PDA

View Full Version : Fury Warrior - Weapons speeds?

Gonzal
04-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Ok, my realm is almost at phase 3, and i dont know if i should get the two slow fist weapons or 1 slow and 1 fast. I have discussed this with allot of people and they ALL have different opinnions.

To be more exact, some say 1 slow, 1 slow, or 1 fast 1 slow, or 1 fast, 1 slow

Can someone tell me the differences?

Corbusier
04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Slow/slow is the ideal. Slightly higher WW damage, but all in all, the difference is very slight.

Marn
04-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Use what you're more comfortable with.

The fury warrior in my guild says WW is 7% of his damage using Rod of the Sun King/Blade of Savagery. Now, maybe it would be higher if he was using a different offhand but, he's more accustomed to the playstyle that features his offhand as a "rage throttle" to help even out his rage generation. Since technically the rage generation is the same whether you go slow/slow or slow/fast, you're better off going dual slow for the whirlwind damage, and math generally backs that up.

However if you don't know how to properly manage your rage then dual slow is going to hamper you with burst rage when you aren't expecting it. Again, the difference in DPS for slow/slow and slow/fast regarding whirlwind should be relatively small, but I'm not going to pretend that slow/slow isn't better if all conditions are ideal.

Anik
04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Now that they've fixed flurry proc'ing off offhand crits it's even less of a difference.

Pick the offhand with the best stats, speed is more of a preference.

Ukyo
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Now that they've fixed flurry proc'ing off offhand crits it's even less of a difference.

Pick the offhand with the best stats, speed is more of a preference.

they have the same stats xD

I suggest getting the slow one, you can pick up the fast one later for execute spams

Brucimus
04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm a newly converted Fury Warrior and I have tried both Slow/Slow and Slow/Fast and I really like Slow/Fast much better...The Rage always seems to be there

Arrivan
04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I used to use slow/fast but switched over to slow/slow when I got Fury, and to be honest I prefer slow/slow. With a good amount of AP and crit, you shouldn't have rage problems too often. Of course, a fast OH makes recovering from a string of misses/dodges/parries/glances faster, but on most boss fights I find myself swimming in rage. I am seriously considering using my fast OH for soloing though because I find myself rage starved due to bad luck with hits using my slow/slow combo.

skdal
04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
The problem with Slow/Slow is the fact that rage caps at 100. You can never have more than 100 rage at any given time. Because of the mechanics of rage generation in relation to weapon speed, its FAR easier to hit that rage cap abruptly with slow/slow weapons compared to slow/fast weapons. When you hit that cap of 100 rage you are starting to lose dps unless you are already hitting HS every single MH swing (It might feel like you are but not many people can ever do this). Generally, capping rage is a bad thing and its easier to do so with slow/slow weapons.

In the end, the difference between PvP weapons (I use pvp weapons because they have identical stats the only difference is their speed) is very marginal. Slow/slow should yield more dps because of whirlwind mechanics and a higher instant:autoswing ratio but it can just as easily result in lower dps when you miss CD's with a double miss or overcap your rage with double crits/WF procs.

GarrettJaxx
04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm starting to look at this carefully. I just got the 2.5 fists, and I don't have mongoose on either, so my haste rating brings them to a static 2.43.

I'm concerned that I'm ending battles with a full rage bar often, not getting my Execute's off (I think I'll add this to the list of requests for Fury Guide 5 Corb's thinking of). I'm also thinking that the cap issue, in the fact that 2x 2.43 weapons may be spiking to 100 rage too often, may in fact be a liability.

A fast offhand weapon would make that ride smoother I'm guessing. It would also proc Flurry more often for me, since my crit's not bad at 29-30% unbuffed, and gets to 32%-35%+ with raid buffs (like Pack).

I'm thinking I may have goofed in grabbing the slower offhand. I guess it's really about my own personal 'feel' huh? I'll have to grab a fast offhand that's not too horrendous and go out and test it. I think I have Malchazeen, still.

Do you guys suggest Recount over SWStats to compare? Any mobs/areas you think are best to check it out in an unbuffed environment?

Thanks in advance. :o

Ukyo
04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Recount > SWStats, since with recount you can check a lot more stuff than with SWS. I see recount as an in-game WWS.

I'm using slow/slow (dragonstrike/Vanir's Brutality w/ Exe/Goose) and the rage seems to go smoothly, though i get a full bar more often than i'd like, still you can always reduce with spamstring and HS spaming when the fight it's on the middle point. I found out that Quickening Blade of the Prince it's a pretty decent OH (i have mine w/ mongoose :3) until you can get a better one, in those cases where i'm rage starved n stuff.

Some nice area for tests would be the elementals or the orcs near Black Temple and Hand of Guldan.

Hope my post whas helpful (though confusing rofl)

Splug
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
My understanding is that offhand speed ends up only really effecting your whirlwind damage. Assuming proper rage management with both weapons, that's going to be the only difference. Comparing the two left fists:

Brutality: 180-335 (2.5 speed) = 257.5 average hit
Savagery: 108-201 (1.5 speed) = 154.5 average hit

Attack power added to that is normallized at the same speed, so both will have an instant-attack added damage of X. We can drop it from the computation since it is equal on either weapon.
I've heard that going over 1/2 improved whirlwind is pointless due to GCD collision, so assuming a 9-second whirlwind recast, you're looking at a difference of (257.5 - 154.5)/9 = 11.4 DPS from whirlwind due to weapon speed. When fury warriors are easily reaching 1k+ dps, you're looking at a 1% or lower difference either way - it's really not game breaking. You probably even make up that gap during executes, since the more consistent rage income allows you to pop that more often. In conclusion, stats > playstyle > speed for offhands. If the stats are the same and you don't care either way about faster vs slower offhands, you could seriously flip a coin and probably be about as well off either way, but math suggests the slower one. Slightly.

-Splug