm already lacking BV. Chest gives the most flexibility in my gearing due to having tons of defense. Ring is a sensational upgrade and one of the best in class.

Aelvain
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Chest looks like it's probably your best bet, especially if it's going to allow you to equip the shard. Ring is a really minor upgrade in all aspects, doesn't seem worth the cost to me. Legs are easily the biggest uprade in terms of survival and a decent upgrade in terms of threat. Also gemming the legs with 2 12 stamina gems would be foolish imo, you can go 12 stamina and 4 dodge/6 stamina to pick up the socket bonus. 9 dodge rating (~.48% dodge) is easily better than 60 hp in pretty much any situation. Obviously if you need threat the belt is your first pick. Chest ---> Legs ---> Belt in my opinion. Block value is largely overrated in terms of threat, so "lacking" it is not a bad thing. Though I'm not sure what content you're in, so that might change things a little.

Shortypop
04-12-2008, 03:31 AM
We had an informal chat about this the other day on the shoutbox, prompted by Vene's blog (tankingtips.com) which recommended the belt first. Despite this I'm leaning towards the breastplate first, for a couple of reasons (I'm in panza'thar btw and seem to have had it for ages)

- it will allow me to wear two stam trinkets instead of moroes pocket watch and maintain the same dodge - if I want to
- It's non-upgradeable or side-gradeable at my raiding level.

So I think I'm going chest -> belt -> legs, with the ring slotted in somewhere along the line.