PDA

View Full Version : Archimonde Tanking

Siam007
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
I've read a few places, but nothing blunt, is this more of avoidance fight? If it is, when I am stacking my avoidance should I try not to fall below 20k health buffed?

Some info on that and any other tips would be helpful. :)

Hypatia
04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd say that a balanced set is pretty reasonable for this fight. Archie's melee hits pretty hard, but he cannot crush. I've found that reasonable avoidance levels keep things going across periods where something bad has happened to one healer or another and other healers are picking up the slack.

Honestly, from the tanking POV, it's all about having good awareness of what's around you and using your "oh shit" buttons when appropriate. (Really, I usually leave them alone, just because I prefer providing a steady damage input profile to my healers on most fights—but on Archimonde, I find I use all of my trinkets, potions, healthstones, etc. all the time. Just to make sure that bad luck doesn't end the attempt because somebody had to run from a doomfire.)

Colon
04-01-2008, 05:22 AM
My guild just killed him last night. I used my Darkmoon:Vengeance Card and Commendation of Kael'Thas as well as chain chugged ironshield potions and an elixir of major defense. Basically 4/5 t5, 21k hp buffed and my avoidance is pretty marginal I guess, 25-26% dodge, about 18-19% parry, and I think 14% miss(WWS). On average according to WWS he was hitting me for 6.5k, snuck one in for 9k on our kill and on a soul charge during another attempt destroyed me for 16k, lol.

chengt
04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I MTed him last night and got pwned.
Maybe it was a healing issue maybe it was a gear issue.
I was getting hit anywhere from 8-10k (not using armor pots just a protection scroll so just under 17k armor)
I noticed that alot of incoming dmg came from parry glibs too (16 exp).
I was at just under 22% dodge and ~16.7k hp unbuffed.
I need some better gear to get a better comparison but I am going to try this fight with 25% unbuffed dodge (SE and KZ neck would get me there) but I think part of it was an armor issue as I heard that he's supposed to hit for < 8k

torand
04-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I was getting hit anywhere from 8-10k (not using armor pots just a protection scroll so just under 17k armor)
I need some better gear to get a better comparison but I am going to try this fight with 25% unbuffed dodge (SE and KZ neck would get me there) but I think part of it was an armor issue as I heard that he's supposed to hit for < 8k

Yeah, I would recommend >20k HP buffed (Not sure what your buffed is from that unbuffed number), and at least 65% pure avoidance (This does not include block, but including miss). I also use avoidance use trinkets on this fight, and have my healers communicate if they cannot get to me. Once I hit 21k HP fully buffed (Using flasks, food, improved imp, kings, mark, fort, and not improved shout), I started stacking avoidance, so I sit at around 72% for this fight now, more if we have enough shamans for me to get GOA. If you don't have 5 Shaman though, they are probably better used giving groups tremor.

Siam007
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I've heard some tanks try to max expertise to help with the boss not parrying, would you consider that crucial?

RiketheZaut
04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I tanked this in mostly my avoidance gear and using no stam trinkets. We had our first kill Monday, 3/31 and we have only been in BT/Hyjal for 3 weeks. My dodge is close to 31% in that gear set and very rarely did my health drop low. I was istting at just over 20K buffed or so and did not chain chug ironshield potions. Really from my expeirence on this fight as a tank and from healing on my paladin, the fight boils down more to your healers and raid not taking alot of damage. I would agree 20k hp is a good marker but I would stack as much avoidance as you can afford to.

byechee
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
expertise does help, but from what i've found isn't all that crucial, especially since threat isn't a huge deal here. i don't think i've ever died from a parry-gib, and as long as your healers are competent, you should be fine as well.

Colon
04-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Unbuffed I'm at 18.3K or so armor, Elixir of Major Def adds 500, Prot Scroll adds 300 and Ironshield 2500 more for two minutes, plus with BoK, I'm probably pretty close to 22k armor for the fight which is reducing the damage intake from 18K by a decent amount.

chengt
04-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Unbuffed I'm at 18.3K or so armor, Elixir of Major Def adds 500, Prot Scroll adds 300 and Ironshield 2500 more for two minutes, plus with BoK, I'm probably pretty close to 22k armor for the fight which is reducing the damage intake from 18K by a decent amount.

Are you fighting Archimonde in full T6?
If not can I get a link to your armory to see what gear you are tanking it with?
If you are well then I'm ool to meet that 18.3k for now. :P

byechee
04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
you should be able to easily reach 18.3k unbuffed armor by the time you get to arch, without needing to wear rings with armor. the most important piece to get to this number is obviously the shield. if you are still using aldori legacy defender or worse you might not make it.

Colon
04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Are you fighting Archimonde in full T6?
If not can I get a link to your armory to see what gear you are tanking it with?
If you are well then I'm ool to meet that 18.3k for now. :P

No actually I was in 4/5 t5 and only the t6 gloves. I use the badge cloak over Pepe's with +120 armor enchant so it's at 466 armor, Unbreakable Will has 308 armor and the shield from Kaz'rogal adds 651 armor over Aldori.

Armory has me in quite a few upgrades since last week so I don't think it will help unless I log out in it.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anvilmar&n=Col&#37;C3%B3n)

chengt
04-05-2008, 05:43 PM
No actually I was in 4/5 t5 and only the t6 gloves. I use the badge cloak over Pepe's with +120 armor enchant so it's at 466 armor, Unbreakable Will has 308 armor and the shield from Kaz'rogal adds 651 armor over Aldori.

Armory has me in quite a few upgrades since last week so I don't think it will help unless I log out in it.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anvilmar&n=Col%C3%B3n)

Ahh ok. Unfortunately my biggest problem is my shield and weapon.
I'm still using KD and Nightbane shield as our tanking drops have been dismal except in BT.