PDA

View Full Version : How much dodge?

duvar
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm a protection warrior just finally getting into Hyjal / Black Temple. I've always been of the mindset that I should be weary of gear with +dodge, because when you dodge you don't get rage. In fact, when we killed Vashj the other day I decided not to even bid DKP on the Helmet because it had so much dodge. On the other hand, when I look at things like the Tankspot warrior gear rankings, I see that particular helmet ranked pretty high, higher even than the Onslaught Greathelm, which while not great, contains block value, shield block rating (allowing you to gain rage from shield specialization, rage from damage, and reduce your chance to be crushed), along with more defense.

So my question is, am I wrong in shying away from gear with +dodge itemization? How much dodge (and dodge/parry combined for that matter) should I am for in tanking Hyjal/BT, and how much (if any) is too much?

bruttall
04-02-2008, 07:25 AM
In my opinion, you're going to want to start keeping and maintaining several different gear sets. High avoidance sets work very well for Azgalor, Achimonde and Bloodboil. I've got 4 technical 'sets' for tanking, where 1 is for lower content. The other three are Avoidance (34% dodge/19% parry/21k hp buffed), Max Threat (capped expertise/hit), General (25% dodge, 17% parry, 2-piece t5/25 expertise/18k armor).

For heroics and kara, I wear a SBV set with 800-900 sbv.

Dodge isn't bad. You might not want 35% dodge every fight, nor would you want to socket for it....but when your healers are silenced and you're taking 7-8k hits, avoidance is your friend.

Malignus
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
A combined total of 45-50% avoidance (dodge/parry/miss) will work for the majority of bosses in BT/HYjal. For Archimonde, Shahraz, Illidan, Illidari Council, and maybe Bloodboil (if you do a 2 tank strat) you'll want to bump that number up to around 55% avoidance or more. I have a general tanking set I use for normal bosses, a threat oriented set for threat oriented fights like Gorefiend and RoS, and I'll switch out my trinkets in my general tanking set for Scarab of Displacement & Moroes Lucky Pocketwatch for high avoidance fights.