PDA

View Full Version : DPS Badge Gear - Is it Any Good?

Tazgoth
04-10-2008, 03:47 AM
I was looking at the DPS plate badge gear, and was wondering if these two pieces with lots of armor pen

Eternium Rage-shackles - Items - World of Warcraft
and
Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate - Items - World of Warcraft

would beat out

Bladespire Warbands - Items - World of Warcraft w/ 4str 4crit gem and 5str 4stamgem?
and
Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Shoulders - Items - World of Warcraft w/ 8 str gem and 4str 4crit gem?

for Arms PvE DPS. The bottom line is..

bracers
24 crit rating (Bladespire Wristbands)
vs
150 armor pen (Eternium Rage Shackles)

shoulders
6 str 38 crit rating (Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Shoulders)
vs
23 hit 154 armor pen (Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate)

I would hit around 948 armor pen with the badge pieces, when the armorer is done building on my server (for the Angelista's Revenge, which I'm getting for sure)

I was also reading that hitting 142 hit is very crucial for raid DPS - yet the correct way to socket was still to use 4str/4crit and 8str gems?

In addition, how much better would the axe from badges be, over my s3 mace? I'd get 5 more crit, more expertise, and a faster weapon with about the same DPS.

Corbusier
04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I was looking at the DPS plate badge gear, and was wondering if these two pieces with lots of armor pen

Eternium Rage-shackles - Items - World of Warcraft
and
Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate - Items - World of Warcraft

would beat out

Bladespire Warbands - Items - World of Warcraft w/ 4str 4crit gem and 5str 4stamgem?
and
Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Shoulders - Items - World of Warcraft w/ 8 str gem and 4str 4crit gem?

for Arms PvE DPS. The bottom line is..

bracers
24 crit rating (Bladespire Wristbands)
vs
150 armor pen (Eternium Rage Shackles)

shoulders
6 str 38 crit rating (Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Shoulders)
vs
23 hit 154 armor pen (Pauldrons of Gruesome Fate)

Bracers no, shoulders yes. The shoulders are replaceable by Swiftsteel, Pauldrons of the Wardancer, Ripfiend Shoulderplates and T5, which are all roughly equal.

I was also reading that hitting 142 hit is very crucial for raid DPS - yet the correct way to socket was still to use 4str/4crit and 8str gems?
Yes.

Cayleb
04-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but about the new plate DPS gear being released for badges with the anvil coming up soon. Is all the haste plate really worth it? It seems like there's a severe lack of crit in favor of the unreal amounts of haste. Is it really worth to drop down to something like 26% crit unbuffed to get the haste? Especially when it seems counter-productive to the mechanics of a fury warrior, crit to my knowledge, is extremely key for flurry/rampage. For arms, it seems to work entirely against an improved slam build.

After looking at a few pieces rather quickly, namely the legs to replace the -shudder- Vanquishers from Heroic Mech and possibly the breastplace over the Elven Battlevest from ZA, the belt I can't see even consider using the RBB. It's hard for me to justify the loss of other 2.60% crit(which would drop me down in the area of 26%) for the haste rating and possibly a small boost in AP. Am I missing something that I should be considering?

Corbusier
04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, you really have to evaluate it piece by piece, but since you were specific:
The new plate legs (and the leather ones actually) are on par with S3, and slightly better than T5/Bloodwarder's, so they'd be a significant upgrade from the Vanquishers.

The chest is meh, and the belt is garbage compared to the RBoB.

Cayleb
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
That makes the choice considerably easier. Though it brings me to another question, is there a particular argument for the plate legs vs the leather ones or is it really a matter of haste vs. crit/AP? I could see where the plate legs could be more beneficial for fury and the leather for Slammers, I'm just not certain if it's quite as black and white as it may seem.

Corbusier
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Eh, the stat balance is just really comparable. It's pretty much haste vs crit; for me they're less than .5 dps different. The haste for a 2h build depends on your overall haste and whether this would start clipping into your slam rotation.

Tazgoth
04-10-2008, 04:05 PM
So even though 142 hit is crucial, strength is more important. Otherwise, you would socket stuff with hit, until you got to 142.

GarrettJaxx
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
So even though 142 hit is crucial, strength is more important. Otherwise, you would socket stuff with hit, until you got to 142.

I'd never advocate socketing with hit. It doesn't scale with anything, and it's not hard to hit with gear, especially a level of 142, is it?

shiz98
04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Hit scales with damage. In other words, the more damage you're doing, the more benefit you get from hit.

Brucimus
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
The only piece I liked was from the 2.3 patch Furious Deathgrips

My guild doesnt do Gruul anymore and they put my hit at 160 right where i wanted it

Corbusier
04-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Hit scales with damage. In other words, the more damage you're doing, the more benefit you get from hit.
True, but it scales the most poorly out of all of our DPS stats.