PDA

View Full Version : RoS Phase 1 - Solo Tank

bruttall
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Any idea how much shield block value is needed to be able to solo tank RoS phase 1? I've seen a few mentions where people say its possible and we'll be taking some shots at it this week. We've tried one night before - successfully able to complete phase 1 but not without a death or two.

If I can manage to solo tank the whole phase, it should make everything easier...

Paruhdox
03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
its really not possible, when he enrages he will eat your Shield block charges up to fast... Unless you are a rogue with 100% avoidance it will be an issue. You can eat an entire fixate before the first enrage but thats about, it even if you stack a crap load of shield block... u will still take a good amount of damage. Essentially though for your information anyone who tanks in phase 1 has no armor its like 2k dmg per hit.

tamral
03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
its really not possible, when he enrages he will eat your Shield block charges up to fast... Unless you are a rogue with 100% avoidance it will be an issue. You can eat an entire fixate before the first enrage but thats about, it even if you stack a crap load of shield block... u will still take a good amount of damage. Essentially though for your information anyone who tanks in phase 1 has no armor its like 2k dmg per hit.

It's possible to solo tank him, just not during the enrage. This would be precedent on:

1) Having a lot of damage reduction debuffs on him. (demo shout, CoW type effects)
2) have a rogue tank the enrage. During the enrage, the tank can get nuked. have the tank pick him back up after the enrage.
3) tank needs a good 700 SBV
4) DPS needs to be fast. No matter how tough the tank, you have to bring him down before the second enrage.

Worldie
03-28-2008, 05:47 PM
He hits for around 1k, so you need about 7-800 BV. Paladins have this quite easy due to ardent defender tho.

You can't solotank enrages in any way.

Mysti
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Agree w/ tamral. I tank a full non-enrage w/ around 541 SBV. I pop pocket watch as soon as aggro is on me, I keep TC/Demo and shield block up, but I don't attack him(to prevent parries). Also, if you are not tanking him in P3 I would suggest using last stand(nightmare seed works too) to buy you some more time. If you want to go a little further and spend some gold you can get some Greater Ward of Shielding to help out.

Methadone
03-29-2008, 02:38 AM
We have all plate/mail wearers, rogues and druids take the fixates. Rogues with evasion taking enrage. Works fine for us.

Ratholorn
03-29-2008, 11:06 PM
I thought I was going to see a vid of someone solo tanking Essence of Suffering and was about to go 'wow'.
We have found that rogues are ineffective to tank enrages (about 4-6 weeks before the patch our rogues started getting one-shot) with evasion up ... we thought stealth-nerf but no-one else seems to have the problem so maybe it was just bad luck.
Either way we now go Warr Tank 1 for normal 1 (until Enrage 1), Feral Druid for Enrage 1, Warr Tank 2 for normal 2 ... and we never hit Enrage 2. The feral druid did once dodge enough to tank from Enrage 1 until EoS died.

maddfez
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
I thought I was going to see a vid of someone solo tanking Essence of Suffering and was about to go 'wow'.
We have found that rogues are ineffective to tank enrages (about 4-6 weeks before the patch our rogues started getting one-shot) with evasion up ... we thought stealth-nerf but no-one else seems to have the problem so maybe it was just bad luck.
Either way we now go Warr Tank 1 for normal 1 (until Enrage 1), Feral Druid for Enrage 1, Warr Tank 2 for normal 2 ... and we never hit Enrage 2. The feral druid did once dodge enough to tank from Enrage 1 until EoS died.

We've had a couple issues with our rogues dying, but we got them worked out. First off, your rogues need to tank the enrages with dps still behind the EoS. Second, they need to turn off their own attack while tanking. By doing these two actions, they ensure that RoS will not get any parry hasted attacks. Third, ensure that your rogues save their evasion for when RoS actually starts to cast enrage. If they end up going in a fixate early, they should just eat the normal damage (only a few attacks) and save their evasion.

That being said, if using the druid works for you, go for it :)

Lobo
04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't know why you'd want to when you can just coordinate it among the other tanks in the group and your rogues.

Our typical strat looks like this:

1st Tank: prot pally. He usually is able to stay in until the first enrage.
1st Enrage Tank: Rogue w/ evasion. They usually can't stay in for the whole enrage so I step in as the 2nd tank.
2nd Tank: Me (prot warrior). I can usually stay in until the next enrage, if not there's a feral druid on standby.
2nd Enrage Tank: Either another rogue or our survival hunter w/ deterance and aspect of the monkey.
If we need a 3rd tank our feral druid picks it up or I do if I'm still healthy.

On a good night, we need 2 real tanks and 2 evasion rogues and thats it.

Prot tank obviously for phase 2 to reflect deadens.

Phase 3 I've tried to tank, but the prot pally does a better job at handling the screams. I'd get one for that if possible.

Nez
04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
We do it very similar to Lobo's group, We use Bears to tank the normal sections, rogues to tank the enrages, and I ( prot warrior ) stand by to step in if anyone is getting too low. Sometimes I go in 1 or 2 times, sometimes zero, just depends on the hits taken. Then I tank P2 and P3. The whole trick to tanking P3 is to get the timing down on the soulscreams to dump your rage. And I also do the taunt rotation in the last 25-30% if I need it to hold the ugly rock face on me till he dies.

Splug
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
This is definitely doable, but not with the equipment you (or more importantly, your damage dealers) would be using the first time you see RoS. I would not recommend it at all unless your goal is to just make a video showing off your guild's DPS. In that case, you may as well just run P2 without spell reflecting Deaden.

Hrm... I need to get fraps working before we run BT next week...

-Splug

Kavtor
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I tried using 900 BV last week, and that was overkill (but fun shield slams in P3). With demo up, and decent armour, you can probably get away with 750 or so BV. I'm trying to load WWS to check the numbers again, but there's a long cue. If you can put a shield rune on, use a Fel Lotus, get BoSac from a pally, and a priest shield rotation, you can go a long way. Shield wall through the first enrage, and tank through until the second enrage.

Meatballs
04-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Greater Rune of Warding
Greater Ward of Shielding

Anyone?

Zasm
04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
I solo tank Phase 1 of RoS every week with very little problems, I use a mix of normal BT gear, 2 piece T5, and a few blue pieces. Just stand in until the enrage and let the rogues tank that like normal then go back in. The elixirs and stuff i use are earthen elixirs, agi pot, agi food, and a agi scroll. Have your priest bubble you on every cooldown.

Using this method I can consistently tank all of phase 1 and be at 50% when the phase is over. Just time your auto blocker well along with shieldwall.

Kavtor
04-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I could have managed it this week. Took it through the first enrage with shield wall, and stepped out half way to the second enrage at about 50% health just to be safe, but we dropped him before the second enrage.