PDA

View Full Version : Resistance tank

Cjs
03-31-2008, 08:00 AM
When im in my FR gear I dip below the 490 defense mark(465 to be exact), Im the Infernal tank on Anetheron encounter in Hyjal Summit and we have downed him a couple times no problem but now im looking more down the road towards Illidan with the Flames of Azzinoth. Will being crittable be a problem?

EDIT: another question that just came to mind is, should I be going for effective HP or resistance? I plan on using [Pauldrons of Stone Resolve] with a +7 Resistance enchant for Mother Shahraz, so with that in mind should I stack stam gems or Void Sphere's? Im at 13.1k HP and 244 FR unbuffed. (missing some enchants). I dont have all my SR gear made right now since the lack of Hearts of Darkness so i cant tell you what my SR would be.
Thank You.

Worldie
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, being crittable IS a problem. You absolutely need uncrittabilty and capped (or almost capped) FR on flames.

Jericho
04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
For infernal tanking you do NOT need near capped FR. We used to use a FR capped Prot Pally in this role, but he has dropped to a lower FR level these days in tanking them. You need to be able to produce threat and do it fast because the ranged members of your raid are going to blow it up ASAP.

Being uncrittable is vastly more important in this role. Suggestions to make here are using the S2 Arena shield and Resilience enchants to lower the def "cap" to obtain the best "middle ground" that you can get to. That being said, if you are looking at being the Flame tank for your inevitable attempts on Illidan, you need to be as close to uncrittable as possible while having 295 FR unbuffed. By spending 100 badges on the FR gear, you are just about there. You just need to tweak your gear to get that uncrittable number. Using resilience is the best way to do that in alot of cases.

As for Mother tanking ... a full set of SR gear will get you 224 for the crafted Ashtongue pieces (40+54+54+72) + 40 from the cloak and another 40 from the attunement neckpiece ... so without enchants you are looking at 304 without enchants or shadow protection with is flat out more than you will need in the fight. If you are without the medallion, then you have a little catch up to do to get you to the cap for the encounter. Luckily adding a +15 enchant on the cloak gets you almost halfway there, and dropping on the lower city head enchant gets you to 299 SR unbuffed, which is well within the resistance cap when buffed. (Another option is the SR/FR shield from Heroic Mana Tombs.) Remember, as an SR tank you do not need to be uncrittable. The goal is to be capped and have as much health as you possibly can. So stam/150 health enchants in every possible place is more than likely your best bet.

Cjs
04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
alrite ty for all the info.

taro
04-03-2008, 07:20 PM
i do fine in 288 unbuffed w/ motw but no pally FR aura, and 432 def for anatheron :) i use the same gear for illidan flame tanking w/ FR aura and it seemed to be working fine. for off tanking mother I wear 3 SR plate (no leg) and cloak and BT neck and it works out great. our MT wears no SR.

ttocs
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Uh, what?

It's nice to be at 490 defense, but it's not an absolute necessity. It's more important to have somewhere around 20K HP raid buffed than uncrittable. You'll get crit for 3-5K, because youll resist a good portion of the crit.

I've never had a survival issue with having 455 defense tanking flames - both with and without improved defensive stance.