PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Avoidance for each Tier instance?

Kahmal
03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Ok, so I'm familiar with Effective Health and all of that Armor, Stamina, Avoidance , but what with me gather up so much tanking gear and mixing and matching it I'm just getting confused with how I"m really supposed to gear. If I stack all the stam gear I have I'm put to around 32% avoidance, this is with Moroes Pocket Watch. I'd put on the Violet Badge and the MgT trinket for even more stamina.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding+Hollow&n=Kahmal) (my threat set)

I'm normally not confident without at least around 18% dodge or so and I can manage that if I swap in Boots of Elusion keeping the pocket watch. But I wanna know if I should worry about my avoidance, is the goal for EF just to stack all the armor you can, while stacking all the stam you can after and then Avoidance? This makes my head spin

Leytur
03-31-2008, 04:57 AM
I've always prioritized armor and stam. After that it's threat (having 2 locks on runs forces you to put threat next). After that avoidance but at this point it's an afterthought.

I tanked a Prince kill yesterday for the first time and I'm very happy that my EH is as high as it is (13.4 HP 14.3 AC) with <15 dodge and about 16 parry.

I would say in order to keep your head from spinning just focus on EH. If you like your head spinning and all that then work on multiple sets.

Radhja
03-31-2008, 06:22 AM
My personal experience covers all T4 content (except ZA - can't get a group that can get past Halazzi, sadly...), and I typically shoot for ~35-40&#37; total "pure avoidance" (Dodge + Parry only) for tanking "serious" fights like Prince, Nightbane, Gruul, or Mag. Against just about everything else, I stack the hell out of EH/Threat stats. If you're confident in your healers' ability to keep you standing, you can focus on other things during those fights.

Addendum: Something to mention about Prince... during P2 (Thrash phase), it's better to have a high Dodge and lower Parry because a Parry on your behalf could in turn trigger a parry from Prince, and with the insane damage output you're already soaking up during P2, it's best to avoid those extra shots when we can, if only for your healers' sake.

Kazeyonoma
03-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I get 40&#37; total avvoidance (dodge/parry/miss) and rest goes to stam/armor/threat that's it. t4 is tankable, za is tankable, and most of t5 was tankable.

Aelvain
04-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Can't see your armory so I can't give you specific comments, but I'll say that in general all out stamina/armor stacking is pretty weak and is often unnecessary, the Pocket Watch is invaluable and should never be swapped out for a subpar stamina trinket, and the expertise badge items are worth the cost.

Leytur
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Can't see your armory so I can't give you specific comments, but I'll say that in general all out stamina/armor stacking is pretty weak and is often unnecessary, the Pocket Watch is invaluable and should never be swapped out for a subpar stamina trinket, and the expertise badge items are worth the cost.

I tanked Prince just fine with Blue trinkets that I barely use. EH ain't no joke. . .

Kazeyonoma
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
all out stamina and armor stacking is hardly "weak". It works. its not Optimal at a certain stage, and against certain fights, but its hardly "weak". It is universally strong, it's just not perfect in all situations, but no setup is. That's why I go back to the same thing Ciderhelm, Satrina, Wanderlei, and all the greats have said in the past:

Keep Multiple Sets of Gear, and swap out gear for different fights.

Malignus
04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
You can get away with around 40-45&#37; avoidance up until the end of T5 content and the beginning of T6 content. Once you reach that point, you'll want between 40-50% for most bosses, and upwards of 55% for the hard hitting dual wield bosses. When I say avoidance, I mean miss/dodge/parry, as block isn't really an avoidance stat.

Rayne
04-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Kahmal, I'm wearing very similar gear and seeing as how that's your "threat set" it may be even closer. I don't have the MgT trinket yet (but other people have been happy), but have a Darkmoon card. I'm curious to see what things look like once I have the new badge gear which will allow me, under certain circumstances, to equip both the Darkmoon card and the Commendation.

Back on point, I've successfully tanked all of Kara (whee), the three ZA kills and Jan'alai (have seen him twice, don't really think my tanking was the issue -- that fight is more dependent on everyone else best I can tell), Mag last night, and Lurker, using my EH set. Also tanked VR and Solarian using that set. If we ever do Gruul again I suspect it'll work just fine. Tried it on Morogrim, he made me cry, I put a bear up front and put on my fury gear for our subsequent tries. I don't really think I have enough avoidance yet to try him, although after the badge upgrades I'll take another shot at it just to see if it makes a difference.

I suspect that by the time we reach higher tiers I should have acquired whatever was necessary to tank it.