PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielding - Weapons

Beaucat
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Hi,

Just looking for advice on weapons for dual wielding. Currently I have Blazefury equipped in my main hand with Executioner and Fool's Bane in my off-hand with Mongoose. I have always thought that the faster weapon should go in your main hand. Is this still the case? - and is the mace a viable weapon for a fury warrior or should I be looking for another sword?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Frederic
04-01-2008, 10:36 AM
1. Slow weapon in main hand.

2. Match your off-hand to your main hand's speed if you are not bothered by the bursty rage generation, otherwise use a fast OH. A slower offhand will yield higher WW damage, and will occasionally cause flurry to bug and award you two flurried attacks to one charge.

3. Fool's Bane is a very acceptable main hand for a Kara geared player.

GarrettJaxx
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
2. Match your off-hand to your main hand's speed if you are not bothered by the bursty rage generation, otherwise use a fast OH. A slower offhand will yield higher WW damage, and will occasionally cause flurry to bug and award you two flurried attacks to one charge.

Guys, is this 'bug' still occurring or was it fixed in 2.4? If it's still occurring, is it safe to say that we still want to have same-speed weapons in MH/OH (unless we're in fights where we want to generate a ton of rage smoothly, and look to a fast Offhand)?

Trying to decide if the 1.5 badge fist would be a poor choice with a 2.6 sword. Thanks in advance.

Signu
04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I have always thought that the faster weapon should go in your main hand.

The reason you want to have a slow weapon in your main hand is because your instant attacks hit harder because the average weapon damage is higher. Of course, for tanking, you want a faster weapon for better threat/rage gen.

Beaucat
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks very much for your advice. That brings up another question - I can switch these weapons around, but now that I've got 2 expensive enchants - what is the net effect of having Mongoose on the main hand and Executioner in the off-hand?

Corbusier
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks very much for your advice. That brings up another question - I can switch these weapons around, but now that I've got 2 expensive enchants - what is the net effect of having Mongoose on the main hand and Executioner in the off-hand?
Significantly less DPS than Executioner MH/goose OH.

Frederic
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Guys, is this 'bug' still occurring or was it fixed in 2.4? If it's still occurring, is it safe to say that we still want to have same-speed weapons in MH/OH (unless we're in fights where we want to generate a ton of rage smoothly, and look to a fast Offhand)?

Trying to decide if the 1.5 badge fist would be a poor choice with a 2.6 sword. Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware it's still there. It's a problem with the way Blizzard made flurry work. The system subtracts the used charge after your flurried attack lands, but if two flurried weapons land at the same time what does the game engine do? Go back in time and un-flurry your off-hand?

If it's been fixed, you will likely notice one of two things, either that your flurry charges will be subtraced when the attack is initiated (which would result in the flurry icon popping up and immediately dropping down to a single charge if your using two same speed weapons), or you will be penalized after the fact for having gained an extra charge.

Talking about the weapon, I like matched slow speeds myself. Mostly a matter of theoretical efficiency impinging upon reality in any case: if you don't have the reaction speeds to keep up with a bursty rage generation then don't, go slow/fast and take a small hit in WW damage, and don't bother fretting about it because in the end your personal DPS will likely be better for it. Ignore idiots who think there is no human factor involved, and don't get bent out of shape over whether you lost 11 DPS because you have a hard time keeping track of raid mods, positioning, threat meters, and rage levels at once.

mkramer
04-20-2008, 03:01 PM
The reason you want to have a slow weapon in your main hand is because your instant attacks hit harder because the average weapon damage is higher. Of course, for tanking, you want a faster weapon for better threat/rage gen.

Is this true? Bloodthirst damage doesn't care about your weapon damage at all, only attack power. Meanwhile if your instant attack is mortal strike, you better be wielding a two hander. If your IA is devastate, then you're prot wielding a fast tanking weapon.

The benefits of a slow MH to a DW fury warrior are basically: better deep wounds ticks, better whirlwinds, and better cleaves. These are compelling enough reasons to go as slow as possible. Only whirlwinds and the flurry bug are improved by a slow offhand. These are generally not compelling reasons to go slow OH: take the best weapon you can acquire in the OH, of any speed.

GarrettJaxx
04-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Is this true? Bloodthirst damage doesn't care about your weapon damage at all, only attack power.

Heroic Strike is significant, if it's not used often in your total rotation, on the GC opps, I'd be surprised. Also, WW hits harder with a slower mainhand (and offhand for that matter), and don't forget Sweeping Strikes, which by hitting more than one target, exponentially improved white and special damage attacks.

Slow mainhand is helpful for those reasons.

HOWEVER - if there's better stats, MUCH better stats on a faster Main hand, then sure, use it. No one would think otherwise.

mkramer
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
WW hits harder with a slower mainhand (and offhand for that matter), and don't forget Sweeping Strikes, which by hitting more than one target, exponentially improved white and special damage attacks.

Slow mainhand is helpful for those reasons.

I already noted this in my post:

The benefits of a slow MH to a DW fury warrior are basically: better deep wounds ticks, better whirlwinds, and better cleaves. These are compelling enough reasons to go as slow as possible. Only whirlwinds and the flurry bug are improved by a slow offhand. These are generally not compelling reasons to go slow OH: take the best weapon you can acquire in the OH, of any speed.

A few more notes. Sweeping strikes is not helped by average weapon damage. This is because it is a timed buffed and applies to all white and yellow attacks during that time, it doesn't run out of charges on a fast weapon swing. Similarly with heroic strike, yes heroic strike does weapon damage, but it isn't instant speed, it just applies on the next swing. I don't really know whether HSing is better with fast or slow. The advantage of slow is that yellow attacks are better than white attacks, because you get bigger crits on yellow and a lower miss rate (28%->9% base if DWing), and presumably a large percentage of your attacks could be HS's with a slow weapon. The disadvantage of slow is that a larger %age are yellow, so not generating rage, and you get less opportunities to apply HS. Meanwhile HS adds a fixed damage amount regardless of weapon speed, and you would presumably generate more rage from a fast weapon that is hitting with a higher white:yellow ratio, thus, more HS's overall. Like I said in the original post, this minor advantage of a fast MH is insignificant relative to the advantages you get from a higher average damage on a slow weapon.

Sorry for wall'o'text, the conclusion remains the same:

* Slow MH (2.6+)
* Best OH you can acquire of any speed, all other stats held constant, slow is better.

Frederic
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
* Slow MH (2.6+)

The new fist weapons are 2.5 Speed and depending on who you ask beat everything until BT/Hyjal/S3 Gladiator. The only thing that is really penalized is Whirlwind, but that is offset by the fact that they are 103 DPS weapons - better than most BT weapons in raw white damage.