PDA

View Full Version : lol Heroic MGT - Vexallus

Kraxen
04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Old news by now, but if anyone hasn't tried this yet it is definitely worth all the LoS pulls.

We actually came to this out of frustration. Spark killers were simply not able to stay alive. Out of desperation, it was decided that the tank kill all or most of the sparks... o.O

Rpy1LzSE8DY&hl=en

Simply hilarious. Ultimately this fight can be done with a tank and a healer after having killed 8-10 sparks.

On a side note, Figurine of the Colossus and the Petrified Lichen Guard rep shield will help warr's hold aggro on the schools of mana worms leading up to the boss. I usually instruct the party and healers to wait until after I have healed back to full with the Figurine of the Colossus before engaging. Typically you will have enough threat to hold the worms even through AoE.

Englewood
04-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I KNEW this looked familiar! ;p

kawika
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
i guess that's another way of doing it. curious as to what kinda incoming DPS the tank is taking / how much HPS is needed to keep the tank alive through it.

i think part of ppl's frustration with this fight is it changed the paradigm that we're used to (zerg fast and hard). IMO, this fight more about patience (and the staying power of your healer). default attack / wand damage till 20% then zerg fast and hard.

Aughban
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
i guess that's another way of doing it. curious as to what kinda incoming DPS the tank is taking / how much HPS is needed to keep the tank alive through it.

i think part of ppl's frustration with this fight is it changed the paradigm that we're used to (zerg fast and hard). IMO, this fight more about patience (and the staying power of your healer). default attack / wand damage till 20% then zerg fast and hard.

yup the key to this fight is not to dps as hard as you can, slow but steady dps on the boss (a shadow priest or something like that) and rest on adds.

headrush
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
aughban is exactly correct. the key to this fight is controlled dps. every 15% he brings out the sparks. DPS takes down the sparks (hunters can use their pets so they dont get the debuff), everyone heals up, bandage and u do this slow and steady until 20%. At that point you down the sparks, pop all trinkets and consumables and down the boss as well. Rushing through the sparks prior to 20% makes this more difficult than necessary.

Noraxe
04-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Yup the orbs needs to go down asap. Usually I take the left one and another one takes the right one. But I'll tell you. 1500 devastate hits is pretty nice :D Also if your tanking(prob good for all in that fight) and if you got Violet Badge I would suggest using this in this fight. You get stam and some resistance :)
But a rogue can also CoS out of the buff and dont get to many debuff's. A paladin could probably bubble out of it if he takes the orbs.
I usually do this with a 4 different healers(not me and 4 healers in same instance :p ). 1 of them in kara epics and blues. And we have found it easiest with me taking the 1 orb first time, 2 orbs next time, 1 next, 2 next etc etc. Not only will it be "easiest" for the healer, but also your TPS will sky rocket with the damage buff you got :)

McBash
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I found I was killing a few accidentally via my Vengance darkmoon card. I kind of liked it, so i started killing a few more. It's fun to be larger than the boss you're fighting.

The boss on this fight does 100% arcane damage. Even his melee attacks are arcane damage. I stopped by the AH and loaded up on arcane resistance items, which have +Arcane Reisistance and +Stamina on them. I ended up with 331 Arcane Resistance which made this fight rediculously easy. By swatting one or two of the orbs I can more than make up for the threat I loose by not wearing my normal gear.

emilio
04-15-2008, 03:58 AM
This boss is tricky but if you have one of these classes it should make your life easier:

Rogues can take the first 4 sparks and CoS out of it
Shadow priests can take first 2 sparks and use the now buffed VE for easy AoE healing
Warlocks and hunters can use pets to kill sparks and let them die
Mages can take 2-4 sparks depending on gear/skill and Ice Block out of it

Ukyo
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
now that's a big ass cow O_O

Indolentpyro
04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
That is awesome

kawika
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
now that the instance has been out for a while...curious as to ppl's thoughts on the use of resistance gear.

i can say that the first time i did the instance, i immediately went to my AR after the first attempt, and made the fight much smoother. Since then i've done some occasional pugs on my alts, and it's amazing the sheer ignorance (IMO) of some tanks when i suggest maybe they should use resist gear in the future. Some feel that just because they've done it 10+ plus times before without and they all of a sudden start wiping..it's say the healers fault when the healer is a priest with say 1900+ heal and sparks are being killed before chaining.

