PDA

View Full Version : Lady Vashj help

sevve
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
So after one night of tries on Vashj, I feel we have gotten most things for the first two phases under control.
The problem is simply that we don't dish out enough damage. I believe this is due to our tactics.
We currently have 8 people on elementals, 4 melee and 4 ranged. The ranged people are supposed to help out on striders aswell. Then we have 4 ranged in the middle doing elites and striders, while a warlock kites the striders. On our last try we got to phase3, but we still had 5(!!) Coilfang Elites up.
So I'm mainly wondering:
1) Which is the best way to distribute dps for phase2?
2) How much total raid dps do we need during phase2 approximately.

Any input appreciated.

Clifford
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
From my experience:

- We have seven dps on the stairs (2 west, 2 south, 1 east, 2 north). Ideally I went with ranged dps only except for the eastern staircase where a fury warrior worked well. However a pairing of ranged and melee works well.
- Our highest threat kiter is an elemental shaman.
- We have 3 melee and two tanks on the elites, who are also responsible for elementals that leak through as well as "dunking" the cores. We never had more than two elites up as any strider dps that is too close to the kiter's threat switches to naga elites and any leaking elementals.
- To me the one biggest difference between win and failure is having people help each other out. Specifically the kiter group on elites and elementals (as previously stated) and the naga group on elementals.
- Lastly make sure that you kiter group is setup to stun/slow the striders. This includes shadow priests with the blackout proc, warlocks with curse of exhausation and frost mages.

I can't tell you what raid dps is required but a general rule-of-thumb for me on a normal fight like Karathress is about 800dps. Anyone lower will make your life really tough and even too many people at that level will.

Good luck.

headrush
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Clifford, I have Followed your outline to the letter on other bosses and they tend to work pretty well. For example since utilizing your ideas on Leo we have downed him 4 times all one shots. Thanks for these helpful outlines. We are at Vashj now and going to try utilizing your outline on her. First attempts last week got down 2 generators but our strider dps has been lacking. Did you also have the groups at the stairs DPS the striders when it was in aggro range as a second priority (elementals being the first)?

Clifford
04-11-2008, 04:18 AM
I am glad they helped.

Regarding Vashj Phase 2: We had the same problem and the last piece of the puzzle was how to handle the striders. For us the issue was how to push enough dps on the strider without over-riding the kiter's agro.

What got us our first kill was therefore the following:
- With 20 seconds to go before the next strider spawns, call out it's position on Vent (N,S,E,W)
- All ranged close to that position (even those on the stairs near the strider) switch to strider dps. The exception would be if there is a tainted on those stairs then they wouldn't join as tainted have priority.
- If anyone in the strider group is dangerously close to the kiter's agro then they switch to the leaking elementals or naga.
- The naga group switch their focus to the leaking elementals.

Even having one extra ranged dps that can do a full nuke on the strider will make a massive difference.

One last thing: It surprised me how quickly phase 2 finishes if you never miss a tainted core. Check with your raid if this is happening and help them to deal with it :D

sevve
04-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Thanks for replies. We got her last night.
We brought 7 healers. We put 3 melee on the Elites, 5 casters + kiter on the Striders. Hunter + warrior on western stairs, 2 hunters, a destro lock and 2 mages on the other stairs.
We played our way through phase2, and even with a lost core due to unfortunate naga agro we got through with half a Strider and half an Elite up. We also used a paladin with righteous fury active in the middle to agro Elites when they spawned.

Like you said, it's a matter of everyone always doing something.

Clifford
04-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Thanks for replies. We got her last night.
We brought 7 healers. We put 3 melee on the Elites, 5 casters + kiter on the Striders. Hunter + warrior on western stairs, 2 hunters, a destro lock and 2 mages on the other stairs.
We played our way through phase2, and even with a lost core due to unfortunate naga agro we got through with half a Strider and half an Elite up. We also used a paladin with righteous fury active in the middle to agro Elites when they spawned.

Like you said, it's a matter of everyone always doing something.

Congratulations Sevve. Now you can enjoy Kael'thas who is less hectic than Vashj but still requires precision execution. I will post a "What Worked" later as well before I forget.