PDA

View Full Version : Boss progression through SSC?

Sangi
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
What's considered the normal boss progression through SSC? We downed Hydross, had an attempt on Lurker and blew him off, then did a few attempts on Morogrim. Morogrim looks easier than Lurker due to having a competant pally tank for the adds. While I have seen through videos the rest of the fights I don't have any idea of where to head to once Morogrim is down.

Bullwrinkle
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
I think the traditional order is Hydross, Lurker, Tidewalker, FLK, Leo, Vash
FLK takes at least 3 reasonably geared tanks (I am pretty sure the priestess could be tanked by a dps warrior in tank gear)

Shortypop
04-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Depends a lot on your usual raid make-up. We went lurker - hydross - leo - kara. Largely due to not usually having a prot pally. I'd stick to Lurker as if your dps/healers cant figure out the spout Leo's whirlwinds going to cause you endless problems.

Sangi
04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah tanks arent a problem on a good night I can get 4 overgeared tanks, 1 decently geared, and 2 OTs. We have had one real night on Morogrim and got him to 50%. We died because we didn't have any backup in place for some of the key roles (tank healers in graves is not fun). I believe that we will have him licked this week. We had a bad experience with a former guild member on our first night on Lurker. I guess we will probably go back to him. I hate leaving respawns behind where we are doing progression. Plus I want that mace.

phaze
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
As mentioned above: Lurker gets your raiders in the mindset for reacting to timed events. Lurker is only slightly a DPS check; getting adds down before next adds is easy regardless of gearing levels.

The real test here is the idiot check via the Spout mechanic. Passing this test --> everyone alive --> plenty of DPS for adds and Lurker --> easy win.

Also: defeating Lurker shuts down both the Frenzy and the Scalding Water, making the water safe to enter. This is very helpful when dealing with the remaining trash along the bridges, or for running back from wipes.

So, I'd focus your raid on Lurker, until they can do the encounter without dying. Your SSC progression will be better for it.

brain9h
04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
After 2.4 my guild is doing on farm days Lurker->Vashj->Leo->Fathom

If you have downed Hydross you have enough dps for the whole instance, except maybe for Vashj. You will need a well geared and skilled tank for FLK (tanking the Tidalvess the shaman) and Leo (you need a tank who can grab and establish agro fast)

maddfez
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd recommend Lurker first for many of the reasons stated above.

If you're having problems meeting the dps check on the adds, have an OT build threat on one of the melee naga and then sheep him the rest of the fight. If an add from a prior adds stage is still alive, it will not respawn during the next adds stage. Since you had an OT build threat on it prior to sheeping, if it breaks sheep it won't beeline to your healers....rather it will hit a tank that can stun it, disarm it, and generally minimize the havoc it can cause before it can be resheeped.

FLK and Tidewalker mostly check that you have one really well geared tank and that your healers can communicate. For Leo, you need tank(s) that can pick him up quickly and good stop / start dps. Play to your raid's strengths.

Lococard
04-29-2008, 05:42 AM
When my guild was in SSC they have a druid take tidewalker.

Made it easier on the healers they kept saying.

Crommi
04-30-2008, 04:36 AM
We started with Hydross, but Lurker might be better if you need more time getting the resistance gear.
If any of your tanks say that they don't need high resistance to tank it and avoidance will do, take a WWS log and showe it in their face after the raid. As a Nature MT I take roughly the same amount of damage as offtank without resistance gear.

Nuberino
04-30-2008, 07:31 AM
We started with Hydross, but Lurker might be better if you need more time getting the resistance gear.Lurker is infinitely easier than the rest of the bosses in SSC. No enrage timer and only a moderate requirement of dps (enough to down all the adds that you can't perma sheep). It gives your raid members a huge test on who can and who can't actually focus for 10 minutes. The people that get killed by spout again and again are the people you will want to replace before moving further into T5 content.

One lurker fight when we brought a bunch of folks that had never been we lost 6 dps right off the bat (all the new guys and 1-2 people like I mentioned above). We then downed lurker in 17 minutes. We still had the minimum dps to kill the adds in time, we just needed a lot more time on Lurker himself :)

Hydross is a more difficult fight as you need:

1) Resistance tanks 2 in close to full buffed (1) frost and (1) nature and 1-2 OTs with decent mixed resistances to help round up the adds. A prot pally in mixed resist gear makes the adds trivial.

2) Good AE or very strong single target dps. AE helps bring the adds down faster in order to spend more time on Hydross. If you have to single target the adds down, you have to ensure the adds fall quickly.

3) The ability of your entire raid to stop dps (locks stopping dots earlier) and moving across a line and holding dps while the MT and the OT's establish agro.

While it really isn't that difficult of a fight, it has much higher initial requirements than Lurker.

Tidewalker we found to be a cakewalk... we killed him on our 2nd real go (we had 1 attempt the week before just to check his dps and how the fight went). We would've one shot him that night, but we found that we were a bit light on healing our first attempt (~45%) so kitty druid put on his healing gear and we got him the second go without a single death. A druid tanking him, with a prot pally grabbing all the adds from one side, while the prot/dps warriors bring the other sides adds to the pally. If everyone is piled up close to tidewalker the murlocs are easy to control and aoe down.

We have just started working on Leo (one attempt last raid to see him in action), my hope this week is to see Leo fall and FLK should fall right after since that fight looks actually fairly simple in execution.