PDA

View Full Version : Any parry tanks out there?

Kraxen
04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Just an idea that's been knocking around in my head. The inherent value in parrying an attack given the %40 follow-up haste seems enormous. I know that some warriors choose to go the dodge route instead of maximizing effective health, but I have yet to hear from a parry tank.

Parry rating gear may be too minimal to support a gear spec like that, but if anyone has had experience with trying this or has already done the research into what's possible I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Malignus
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I've stacked parry pieces before. It's like stacking dodge, but with a tiny bit more rage. Not worth it.

Naka
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
The more you parry, the more your opponent parries. So you're effectively hurting your avoidance, let alone the inferior avoidance per itempoints relation. Unless you hit the expertise hard cap, of course. So i think it's just a bad thing.
If you need more threat, better just swap in a threat piece with expertise, hit, SBV.

duvar
04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I wasn't aware that you could parry a parry. If this were possible you could in theory go back and forth in an infinite cycle of parries. To prevent this, surely there is a cutoff point at which point a parried attack cannot be parried.

Malignus
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I wasn't aware that you could parry a parry. If this were possible you could in theory go back and forth in an infinite cycle of parries. To prevent this, surely there is a cutoff point at which point a parried attack cannot be parried.
You aren't parrying a parry. It works like this.

You parry boss attack.
Your next swing gains a hasted attack speed (0%/20%/40% depending on where your swing timer was).
Boss parries your hasted attack.
Boss gains hasted speed to next attack.

Etc. ad nauseam.

AlmtyBob
04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
The more you parry, the more your opponent parries. So you're effectively hurting your avoidance, let alone the inferior avoidance per itempoints relation. Unless you hit the expertise hard cap, of course. So i think it's just a bad thing.

This is exactly why I've never upgraded from Sunstrider Axe. While all you n00bs are getting parry-gibbed with your fast tanking weapons I'm sitting pretty with the slowest 1H in game.

But really, the fear of parry-gibs should not be holding people back from equipping parry gear (equipping, not stacking). The small threat bonus from parry when spamming HS makes up the extra boss parries.

Take a battle where the tank has 20% parry and the boss has 10% (after expertise) with a 3 second swing timer. The tank parries on average once every 15 seconds, or 4 times a minute. Those 4 parries will result in about 1 full extra tank attack per minute. With a ~10% boss parry, your extra parries will result in reducing ONE swing in a ten minute boss fight (again on average). Most likely this will result in ZERO extra damage over the course of the fight. I know there's the fear of parry strings and my math isn't perfect, but it's close. Bottom line, make sure your melee is attacking from the rear and then stop worrying about boss parry whatsoever except as a means to increase threat through expertise.

Xav
04-08-2008, 02:46 PM
The additional rating needed to get 1 parry versus 1 dodge makes this not worth it at all. Dodge is far superior.