Granted i do know of many who do go in there and not use AR...but those are BT/Hyjal/Sunwell guilds, aka overgeared for the instance. (Heroic mode is supposed to be upper level kara in terms of difficulty).

If effective health is a product of health and armor for physical damage...don't they see that in a magic damage based fight....resistance transposes itself in place of armor? (Well sort of since resistance isn't a predicatable element).

mictavis
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Easymode . . .if the dps stands under the candle sticks on the left and right sides of the room they cannot grow and dont get the debuff. 1 DPS can take all adds without taking any damage.

kawika
05-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Easymode . . .if the dps stands under the candle sticks on the left and right sides of the room they cannot grow and dont get the debuff. 1 DPS can take all adds without taking any damage.

methinks that constitutes an exploit. my question was for doing the encounter properly.

MasterWolf
05-12-2008, 12:09 PM
You certainly can use avoidance gear. I've done it both ways. I don't think the gear makes all that much of a difference only because with T5 gear, or even T4, the gear you're giving up is SO much better in terms of HP, avoidance, etc, that there's little to no point to gimp yourself by putting on the resist gear. I remember putting on the Enchanted set, I lost like 3K life, and tons of Avoidance. But if you have simple upgrades, like replacing a Goblin Rocket Launcher with the stam+ AR trinket, then heck yeah go for it.

kawika
05-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I do agree that if the majority of the group is in full t4 equivalent gear or higher...you may not need the resistance. It sort of shifts it to an over geared factor.

There's a whole lot of other factors to consider, such as the class of the healer, and the rest of the party's ability to mitigate/reduce damage from the dot after killing sparks. As the saying goes...if it's not broken..don't fix it.

my general reasoning for those that are struggling with the encounter to consider resist gear for is on several fronts:

true, switching from T4/T5 equivalent to resist gear, you may loose a lot of stats. Full kara + badge gear...i drop only 2k health and about 6% in avoidance going from general tanking gear (i dont use my full EH set for instances) to my AR set. The loss is made up by being able to resist roughly half the incoming melee damage. Essentially i've almost doubled how much health i really have versus no resistance where i take full damage of his melee since armor does nothing for this fight.

You can also look at it as reducing the healer's HPS needed to keep you alive, thus being able to shift some of their attention to keeping other members of the party alive thru dots. This is an important thing to consider if you have a shaman as your healer and extremely critical if you have a paladin healer.

before patch 2.4, i used combat stats to get a guestimate of what kind of incoming dps i was taking. they've updated it..but doesnt seem that accurate anymore.

are there any other mods available that measures realtime incoming dps?

i use recount, but i dont think there's a readout for that...just damage taken. which would mean i'd have to do a post fight calc for that.

Grah
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I have been running heroic magister's terrace as much as possible and haev been easily getting up to Priestess Delrissa, and usually my group has tank (me) healer and 3 cc/dps usually a rogue mage and hunter. I'm obviously running this for Commendation of Kael'thas probably the best tanking trinket in the game right now. I don't get ti because my groups members gear is good enough for the instance, maybe it's just lack of experience? I dont know, please give me some suggestions on different strategies and group set ups, and tips will help alot :) thnx

clavarnway
06-20-2008, 06:30 AM
I use AR gear on Vex, enough to bring me to around 350 unbuffed. What this does is lets me (the tank) pick up the adds, and because I'm taking so little damage from Vex's normal damage, the healer can easily heal me through the debuffs. It also means I do alot more threat!